Strangers in Marriage

A Modern Fairytale

Dara's POV

"Congratulations on your upcoming wedding, my dear!" I heard the old lady greet me excitedly. I'm on my usual morning routine before going to work, which is to grab a sandwich at the local delicatessen. Being a frequent customer here, I've become familiar with the faces.

I smiled at the old lady warmly. I gathered my purchases in one hand and went to my car. I was still giddy at the thought of Donghae's proposal last night but the idea of everyone knowing about this intimate information of my life doesn't sit well with me. 

I didn't think news would travel so fast though. I guess being engaged to a handsome and famous singer-actor does have its downside. 

I've always wanted to have a private life but being a daughter of John Park, the CEO of STN (Seoul TV Network) the largest TV broadcasting network in all of South Korea, I had no choice. 

I was pushed in the limelight constantly as the viewing public fell in love with a loving daughter of a rich father. My old-fashioned father took advantage of this and used me as a Public Relations Executive aka Company Mascot. 

He'd have me appear at company posters, Ads, events. But only up to that. I just have to smile and wave like the 'Penguins of Madagascar' while he 'let the men handle the business' 

So I was just that to the public, a 'darling face' that they can see but can't touch. But choosing to be engaged to a celebrity, I'm afraid that very soon, my life will be for the public to touch.

___________________

I arrived at the main building of STN where my office is situated. The security guards and receptionists smiled their usual greeting. Something in their smile tells me they heard the news of my engagement already. 

As I sat down behind my desk, my phone rang. It was Donghae.

"How's my lady this morning?" He asked.

I smiled and played with the diamond engagement ring on my finger. "In bliss. Good morning to you too, my lord." 

"I want to warn you, Dara, my assistant leaked the information about our engagement. I don't think it's such a bad thing though, because finally I can shout to the world that you are mine. But I know how much you wanted to have privacy -" He explained.

"It's alright, Donghae. I also want the world to know that soon I'll be Mrs. Lee" 

"I love you, Dara. I'm so thankful that I have you"

"It should be me who's thankful." I answered.

____________________

*knock knock* 

Minzy, my secretary snuck her head inside the office. "Your father is asking for you. He's waiting in his office."

I nodded and smiled in thanks. As she closed the door, I sighed and massaged my temple.

What was so important that he had to talk to me this early in the morning. I still have reports to do for this afternoon's meeting with the board.

____________________

"Father." I greeted briefly. 

I looked at the enigmatic man behind the massive desk inside a magnificent office. A tinge of sadness crossed my heart. I never seem to make him proud. He sees me as a disappointment. I've long since accepted the fact that I can't change it. But I hope agreeing to marry Donghae, as what he wanted me to do, I can come one step closer to achieving it. 

I walked to sit at the office couch and waited for him to end the call that he's on. As he put the receiver down, I knew something was wrong. He had a scowl on his face and as he sat down opposite me, he bumped his fist on the armrest in frustration.

"What is it, father? Is it about my engagement with Donghae?" I asked worriedly.

My father heaved a deep sigh and growled his answer, "Yes. We have a problem." 

"What do you mean? I thought you want me to marry him?" 

"You can't." 

"Why not?"

"You- you're still married." His words froze me in my seat.

"No. No." I shook my head at him. "No. It can't be." I whispered in disbelief.

"Yes. You're still married to that bastard, Jiyong Kwon!" 

Color drained from my face. It's a miracle I was still able to breathe despite this earth-shattering news. 

_________________

We were having dinner at my apartment when I told Donghae of the bad news. 

He was shocked but he understood. He didn't pry me with the details of my past relationship with Jiyong, though, and for that I'm grateful. I'm not sure if I am strong enough to open up the scars.

This is what I've come to love about my Donghae. He is always sensible, caring and honest. And he always knows what do. When I told him about my predicament, he went into a series of action plans immediately.

Right now, we are sitting in my living room sofa. He held my hand as he explained what must be done.

"You need to call him and arrange a meet-up." Donghae stated.

"I'll just call him. We don't need to meet up in person. Our lawyers can handle it." I evaded.

"Dara, listen to me. You need to talk to him in person so that you can reach an understanding. We are hoping for a quiet and quick divorce. You must agree and be civil. Be on his good side. We don't want this to be blown out of proportion." Donghae explained patiently. "Besides, this is a serious personal matter. You don't settle a serious personal matter through a phone call." 


++++++++++++++++++++


Jiyong's POV:

"GD! GD! GD!" squeals erupted around me as I alighted from my car.

Fans were gathered around the GD Entertainment building, as they wait to catch a glimpse of famous singers and idols signed under my management and also to get a glimpse of me. 

I am on top of it all. I am famous not only in the music scene as a composer, rapper and singer but also in the fashion industry as an icon. 

I entered the building as my assistant/secretary, Panda brought me up to date with my schedule for today. I held my hand up to silence him.

"I'll be in my studio. Don't disturb me." I instructed and waited as Top, my driver/bodyguard pressed the elevator to my studio floor. 

"Inspiration for a new song, Jiyong?" Top asked me in his deep voice.

I nodded. 

Those who work for me knows that when I ask NOT to be disturbed, it means I'm about to compose a new hit song but sometimes, it simply means I'm in a bad mood. 

