Chapter 3

Be A Better Man

There was an awkward silence as both were seated on the park bench later that night, Mark clenched and unclenched his fists and looked at the man before him. “If you came back for us then it’s fine with me…” he said breaking the awkward silence, “I grew up without a father and I thought that it would be like that forever…but the moment my mother told me that you are my father, I had mixed feelings about it” “I…” Mark held his hand as he was not finished yet. “Everybody deserves a second chance, dad. You can start making it up to me when you’re ready, but my mother…” he looked down “I grew up listening to him crying in his sleep at times, I know he still loves you and a part of him still hopes for our family to actually be complete. You have to make it up to him, make him believe that you won’t leave us again” Taeyong looked at his son who was now shedding tears; he reached out and hugged the boy in his arms. “Why did you leave us dad? Didn’t you love mom? Didn’t you want me? I grew up with people berating me for not having a father. I just wanted to know why?” he sobbed as he let all his feelings out. “I’m sorry…I’m very sorry…” he said as he rubbed his son’s back soothingly, “I was weak back then…I didn’t have enough power to fight my parents…your grandparents” he tried to explain as calmly as possible but his voice broke down. “I didn’t want them near Ten and especially near you…who knows what they’d do? I never meant everything I said to your mother. I just needed him to hate me so he can let go of me” he looked at his son and wiped the boy’s tears, “there was never a day when I never thought about you and your mother” Mark hugged his father tightly, “I love you dad…” he mumbled, “thank you for coming back.”

 

“So, you actually met your father?” Donghyuck asked as they were eating at their favorite pizza place, Mark nodded happily as he kept on feeding Jaemin naturally. “How about your mom though?” Hina asked while looking at Jisung who was sitting pretty close to Herin, “he’s trying his best to win my mom’s trust back. He doesn’t need to win his heart though, my mom still loves him so much” Mark explained, “you know Mark…if our dad actually saw you being like this to Jaemin, he’d actually want to cut your hand off” Hina pointed out her brother’s and Mark’s intertwined hands. “Heard from mom that your father made you quit your part-time job, that’s sad…you were enjoying though” Herin said while taking a sip on her and Jisung’s shared cola. “My dad told me that I shouldn’t be working anymore since he’s going to win my mom back…we’re going to live with him anyway. And pretty sure he’ll break mom’s strong barricade pretty soon” he looked at Jaemin then wiped off the excess crumb from the younger’s cheek making Jaemin blush. “Glad that uncle Hansol finally allowed you to date Jaemin” Jisung grinned, “well, Mark was really persistent too…he’d come to our house and help mom or dad…he’d watch Jaemin practice whenever my father is busy or whenever Mark has free time from school” Hina explained. Mark’s phone suddenly rang, “hello? Dad?” “Mark, I’m on my way to pick you up. Where are you now?” he looked at his friends who were smiling widely at him, “I’m with my friends at Hongdae eating pizza” faint sounds from cars honking were being heard from the other side of the call, “Hongdae? Okay I’m almost there” “okay dad, bye~ I love you” he said before dropping the call. “My dad is going to pick me up, anyone need a ride home?” all of them raised their hands up even Jaemin. After paying for their food, they waited on the outskirts of Hongdae until Mark saw a familiar car pull-over, the car window rolled down revealing a handsome man with silver hair and an expensive suit. “Dad, can we take them home? They’re not far” Mark said and Taeyong smiled, the older opened the door for everyone to get in and once everybody was settled they went off. “Now I know where hyung’s genes came from” Donghyuck commented, “hello uncle Taeyong. I’m Jung Donghyuck and this is my brother, Jisung” he pulled the younger boy closer to him as he revealed their faces on the driving mirror. “Nice to meet you, you’re Jaehyun and Doyoung’s sons?” he asked and the two nodded, “hello sir, I’m Seo Herin” the girl smiled through the mirror, “dad, I grew up with Herin in Canada…she’s aunt Wendy’s daughter. Do you know aunt Wendy?” he asked and Taeyong nodded, “Wendy noona is my noona’s best friend “ Herin giggled and smiled widely. “I’m Nakamoto Yuta’s and Ji Hansol’s daughter…I’m Ji Hina and this is my baby brother Jaemin” she smiled and Jaemin bowed his head slightly. “Mark hyung! How are you gonna introduce Jaemin to your dad?” Donghyuck teased and Taeyong raised an eyebrow knowingly. “I’m going to introduce Jaemin formally” he glared at the younger, “maybe during a family dinner?” he looked at his father  hopefully and the older nodded. “Dad, I’m sure you’ll love him…Jaemin is a good person” he held Jaemin’s hand and kissed it making the younger blush in embarrassment. When their friends were dropped off right in front their houses, Mark made sure that Jaemin and Hina were already inside before he left with his father. “I think I’m beginning to like that Jaemin kid for you” Taeyong suddenly said which caught his son off-guard, Mark smiled “how’s the progress with mom?” his father smiled widely, “I think we’re getting there” he replied.

 

 

Taeyong would go to his beloved’s apartment every day before going to work to bring Mark to school or after work to fetch Mark from school or Ten from work. Ten was slowly giving in to Taeyong but at the same time he was being careful. The older still knew Ten too well but he always made sure that Ten has enough space whenever the younger needs them. Yuta, Doyoung, Hansol and Jaehyun where now far off from killing Taeyong right then and there when they saw him and Ten together as Ten explained their situation. Knowing that Mark made this happen made his uncles proud of him, the kid has a strong heart and he forgives easily. This was one of the reasons why Hansol has softened up to their friend’s son making his husband a lot and it also made him give Mark the privilege to be in a relationship with his son with a few conditions along. “Mark really wants a sibling so I guess it’s time for you guys to get it going!” Jaehyun exclaimed teasing the two who were blushing madly.

