Chapter 2

Be A Better Man

Ten continued living his life; he started to find peace when he started living in Canada with his senior and her boyfriend, Seo Sangwon. Minhyung was growing to look like his father as time passes by and Ten would miss his ex-lover dearly. When Minhyung turned 5 years old, he already started pre-school using his English name ‘Mark’, he’s a bright kid and he’d often play with Wendy’s daughter who was a couple of years younger from the lad. When he had turn 8, he already gained a lot of friends through the sports club that he had entered and Ten was happy that his son was doing pretty well. When the boy had turned 10, he started to question about his father’s whereabouts but Ten would just tell him that his father had left them before he gave birth to him. Ten had taken off Mark’s locket when the boy turned 2 years old and hid it in his special memory box that he usually hugged to sleep whenever he misses the person who had left him heartbroken years back.

 

One day when Mark and Wendy’s daughter, Herin were walking with Wendy towards their house someone called up to them from behind. “Wendy?” she turned around and saw Irene smiling at her, Wendy looked flabbergasted at her old friend’s sudden appearance but Irene lounged towards her for a hug. “Been awhile huh?” she smiled and the younger just nodded, “mommy, who’s that pretty lady?” Herin asked as she was tugging the hem of her mother’s shirt. “Hi, I’m Lee Joohyun but you can call me Irene” she crouched down and extended her hand to the little girl to share, “you have the same last name as Mark oppa!” she exclaimed while giggling. “Mark?” Irene asked curiously and pouted when the said boy covered his face and hid behind his aunt Wendy, “is he…?” the younger bit her lip and nodded. “M…Minhyung?” Mark peeked from behind his aunt and looked at the stranger who now had glossy eyes, “how about we all go for some snacks? We can catch up while the kids eat” Wendy suggested as she looked at her watch, it was almost time for Ten to be coming home from work and there might be chances that the latter would pass by the road where they were standing right now. The kids were eating their food heartily and Irene just watched Mark with fondness, “he has the right to know” Irene said while looking at Wendy and the younger heaved out a sigh. “Mark, promise me that you won’t tell your mother anything about this afternoon’s encounter okay? Not even a mention of the name, you too Herin” she said, Mark looked at her confusedly and nodded as he was taking a sip of his cola. “I’ll start over…I’m going to introduce myself again, okay?” Mark just nodded, “my name is Lee Joohyun, you can call me aunt Irene….I’m…” she paused then smiled at Mark, “I’m your father’s older sister” the young boy looked at her in shock, he was unable to reciprocate what he just heard. “I…my father’s sister?” he looked at Wendy and his aunt nodded, “Ten doesn’t really like talking about Mark’s father and his father’s family…” she explained. “Ah! I can’t blame, Ten…but whatever my brother had told him, they were lies” she smiled a bit as she remembers her brother’s misery. “Well, I have to go now…Mark, can I ask for a picture and a hug from you?” she smiled and the boy didn’t hesitate to hug his aunt tightly and he even took a picture with her. “Thanks, Wendy…this means a lot to me and my brother” she hugged her friend once again, “bye Minhyung…” she kissed the boy’s forehead before heading out.

 

After that encounter with Irene, the latter became much curious about his father’s whereabouts. But his mother wouldn’t even talk about it so he called his uncle Johnny in secret and asked him, at first the older hesitated but with Mark bugging and begging him he just said whatever he knew. That his father is currently one of the richest businessman in South Korea, that his father is a nice person and he didn’t mean to hurt his mother, that his father still longs for him and Ten until now. Mark thanked his uncle, even though it wasn’t much but he knew that what his parents feel for each other is still strong. When Mark turned 18, Ten decided that it was time for them to return to Korea and have Mark study college there. The latter had contacted Yuta and Doyoung look for an apartment for them and the two happily complied, they were excited for Mark and Ten’s return and the feeling was mutual for Ten too. “Mom, do I have to use my Korean name?” he questioned his mother as he was packing his stuff and Ten just nodded in response. He boy puffed his cheeks and watched his mother go out of his room when he heard his aunt Wendy entering their house. “Here are your plane tickets; you’re leaving in a couple of days. I also have Mark’s college application result here, you just have to go to his school and officially enroll him” Ten took them from Wendy and thanked the older repeatedly, “Herin and I are moving back to Korea next month too. Only Sangwon  will stay here for his job” she said, “oh and Ten? I still don’t know why Mark is using his father’s last name when he should be using yours” she said out of concern, “it’s because Irene noona requested that Minhyung should at least use his father’s last name” he explained before heading upstairs.