This time, it's the bad mood. I just got back from a concert in Japan when I heard the news about Dara's engagement in the entertainment headlines. Any mention of her name instantly puts me in a bad mood.

But I wasn't about to admit that to this nosy man named Top. He'd only meddle and he can get pretty annoying. It is pretty known to many that Top is a ruthless and dependable bodyguard. Only a few would know that this big bear of a guy is such a grandma. He fusses over a lot of things regarding my personal life. Tsk. Good thing he didn't know about my history with Dara.

"I see." Top knowingly said. This made me scowl at him confirming his suspicions. 

_______________


"There's someone on the phone for you." Top said in his annoying 'i-know-something' voice.

I was staring at my blank music sheet. I've been here in the studio for over two hours and I didn't get any work done yet. "Damn that Panda! What part did he not understand about 'Do not disturb me'"

"I'd have to take the blame. I told him it's okay since you are not doing anything except killing that piece of paper with your stares."

"Get out." I said in a low menacing voice which didn't have any effect on the blasted Top.

"Okay." Top conceded. But before closing the door, he muttered in a voice loud enough for me to hear, "There's something with the name 'Dara' that I can't put my finger on." 

At the mention of her name, I stiffened and asked Top in an uninterested voice, "What?" 

"Never mind. I just thought I heard you mention her before. I don't know why she's insisting to talk to you though." 

"Who wants to talk to me?" I asked, my patience thinning with every word that's coming out of this grandma.

"Dara Park. She's on line 6 waiting to talk to you." 

As his words sink in, I cursed out loud. 

"Transfer her call to my personal line. And I want you out of this room immediately." 

When I calmed down my raging nerves, I held the phone to my ear.

"Ms. Park. To what do I owe the pleasure." I said coldly.

"Ji- Mr. Kwon, thank you for taking the call." She said in a soft voice that haunted so many dreamless nights.

"It's been 8 years. Of course, I'm curious as to why my ex-wife wanted to talk." I answered bitterly.

"Now there's something you got wrong." She muttered and she let out an awkward laugh.

"Spill it, Dara. What do you want?" I said impatiently. 

A long silence filled the line. I cursed under my breath, "If you don't have anything important to say, I'll hang up. You're wasting my-" I started to say when she cut me off.

"Can I arrange a personal meeting with you?" She said.

"Whatever you need to say, you can say it over the phone." I commented instantly.

"I want to mend bridges. We can't do that over the phone, Jiyong." 

_______________

We decided to meet over lunch the next day. I chose an exclusive and expensive restaurant, because this time, I can take her there and be able to pay for it. 

I was a bit late for our lunch meeting though, since I was caught up in some business problems over the GD entertainment artists' appearance in a music festival. 

She was already there when I arrived. I studied her before I made my presence known. She is still breathtakingly beautiful. She's constantly rearranging the table condiments, lining them up. I smiled as I remembered her doing this every time she's nervous about something.

What could this little minx be nervous about? My jaws hardened at the thought.

"Let's get this over with." I said in a businesslike tone which made Dara jump in her seat.

When I was seated opposite her, she smiled at me in greeting.

"Jiyong." She said my name, letting it hang in the air. Hearing the sound of her voice utter my name brought back memories. I scowled in my seat.

"Dara, pardon my tardiness. Something came up." I said, staring deep into her eyes.

Her smile faltered. "It's okay. Glad you still came, though."

"Have you ordered?" I asked, raised my fingers to signal for the waiter.

"No, I haven't." She answered shortly. "I just want to get straight to the mat-"

"Mind if we take a bite first? I'm starving." I said.

"Oh! Sure." She mumbled.

"What would you have?" I asked politely.

"I'll have a sandwich." 

I quirked my brows at her which caused her to hide her face behind the menu. I can sense she's really uncomfortable. 

"Fish and Fries." She muttered and studied the menu absently. "Oh. A burger."

"All that? Sandwich, Fish and Fries and a Burger?" I asked her, a smile playing on the corner of my lips.

"Oh no-no." She laughed awkwardly. "A Burger. A burger would be good."

"You heard the lady. I'll have steak." I told the waiter.

While waiting for our order, I cleared my throat and sat back in my chair, staring at her intently. She acted like she didn't notice and went back to lining up the table condiments from smallest to tallest. I'm totally enjoying her discomfiture. 

"Oh! Will you stop looking at me like that?" She hissed. 

"What? I'm just waiting for you to start to 'mend the bridges'" I quoted sarcastically.

She heaved a deep sigh. "I'm sorry. It's just-"

I cut her off. "Is this about your engagement to that actor? What's his name? Lin Dongho something?" 

"Donghae Lee." She firmly corrected. "And yes. Partly. Uhm It's about us to be exact." She added in almost a whisper.

"Us? Last time I checked, and it was a long time ago, there's no more us." I said in a voice laced with sarcasm. "You and your father made sure of that."

"Not exactly, Jiyong." 

The way she said my name brought back memories that I'd rather have buried. So I hardened my tone and demanded, "What do you 'exactly' mean?"

I can see her gulp nervously. 

"Dara?" I said in a low hiss. 

"We're still married."