Memories vs Life

A Modern Fairytale

Jiyong's POV

"We have a problem." Panda nervously said over the phone.

A long pause followed his revelation. I frustratingly waited for him to continue on. 

"We have a problem!" he said again ... well more like he 'dramatically' exclaimed. 

"I heard you the first time, Panda! What is it?" 

At times, I don't know why this idiot is still alive. Feels like I wanna strangle him to death every freakin' time. Makes me want to try if my hands can fit through the phone to reach his neck on the other end of the line.

"Okay, okay. Remember when you told Taeyang and Top yesterday about your 'ex-wife' who turns out to be 'still your wife'?- Ouch! Top-hyung! Why'd you hit me so hard!" Panda grumbled. 

That's when I knew Top is with Panda. I can clearly hear them bickering in the background.

I sighed exasperatedly. That Grandma Top doesn't know when to shut up. Guess I won't be surprised if the whole world would know about this already. 

"Ugh! Give me that!" A little more grumbling followed. And I am right. The whole bunch now know that I am still married, I concluded when I heard Dae's voice saying, "Jiyong-hyung! Why did-"

And I cut him off by ending the phone call. I let out another huge sigh and counted to ten. Any moment now, those two idiots - by the names of Panda and Dae - would come barging into my room to disturb my peace.

I am still at the GD Entertainment building where I have my own room set up. I tend to use this a lot more than my many houses. At least in here, I can distract myself with my music and the daily business routines.

I don't want to remember how it feels to come home to a wife and a promise of a family. I don't want to feel how empty my life has been after - I shook my head to get back to the present.

Indeed, loud scrambling can now be heard from outside the room and hushed voices debating whether to knock, and if so, who.

Saving them the trouble from their nonsense dilemma, I gathered my car keys and phone to head out. Best to get away from those idiots.

I suddenly burst out of the room, startling Panda and Dae. Around the corner, I thought I saw Taeyang and Top hurriedly hiding their arses. 

I directed my attention to Dae and Panda and asked, "What problem were you talking about?".

"Uh- I- You-" Panda stuttered feeling under pressure as I glared at him.

"There's a man threatening to expose your secret about your marriage to Ms. Dara Park." Dae said.

Trying to sound nonchalant, I said, "So long as there's no proof, why bother?" 

"Well, here's what happened." Panda finally gained his wits. "We - that's me, Dae and Top-unnie -"

"Yah! Who you calling unnie?!" Top unwittingly revealed himself from his hiding place. 

"Ugh! Hopeless. I don't know how I've become friends with a bunch of idiots." Taeyang followed out, nudging Top forward. 

"Jiyong, here's what happened" Taeyang started. "These morons told me they were gossiping in a downtown bar about your marriage. Then, a drunk man - who heard every word uttered by these bunch of monkeys - introduced himself as the one who handled your divorce. A fake lawyer who tricked the great John Park. And damn was he proud about it. He then went on about how he still has the wedding certificates and dummy divorce papers with both your signatures in it. He even bragged about how he also got a copy of your wedding picture."

I can feel my face heat up with anger. Sensing danger, the three stepped back to cower in fear and muttered some explanations hurriedly.

"Jiyong, we're sorry. We thought the bar was empty as we told the bar owner to close it down for a while." Dae reasoned.

"We were about to invite you to drink with us - you know, after what you've been through!" Panda continued.

"And we were saying how a fool you were to let go of someone as beautiful as Dara Park! Ow!" Top finished and received equal jabs from the other three.

"Where is he now?" I asked in a low voice laced with anger.

"Therein lies the problem." Taeyang said. "They offered the man to drink to 'oblivion' so they can trick him into revealing where the papers were. These idiots were thinking they should destroy those evidence. What happened instead was..."

"They were the ones who got drunk to 'oblivion' instead." I predicted.

"The next thing we knew, it was already morning and the fake lawyer was gone." Dae confirmed lamely.

"Find him." I ordered. "Hire the best private investigators to locate this man. I will talk to him."

I then walked towards the elevator. I need to go somewhere.

"We're sorry, hyung." Panda muttered.

I nodded. Looking back at the four men, I remember how loyal they have been to me. More than that, they have been like my brothers and I know I can't stay mad at them. 

"Things happen. We just have to make sure things go well our way." I said before giving them a small smile.

******

I must be punishing myself, I thought as I drove to a place I once envisioned as a home. I needed to get away for a while, so I used a discreet car and did not bring Top with me. 