 

 

The flight to Korea was long, Mark kept on complaining how his back would hurt from all the sitting and Ten would just chuckle at him. “Mommy, I feel cold…hug me” Mark scooted closer and Ten wrapped his arms around his son, “I love you, mommy” he kissed his mother’s cheek before drifting off to sleep.

 

Yuta and Doyoung were waiting for Ten’s arrival, so after what it seemed like a full 15 minutes they finally saw a very familiar figure pushing a cart filled with their bags. “Ten!” they both shouted and ran towards the latter to hug their best friend, they heard someone faking a cough and they immediately let go of Ten. “Minhyung!” the two hugged the latter, “nice to see you, uncles” he smiled. Ten looked around and then he turned to Yuta, “where’s your husband and your son?” he asked, “Hansol hyung’s watching our son. He has soccer practice today” the older answered. “Aw~ I thought that this was a good time for our sons meet, since the two haven’t met each other even during our skype calls” Ten said. “They can meet later, but for now…Jae is excited to see Minhyung again” Mark groaned and Doyoung clasped his hands together excitedly, “can I be called Mark instead?” the kid pouted a bit making Yuta and Doyoung chuckle, “NO~” both uncles said in unison as they went inside the car. Mark had his headphones on while he was exchanging messages with his childhood best friend, Herin who was curious about what Seoul looked like, the older would by telling her that she should see it for herself when she comes to Seoul next month but judging from how she’d reply, the lass was whining from the other side. “Who’re you texting?” his mother asked and Mark showed him their conversation, “Herin….she wants to find out how Seoul looks like” he smiled showing his dimple, “awww~ see, Doyoung? He’s good looking plus he has a dimple” Yuta poked Mark’s dimple slightly to tease the 18 year old as Doyoung was focusing on the road. “Does Min-“ Yuta stopped when he heard the younger groan, “Mark, I mean…have a girlfriend?” the boy shrugged a bit while resting his head on his mother’s shoulder. “He’s not interested in girls and he’s a mama’s boy” Ten said while ruffling his son’s hair. “Okay we’re here~” Doyoung announced in a sing-song voice. “We’ll take you to your apartment later after having lunch and doing some catching up” Doyoung ran inside his and Jaehyun’s house excitedly as Ten, Mark and Yuta followed the overly excited man. “Is uncle Dodo usually like this? He’s not like that during our skype calls” the boy asked while fixing his cap. “Doyoungie is just excited, you know…We haven’t seen you for 17 years that’s why…you were like that ball of sunshine in our flat and you would slap him awake when he oversleeps” Yuta told him while keeping an arm around the boy’s shoulder, “when you and your mom moved to Canada, our place became really quiet not until I had my baby and then Doyoung and Jaehyun’s son came…” he narrated “what was the name of their so-“ “welcomeeee!” Ten was cut off, “Minyung! Finally!” Jaehyun pulled the poor unprepared boy for a bone crushing hug, “nice to see you out of that glitch screen and in person, Minhyungie~” Mark groaned for the nth time. “Honey, He doesn’t like being called Minhyung. Just call him Mark” Doyoung said while putting the food on the table. “oh! It’s okay I’ll call you Mark then” the said in English. “Uncle Jae’s English is really good” the boy commented, “I lived in America for 4 years that’s why I’m here man!” he said and they heard two boys groan, “dad you’re embarrassing stop it~” one of them said. “Must you embarrass yourself like this?” the other boy added, “oh! Hello! They must be Donghyuck and Jisung?” Ten asked and Jaehyun just nodded. “I’ve only seen you guys in pictures, nice to finally meet you” he smiled and hugged them. “Donghyuck is a year younger than Mark and Jisung is 2 years younger, he’s the same age as Yuta hyung’s son” Doyoung said. “Minhyung hyung!” Donghyuck ran towards the older and high-fived and Jisung followed afterwards. “How do you guys know each other?” Jaehyun asked while looking at the two, “facebook, dad…we were curious because you and mom kept on talking about Mark hyung so we went through your facebook friends and voila! We found hyung’s name and we became close too~” Donghyuck explained. “See hyung~ I was right! Mark hyung’s more handsome in person” Jisung stuck his tongue out, “so the person who hasn’t met Mark yet is Jaemin?” Yuta crossed his arms. “And Hina too~” Doyoung added. “Because Hina noona is in Japan and Jaeminie only opens his facebook once a month, he rarely hangs out with us and he’s no fun like uncle Yuta” Donghyuck said and pulled Mark towards their dining room, “there are reasons why Jaemin doesn’t really hang-out with them and that is one of the reason” Yuta grumbled. “Jaemin is also in love with soccer that’s why he rarely hangs out with them unlike back in middle school…Jisung kept on complaining that Jaemin rarely plays with them” Doyoung chuckled while pouring some juice on the boys’ glasses. “Hyung, we can take you for a tour later if you want…or tomorrow” Donghyuck offered and Mark just nodded, “sounds good” he smiled as he kept on eating. “Well at least one of my worries are taken off from the list…he doesn’t have to find new friends” Ten said as he looked at his son who was enjoying Jaehyun and Doyoung’s sons’ company.