 

“What are you doing?” Taeyong asked as he wrapped his arms around Ten’s waist from behind. Usually the younger would push him off but he didn’t, Ten was already comfortable and it was about time for him to forget the past and move on. “Hyung, let’s start over” he whispered while glancing at Taeyong, “for Mark…and for the sake of my almost healed heart” he smiled then kissed the older’s cheek. Taeyong wanted to jump from happiness when Ten had said that, neither of them knew that Mark and Jaemin were just listening to them from the living room. Jaemin wiped Mark’s tears with his thumb and pecked the older’s lips gently, “smile…you’re really handsome when you smile” Jaemin said before returning back to his homework.

 

 

Ten and Taeyong were now a working progress, the older had already told Ten everything that had happened and he already forgave his parents for that. Ten’s parents were okay as long as Ten and Mark were happy with their decision, they were ready to welcome Taeyong back into their lives. Their relationship went back to the way it was 18 years ago, with all the love and happiness in it. With Mark with them they finally felt like they were a real family, but something was still missing.

 

During Valentines’ Day the next year, Taeyong had proposed to the younger and Ten didn’t hesitate to say yes. They got married months after that and Ten was pregnant with another baby coming up. Mark was excited about the news; he was going to be a big brother soon. They moved into Taeyong’s house mansion, Mark was trying to get used to having people do everything for them. Taeyong and Mark were very hands-on when taking care of the pregnant Ten, they made sure that he has everything he needs and that he drinks his vitamins daily as well.

 

Mark and Jaemin were taking their relationship to the next level where Hansol and Yuta would allow the two to travel alone provided that Mark calls them from time to time. Jisung and Herin started dating not a long time ago and they were very open to their parents about it, Wendy freaked out at first but she decided to loosen up since Jisung was very responsible when it comes to her daughter. Donghyuck and Hina were in a love-hate relationship but the others knew that’s where all of it will start anyway.

 

 

It was a stormy night and Ten was feeling a slight pain on his stomach, Mark decided to sleep in his parents’ room with them despite of him being a 19-year old boy. He felt something wet running down his legs and he quickly woke Taeyong up, “the baby…it’s coming” he said as he was trying his best to not panic. Taeyong quickly got up and Mark as well, Taeyong had led Ten to the car and sat of the back of the seat with them as Mark had volunteered to drive them to the hospital. Their son drove them as fast and as careful as he could, it was around 2am and Ten was already in labor. He was quickly led to the delivery room and the two stayed outside waiting for any announcements. “Dad, I should call uncle Yuta and uncle Dodo…” Mark said, “I’ll call Johnny.” When the two ended the call, they saw Yuta running towards them still in his PJs. Johnny and the others were running behind them “is Ten okay?” Doyoung asked while catching his breath. “We don’t know yet…it’s been a couple of hours already” Taeyong answered as he wrapped his arms around the sleeping Mark’s shoulder, “poor Mark…he must be exhausted” Yuta said while eyeing the boy. “He took care of Ten pretty well…he also drove us here and he kept really calm despite Ten’s shrieking" , he smiled as he kissed the boy’s forehead. “Yep…he’s definitely a mama’s boy” Yuta chuckled.

 

The doctor went out after what it seemed like 5 hours, making everybody look at him, “who are the family members?” both Taeyong and Mark raised their hands, the doctor removed his mask and smiled widely. “Congratulations, it’s a boy!” he announced and everybody cheered, “The father can come in and cut the baby’s umbilical cord” he motioned Taeyong to come in and he smiled when he saw Ten carrying their 2nd baby. The nurse gave him the scissors and he had cut the said cord before standing beside his husband, “you did well” he kissed Ten’s forehead and carried their baby.

 

After Ten was cleaned up, he was brought to a private room where everybody followed suit. Their friends and their kids returned with balloons and a cake and some flowers to welcome the new baby. “This time, he really looks like a combination of Ten and Taeyong” Hansol commented while looking at the baby in Taeyong’s arms. “What are you gonna name him?” Johnny asked while looking at the tiny baby, “we don’t know yet” Ten answered honestly then both of Mark’s parents looked at their son, “but we think Mark has an idea~” his mother smiled and everybody looked at the lad. “Well…uhh…” he rubbed his nape nervously, “I was thinking…maybe…Jeno?” he said and both of his parents looked at each other. “That’s perfect” Taeyong said and ruffled his son’s hair proudly. “Welcome to the world, Lee Jeno!” Donghyuck lifted up his plastic cup filled with water, “WELCOME TO THE WORLD, LEE JENO!” they all chorused.

 

 

Taeyong has taken the time off from work and decided to have a vacation with his family. Jeno was now 2-years old and Mark had just recently turned 21. He took their kids and his husband to Namsan  and they were lucky that there were only a few people there. The family took their time writing on the locks, a few simple messages here and there before putting it up. Looking up the sunset, Taeyong looked at Ten brushing a few hair strands off the younger’s hair as Ten wrapped his arms around the older’s neck. “You are indeed a better man” the younger commented and Taeyong chuckled, “I became a better man because of you” he answered and kissed him on the lips. “Mom! Dad! Let’s take a family picture!” Mark startled his parents and the two broke off from their kiss, he gave his younger brother back to his mother and he asked a stranger to take a picture for them.

 

“Our family has been the strongest despite of everything that had happened and I’m happy that everything became better. My father became a better man as he had promised” Mark said as he was sitting beside Jaemin inside a Ferris wheel. “And I’m glad that I’m going to be part of that strong family very soon” Jaemin smiled at him as he stared at the ring on his finger. “And we’ll start our own strong family soon, too” Mark said as he cupped Jaemin’s cheeks, kissing the younger to their hearts content.