After a few hours of exhilarating drive, I finally reached an old battered-looking house. Others kept telling me to sell this house but something's holding me back. 

The caretaker must have seen me get in the driveway as she is now limping her way down the porch.

"Jiyong. How are you my boy?" She greeted with her toothy grin. 

"Still the handsome me Nana." I jokingly greeted back and enveloped the old woman in a tight hug. 

"Nah! Nah! You're not eating enough, I can see. You're not handsome to me if you starve and overwork yourself." She started with her usual reprimanding. And I can't help but smile as I recalled the day she first met my wife. 

No, my ex-wife. I have to clarify that in my head. Tsk.

"You go into your room now while I prepare some food." Nana ushered me into the house. "You need to fill that body up with lots and lots of food." 

I did as she suggested and went up to my room. The room where I grew up. The room that held so many precious memories. 

Lying down with a pillow propped under my head, I closed my eyes to try to get some sleep. But as always, all I can see is her smile. Damn, I am a fool to still be thinking about her. After all these years, she still has this effect on me...

*******

(Continuation) Flashback Part 2 

*ring ring

"It's my father calling again. Maybe I should just answer to tell him I'm fine. I don't want to worry him." Dara said while gripping the ringing phone in her hand. 

I nodded and said, "I'll go get us something to drink." 

I headed for the vending machine to get some hot coffee as Dara answered her father's call.

A few minutes after, and with a cup of coffee in each hand, I gingerly crossed to where I can see Dara sitting stiffly in a bench. It seems she just got off the phone from her father. Not wanting to disturb her peace, I took that moment to study her features. Her beautiful features. I almost spilt the hot coffee when she suddenly said, "Can I go to your house?" 

The way she said it, the rebellious edge in her voice, startled me into asking, "Why? Something wrong? Is it your father?"

She just nodded slowly, not looking at me, but staring straight ahead into the water reflecting the city skyline.

"My house is not much. Drink this first then I'll take you to some place better than my house." I said, handing her the cup of coffee. 

Throughout the whole ride downtown, Dara was too quiet. Her thoughts were too far away. I have this urge to punch her father's face for making her suffer silently like this. 

I may not know her whole story, but I could feel how long she must have endured whatever she is carrying in her heart. It has caused her pain and the years of carrying that pain has exhausted her spirit. She looks like on the verge of breaking down. I know. I've seen it happen to someone before.

+++++++++

Dara's POV: 
(Continuation) Flashback Part 2

We are heading to Jiyong's place but my mind is still on the phone conversation I had with father.

"You are a constant disappointment Dara! You've turned into a like your mother! How dare you disobey me! If you don't get out of whoever's bed you're warming tonight, I will disown you! You hear me?" My father's words are on constant replay in my mind. I knew those would be his words when I chose to answer his call as Jiyong went to get some coffee. But like a fool, I thought I shouldn't worry him and reassure him that I am fine. 

But no, he did not even give me a chance to speak. He just ranted on foul words and thought bad things of me, like he's always done since I was a child:

Like when I was young, I was always forced to go study in a very strict religious charity school with classmates who would eye me as if I'm an alien since I'm the only rich kid in class. I was made to endure the strange look in their eyes. It always seemed that they don't want to be friends with the daughter of one of the board of directors and huge benefactor of the school. I am rich. And that pretty much makes me a freak in their eyes. I don't belong to this school, that's what I always hear them say behind my back. And they make sure I hear them alright.

Or when my father's rich friends gather for an event, he always makes sure I act like a proper lady and gets ahead of himself to reprimand me of things I did not even do.

Growing up, I did not have that many friends. 

Despite his negative thinking about me, I make sure to prove him wrong and be the opposite. I always do well in school. I never disobey his wishes no matter how difficult. I made sure that I am a perfect daughter. 

But still, he sees me as a disobedient daughter, a like my mother ...

So tonight, I vow to become who he thinks of is ME.

"This is my band's studio/hideout," Jiyong said as he opened the door to a garage type apartment. "It's not much but -" I cut him off by awkwardly by grabbing him by the collar and locking his lips into mine. 

Yup, I kissed him with all the pent-up emotion. All those years of being Miss Goody-two-shoes-prim-and-proper-lady to please my father is now replaced with the rebellious feeling of throwing it all out the window.

I can sense Jiyong hesitate at first but after a few seconds, he returned the kiss. And boy was he a great kisser.

As our kiss deepened, a soft cough from behind froze me.