 

It was Mark’s first week in college and he promised to hang out with Donghyuck after their classes would end. He didn’t have any struggles in speaking Korean because they were speaking Korean inside their house back in Canada and sometimes in Thai when the two were in the mood or when they’d talk to his mother’s parents. Ten was anxious with Mark’s first day so he had Johnny drive him and Mark to the boy’s school to make sure that he gets there on time and he doesn’t get lost. Mark sighed in relief, luckily his professors were nice but this doesn’t mean that he should slack off just because they were. After his classes on Friday that week, he had met Donghyuck at the university’s lobby, “where are we going today?” Mark asked while walking outside of the university with the younger. “We’re going to Jisung’s school…mom and dad are working late so I need to fetch him” he groaned and Mark just chuckled, “its fine…I want to see where Jisung goes to school. My best friend, Herin is coming to Korea three weeks from now and she’ll study in the same school as him” he said as they walked. When they arrived, they saw Jisung waiting at the school gate with his earphones plugged in. He pulled out one of the buds of his younger brother’s earplugs and greeted loudly near his ear, “HIIIII BABY BROTHERRRR~” he laughed out loud when Jisung jumped from where he was standing, “ah hyuuuuung! I think I’m going deaf” the younger frowned. Mark chuckled at the siblings but stopped when he saw someone walking out of the gate. His smile was like an angel’s, the way his nose would crinkle at times, suddenly Mark felt his heart beating erratically fast when he saw the boy walking towards them. “Hey Donghyuck hyung! Hey Jisung!” he greeted them with all smiles, “uh Mark hyung~” Donghyuck shook the older a bit and it definitely snapped him out of his trance, “this is Jaeminie, uncle Yuta and uncle Hansol’s youngest and only son…” he said while gesturing to the smiling angel in front of them. “Oh? That’s Minhyung hyung?” he asked, “hi, I’m Ji Jaemin…sorry for the late introduction, I know that you’ve been here for a while now hyung. Nice to finally meet you~” he held his hand out; “Mark Lee” was all he could say before shaking the younger’s hand. “Jaeminie wanna hang out with us? We’re going to eat pizza at our usual place” Donghyuck invited but the younger declined politely, “sorry but I have to go home early…my grandparents and noona are arriving this evening and I have to help my mom. Maybe next time? My treat” he smiled at them. Donghyuck huffed and nodded, “okay then…see you around, Jaeminie~” “byeee~ nice meeting you Minhyung hyung. Bye~” he smiled before walking. Jisung turned to Mark and chuckled, “hyung? Mark hyung? Hyung why are you holding your breath?” the younger asked, Mark was still staring at Jaemin’s back figure before answering, “let’s go eat pizza” he smiled showing his dimple.

