Lost Love

A Modern Fairytale

Jiyong's POV

Flashback 8 years ago: Part 1

I am pissed. I need to attend this pointless gala/charity event of the snotty rich and attention-seeking people when I would rather be in my gig downtown. 

"Hey, you! Whatever you do, just don't embarrass the hell out of me with your nonsense talk about music," the arrogant husband of my mom hissed at me.

I looked at him with a bored expression on my face but deep down, I'm dying to smash my fist into this monster's face. It always pains me why my mom stuck with this bastard over my kind and loving father. 

In case you're confused, my real father, Jaejong, is not here. He doesn't dig this crowd, in fact, he is just a poor mechanic struggling to make ends meet. 

My real father loves my mother so much but it seems they had a huge rift a year after I was born that caused them to separate. My mom remarried this bastard beside me and I always wondered why she had to. 

My mom's husband, Joe, is filthy rich with an equally filthy personality. But because I love my mom so much, I had to endure this man.

"Where's mom?" I asked.

"Sandy will be late in coming here tonight. She had other business to attend to, which is why, she left me to you." Joe mumbled while they were ushered to the main hall of the event.

Mother and Joe have been preparing for this moment for months. Tonight is my official introduction to the elite society. I was shunned from this spotlight before because Joe is so against the fact that his wife had a son with another man.

But, after years of struggle trying to have a son of their own, he had to accept the fact that he can't. He cannot sire an heir of his own flesh and blood. That made him more angry with my existence.

"Joe! It's been a long time." One of the rich old men in attendance greeted him. 

While Joe was busy talking about business with the old man, I took that as a cue to make my quick escape. I hurried off to the unlit part of the garden to smoke a cigarette. 

Leaning my back against a sturdy tree, I closed my eyes as I blew the smoke out, willing myself to relax.

But then, a rustle not too far and voices arguing broke my peace. I tried to tune the voices out, not meaning to listen to their hushed arguing conversation but the sobs of a woman just tugged at me.

"What is that you're wearing? You look like a just like your mother!" the man's angry words were carried to where I was standing. From the sound of it, they must be just a few feet away. I was hidden by the tall shrubbery that they were not aware someone could be listening in. 

I wanted to get back inside as I am uncomfortable with confrontations like this but I was frozen in my spot when I heard the woman's sweet yet hurt voice.

"I guess I am. But how would I know when you never let me know who my mother is!"

*slap

A sound of a slap was followed by another sob. "You don't dare talk to me like that! I will call our driver to send you home! We will finish this conversation when this blasted event is over." With that, the man walked away, leaving his sobbing daughter alone.

Suddenly, something or 'someone' bumped into me. It was the daughter. I steadied her in my arms, her head bent. 

"I guess you heard everything," she said in that small, sweet voice. 

"I'm sorry." was all I can say as her shoulders racked with sobs again. Without words, I handed her my handkerchief while my other arm is still wrapped around her small, fragile body.

She took it and looked up at me. I was mesmerized by what I saw. 

A moonlight treacherously made its way amongst the leaves and branches of the trees around us to shine its way into her beautiful face. 

The moonlight that illuminated her features made me believe that goddesses do exist for I felt like I was in the presence of one. With her beautiful dark hazel eyes, perfectly shaped nose and delicate mouth ... I was holding a goddess in my arms.

I did not realize I was holding my breath until she smiled at me with eyes still swimming in tears. 

"I'm sorry you had to hear all that," she muttered as she wiped her tears with the handkerchief I gave her.

"Don't be." I said, not knowing what else to say. 

Heck! I am nervous. It's not like its the first time I'm seeing a pretty lady. 'Get a hold of yourself,' I thought. 

Just then, a new song started playing loudly in the background. 

"The party's in full swing. Why are you out here?" She asked innocently.

"It's not my scene." I told her honestly. 

"What's your 'scene' then?" She gestured a quote with her fingers, a smile plastered on her face. 

"I dunno." I shrugged my shoulders and smiled awkwardly. Part of me wants to impress her, seeing that she is a lady of high bearing. I bet she's one of those rich daughters who never had to work a day in their lives. But how can she be impressed with a son of a poor mechanic who struggle each day with balancing work and studies? 

Just then, someone shouted, "Dara!", which caused her to stiffen and her smile to disappear. 

"That's my father. I gotta-" She started to say but I cut her off.

"Dara. That's a sweet name." She looked at me in the eyes and smiled sweetly. Her smile does crazy things to my pounding heart. That's when I knew I must never let that smile disappear. 

So I did something totally crazy. 

I extended my hand to her, "Let's get out of here."

She looked at me then back towards the voice that kept shouting her name. Just when I thought she won't accept my hand, she hesitantly took a step forward and gripped my hand in hers. 

"Where?" She muttered.

"Anywhere?" I answered, not sure of why I even thought of this, much less know where to bring her. 

Her smile widened and said, "Anywhere is a much better option than being here." 

And with that, I grabbed her hand and we swiftly ran opposite the direction of the voice shouting, "Dara!"

"Dara!" 
_____________
DARA'S POV

"Dara! Are you listening?" Someone shook me by the shoulders and I had to blink a few times to keep my focus. 

I apologetically answered, "Uh, I'm sorry. I was just -" 

Donghae looked at me with worried eyes. "Are you sure you're okay? Ever since you came back from that lunch meet-up with Jiyong, you've been distracted. Did he say or do anything to harm you, coz I swear -" 

"Donghae, I'm fine. And like I said, we agreed to let our lawyers discuss this moving forward so we got nothing to worry about, ok?" I assured him. I felt terrible for lying to Donghae but I don't want him to feel anymore burdened about this. 

I need to handle this on my own, quickly and quietly. I'll show that Jiyong. 

Just then, Donghae stood up after looking at something in his phone. He leaned down to kiss my forehead and sighed, "Dara, I trust you when you say you're fine. But call me if you need anything okay? I really gotta go. See you at dinner tonight. I love you." He said while resting his hand on my cheek.

"See you tonight." I stood up to kiss him goodbye.

Once he was out of my office, I leaned back in my chair and let out an exhausted sigh. 

As I closed my eyes, a tear escaped and I couldn't stop the next ones. The effect of seeing Jiyong so close after so many years opened the scars that I thought had healed. 

And it's brought back memories ... memories of our love that lost. A love that lost meaning. A love that lost us.