Memory of Firsts

A Modern Fairytale

Dara's POV

As I closed my eyes, a tear escaped and I couldn't stop the next ones. The effect of seeing Jiyong so close after so many years opened the scars that I thought had healed. 

And it's brought back memories ... memories of our love... our love that lost. 

Flashback 8 years ago: Part 1

"Dara!!"

I was running away from my father's voice with this stranger's hand in mine. I don't know what prompted me. It could be because I was fed up by my father's dictatorial upbringing or it could be because I just got my heart broken or it could be because I have gone crazy. Either way, I know I've never been more sure about running off. Just for this night. Just this one night.

As my father's shouts grew distant, the stranger stopped abruptly and I realized that we have reached the back gates. He grabbed a helmet from the black motorcycle parked under the tall shrubberies. 

"Wait." I said breathlessly. "I don't do this very often, you know, running off with some stranger-"

"Jiyong. I'm Jiyong Kwon." He smiled. "And you're Dara." He shook my hand. "There - we're not strangers anymore." 

I couldn't help but laugh at his adorable quip.

"Okay, Jiyong. Since we're not strangers anymore, I hope you won't think so bad of me if I tell you I've never ridden in that thing before." 

"Great! There's always a first time." He said simply and placed the helmet on my head. He leaned close to secure the helmet and our gazes met. 

His beautiful brown eyes locked into mine and I shivered at the close proximity. Thinking I must be cold, he took off his jacket and wrapped it around me. I just mumbled my thanks as I still felt unnerved by the fast beating of my heart. 

He positioned himself on top of the motorbike and I clumsily followed suit. 

Since I'm wearing a dress, I let my legs dangle off to one side while battling with myself where to put my hands on. I felt a bit self-conscious so I just grabbed on to the motorbike's backseat handle. I can sense him watching me struggling with my position and my dilemma. 

"Ready?" He asked. 

"I'm ready." I said in a small unsure voice. 

"Really?" He asked teasingly. I looked up to see him smirking at me. "You might want to hold on to me." 

I shook my head. Suddenly, he started the engine, the motorbike sounded like a roaring beast which startled me into grabbing the back of his clothes. 

Chuckling, he guided my arms to wrap around his torso. I just loosely held onto him. "Trust me. Tighter." 

And what choice did I have? He revved the engine up and we were shooting out the driveway like madmen. I closed my eyes tightly as I hugged him tighter. I can feel him roaring with laughter and I was silently cursing him for thinking everything about this is funny.

***

After the initial shock wore off, I started to loosen up. Sure, it's still scary as hell but it sort of completed my rebellious streak. 

I tried to shake off the night's events and just enjoy the ride. But I can't. How could I forget when my heart is still pierced at the thought of my childhood love getting married? How could I forget the painstaking preparation of getting myself ready for tonight only to have my father shout at me like I was some ? 

I was so lost in my thoughts that I did not notice we stopped already. Only when he cleared his throat that I looked up to see the beautiful city lights reflected in the dark waters of the city harbor. I gingerly got off the motorbike and took the helmet off as well.

As I stood facing the sea, I succumbed to the rawness of the place that I slumped down and sobbed. I cried shamelessly. I did not care. He was still a stranger. Why should I care.

A short while after, his strong arms guided me to stand up. He led me into one of the wooden bench. Without a word, he handed me a handkerchief. I took it saying, "You must think I'm crazy."

"Nah. I don't think you are crazy-". He said nonchalantly that I looked up in time to see him make face and hear him finish, "A nutcase maybe. You know - krung2x." I laughed at the way he said it. 

In no time, he joined laughing with me and I couldn't find it in me to stop. I felt like a lunatic. Crying one time, laughing the next. 

Next thing I know, I was baring myself to this man.

"Tonight was supposed to be the first time in a very long time that I'm going to see my childhood love. He was overseas for many years to study and then start a business there. He made a promise to me when I was only 10 that he will dance with me when I turn 18. It was only a one-sided crush you see."

"What? Who would one-side someone so beautiful?" He was bewildered.

"You should have seen me before. I was such a homely kid. Big glasses. Big teeth braces. Big unruly hair. I'm a "late bloomer" if you'd have my best friend Chaera say it.

So I took great pains to make myself presentable tonight. Seems like he forgot. I just found out tonight that he is getting married. To make matters worst, my father didn't like the way I dressed up. He said I looked like my mom... and I've never even seen my mom." I sighed.

"Your mom must have been very beautiful." He continued, "Because you are." 

I could not explain it, but the way he uttered those words made me feel the frantic beating of my heart again. 

I smiled at him and said, "Thank you. Not for lying that I'm beautiful - but thank you for making me feel better."

"I'm telling the truth. You are -." 

I cut him off saying, "Enough about me. How about you? I've never seen you before, I mean, you know, not in the usual crowd my father deals with." 

"That's because I'm the bastard son of the legendary Sandy Yeol. Tonight was my first time to meet the elite circle of her husband's business partners." 

My eyes widened at his revelation. Everyone knows Sandy Yeol. She is a fashion legend and is married to a wealthy business man, Joe Yeol. 

"I'm sorry. I did not know tonight was supposed to an important event for you-" 

"Don't feel sorry. I'm actually thankful I got an excuse to escape that ... nightmare." He fake shivered.

"Nightmare?" I laughed and added, "It's not as bad as you think. I bet you would have enjoyed it if you were not holed up in that garden all alone."

"I'm glad I did though because I would not have met you - uhm - I mean, rescued you on time."

Grinning up at him, "Not til you see the gorgeous ladies in that party. You would have been stunned, I'm sure."

He then opened his mouth as if to say something then closed it just as quickly as the ringing of my phone reverberated in the open space.

*ring* *ring*

___________

Jiyong's POV (back to the present)

*ring* *ring*

The incessant ringing of my phone stopped me in digging up those memories the first time we met.

Cursing aloud in my empty room, I picked up the phone to answer Panda's call.

"What!" I barked.

"We have a problem." Panda nervously said.