 

Ten was at the grocery store with Mark and Yuta buying some stuff that they need at home, “mom can I get some snacks too?” he asked, Ten contemplated for a while then nodded. “Don’t get those very salty snacks, okay? Get me some crackers too~” “thanks mom” he kissed his mother’s cheek before dashing off. Yuta let out a chuckle, “Minhyung is really a mama’s boy. But hey, is it true that he has a part-time job?” the younger nodded while choosing some good meat before putting them in the cart, “I told him not to, but he insisted…so he went to Johnny hyung for help.” “So, how is he adjusting? It’s been three months and Jaemin said that Mark became close to him like they’ve been friends since forever” he grinned, “Mark got his friendliness from you~” he poked Ten’s side and the younger flinched then glared at his hyung. “Guess he’s adjusting well…especially when Herin arrived. Oh, I heard that Herin and Hina are good friends right now…” Ten turned slightly at his hyung before picking up some fruits, “despite the I guess…since the boys hang out often now…even Jaemin started to hang out with them during his free time. So since the boys hang out often and Hina and Herin are the only girls they have to be close somehow…” the older placed a hand on Ten’s shoulder, “wait here…I have to pick up Hansol hyung’s call” he said before dashing somewhere a bit quiet. Ten looked around and decided that he should make pasta for dinner before Mark starts with his shift in his part-time job later. Just as he was about to grab a bag of uncooked pasta, he bumped into someone causing him to drop his phone “I’m sorry~” Ten apologized while picking up his phone. As soon as he was now face to face with the stranger, his eyes widened in shock because never in his life did he ever think that he’d see him again. “T-Taeyong…” he called out his name in a hushed tone, Taeyong tried to reach out for Ten but he was stopped “I found you!” Mark smiled while walking towards his mother with a few snacks on his hand and a pack of crackers. “I also got some toothpaste since we were already running out” he chuckled while placing the stuff he got in the cart. There was something wrong and Mark saw his mother staring at the stranger with silver hair, he was so good looking but why was he having a staring contest with his mother? “Mom?” Mark tapped his mother’s shoulder. “I…is that M-Minhyung?” he asked and Ten chewed on his bottom lip while looking down. The boy sensed that something was up so he held his mother’s hand for comfort, “Mommy, who is he? And why are you two having a staring contest?” he asked, “h…he’s….Mark…he’s…” but before Ten could even continue, Yuta came back and saw the scene almost unfolding. He knew that Ten wasn’t ready to see him, “of all people, why did he suddenly show up?”Yuta thought, he saw that Ten was about to spill everything so he had to do something. “Ten, we should pay for these and go home…I have to go home~ my husband called and Jaemin had sprained his ankle during practice” he said while he was tugging Ten away from Taeyong, “Mark, get that cart on the counter” Yuta ordered while his mother was being dragged away by his uncle. “Nice meeting you” Mark smiled and bowed at Taeyong politely and utterly clueless that the said man is actually his father.

 

 

After that encounter at the grocery store, Ten became more conscious with his and Mark’s surroundings. The boy didn’t question his mother about that man because he knows that his mother will tell him when he’s ready so all he had to do was to wait.

 

After that encounter, Taeyong had been trying to find several ways to talk to Ten or his son. His heart ached when he saw Ten’s scared expression, Ten became vulnerable and he was all to blame. He also saw his son, he’s happy that Minhyung had grown up to be a better man and he looked responsible as well. Ten has raised him well. “Johnny, I have to get them back” he said while he was shedding some tears inside his office.

 

Months after that day, Taeyong had become persistent. He had hired someone to track his son and Ten, to make sure that they’re okay. That they’re living well in their apartment, he’d send them gifts but Ten would refuse to take them from the delivery guy when he saw who it was from. He’d sometimes go to where Mark is working as a server in Johnny’s boyfriend’s café just to watch his son even from afar. How he longed for them? No one actually knows. It has been years but his feelings for Ten never changed, he became a business man. He had taken over their company and gave his sister her freedom, now that he had that checked off his list. He just had to get Ten and their son back which was hard since the younger refused to meet up with him. So he had to do it, he had to show up to them in person.

 

Mark was walking home from school with Donghyuck and Jisung because Hansol had picked up Hina and Jaemin since he was off from work early and Wendy had picked up Herin. “Come on hyuuung~ just Herin’s number” Jisung half begged and Mark just shook his head, “I’ll give you Jaemin’s number in exchange” he grinned, “wha-what are you talking about? I have Jaemin’s number” he lied. “You do?” the younger raised an eyebrow, “okay I don’t” he admitted as his conscience was eating him up from lying. “Uncle Ten really raised you well…you can’t even lie!” Donghyuck exclaimed, “so hyung…how about it? Herin’s number for Jaemin’s?” Jisung held out his phone and Mark typed Herin’s number as Jisung did the same on the latter’s phone. “Ah~ young love” Donghyuck said, “well Mark hyung…this is your stop” Jisung said. “See you on Sunday for videogames” he waved at the two, “take care on your way home!” he half shouted and went inside their apartment building. Ten was cooking deep fried shrimp and kimchi stew when Mark had arrived; he kissed his mother’s cheek before lounging on the couch to do his homework. He pulled out his text book then sighed as he stared at Jaemin’s number on his phone, “mom? Can I talk to you?” he walked towards the kitchen. “Sure thing baby…what is it about?” he asked while tasting the stew that he made, “uh…it’s just…I…I like someone. And I don’t know how to approach that person” he suddenly blurted out. Ten turned off the stove and motioned for his son to sit down, “can I know the name of the lucky person whom my dear baby has fallen for?” he smiled gently and Mark looked down as he fiddled with his shirt. “J…it..it’s Jaemin” he answered while blushing, “aigoo~ Jaemin is a good kid…I don’t have problems with him” Ten said. “You don’t but I have” he was currently soft-spoken, “uncle Hansol keeps on glaring at me whenever I’m near Jaemin…and…how do I make Jaemin feel that I actually have feelings for him? I want to take him out, just the two of us. But I’m a bit scared of his dad” he admitted. Ten stood up and ruffled the boy’s hair, “he’s just being careful…Jaemin has a bit of a weak heart when he was a baby and he almost died. That’s why both of the hyungs are taking good care of him. They make sure that Jaemin is healthy and safe and happy” he explained, “I can make Jaemin happy…I’m sure of it” he placed his fist on his chest. “Then all I can do right now is to support my baby” his mother smiled and kissed his forehead.

 

 

Taeyong knocked at the door bringing nothing but himself, he was ready to face his son and the only person that he loves and it’s now or never. There were a few footsteps heard until the door was opened revealing a confused Mark, “may I help you?” he asked as he remembered him as the stranger from the grocery store months ago. “Hi! I…uhm…I’m Taeyong and I...I was wondering if…if Ten Chittaphon Leechaiyakul is there?” he asked, his hands were clammy and he was looking straight at Mark. “Minhyung, who’s there,?” he heard Ten asked, he wiped his clammy hands on his slacks and he saw Ten walking towards the door. “Hi~” he greeted, “w-what are you doing here?” Ten asked, his hands started to tremble again. Mark saw Taeyong shaking a bit from the cold air, winter was coming and the cold weather was becoming merciless. “Why don’t you come in for a while, Mister? It’s really cold out there” Mark offered and held the door open. Taeyong thanked the boy and proceeded inside; meanwhile Ten was just watching his clueless son prepare some hot tea for them. Mark offered them the couch and Ten was thankful that his son was very hospitable despite of not knowing who the stranger was. The boy sat beside his mother and smiled at the stranger, “why were you looking for my mom?” Ten held the younger’s hand when he had a slight eye contact with Taeyong. “I wanted to talk…to the two of you” Taeyong uttered while he was collecting his thoughts, Mark nodded and gestured the man to continue. “Mark, I’ll tell you” Ten spoke up instead and Taeyong looked at him, Mark faced his mother and held her cold hands. “Your…your father, remember when you kept on asking me about him?” the boy nodded seriously as he looked at Ten’s teary eyes, “he’s…that’s…Lee Taeyong…your biological father” Ten closed his eyes as let his tears fall down while giving Mark is old locket back. Mark hugged his crying mother to comfort and looked at the man, “uh…Mr. Lee? Can we meet up later? I don’t think we can continue talking. Not with my mother like this” he stood up and bowed before bringing Ten towards his bedroom.