Chapter 6

Thy Neighbour

 

Silence. Awkward silence fills the space between Sunggyu and myself. The two of us are seated across each other at the dining table. It would be romantic, with the hanging lights illuminating the area in a soft glow, if not for the awkward silence and the many pairs of eye staring at us from the couple of people who had insisted on staying behind. Although the apartment’s owner’s glare did not scare them home, it did hold them a respectable distance away from the table. However, the distant did not manage to keep out their curious stares aimed at our direction.

“Ahem … I’m not a stripper.” I decide to speak up when our eyes meet across the table, breaking the silence.

“Sungjong mentioned you dance.” Sunggyu’s words carries a slight doubt.

“Not this kind! I do mostly hip-hop! I work at the newly open dance studio downtown.” I dig around my pockets but turn up empty handed, must have left my wallet at home. There goes my proof of innocence; my employment pass is in the wallet.

“Oh … then what are doing here?” The homeowner probes.

I turn and point to the dino look alike male standing some distance away. “He pulled me in.”

“Dongwoo?” Sunggyu tilts towards his friend and receives a sheepish nod with a big grinning smile.

“I was waiting for the strip… I mean performer.” Dongwoo immediately amends with the thinning of Sunggyu’s eyes. “Then he knocked on the door so of course I assume he’s the one!”

“How did you know I stay here?” The ball is once again bounced to my court.

“I don’t.” The raise in Sunggyu’s eyebrows indicate his obvious disbelief. This is getting worse; I am fast turning into a stalker from a stripper.

“Really! I didn’t know you live here. I would have come down much earlier if I knew we are neighbours.”

“Neighbour?” He seems to have pick up the decisive word among my babbling.

“Yes, I just move in to the above unit recently. You left two cupcakes at my doorstep some time ago, remember?”

The paralyzing few seconds before the owner of the apartment nods in remembrance feel like a lifetime. Instant relief washes over me with his acknowledgement, at least I will not be mistaken as a stalker. My explanation however earns dissatisfied murmurs from the few audiences whom I think are hoping for something juicier. Waving and shouting their goodbyes, his few remaining friends trickle towards the main door, leaving the apartment after having their curiosity sated. Silence once again reign the space when the apartment is left with only the two of us.

“Ahem … I am sorry about Dongwoo’s mistake. I hope you won’t be offended. It’s a pity though; I would have once appreciate their surprise for a change.”

My ears start heating up with his words, the warm feeling quickly spreading to my face. I am quite sure he notices the redness and realizes his admission, seeing I am now not the only one with tint of red. He speaks up after our darting eyes finally meet across the table.

“Don’t take this wrongly! I don’t have some weird hobbies. It’s just that my friends have the worst ideas when coming to surprises. They bought me an iguana last year and I still get goosebumps thinking of it. So, watching a well-built body strip, I mean dance is definitely better.”

His voice trails off as he speaks but I heard every single world he uttered. I am smiling idiotically at his acknowledgement of my built when he speaks again.

“So… why are you here again?”

That jolts me back to reality. I cannot possibly say because I was fretting over my wardrobe for tomorrow’s meetup with him and thus, was thinking of venting a bit of my frustration on an inconsiderate neighbour who just happened to be disturbing the peace, who coincidentally happened to be him. No, this definitely is not any better than being regard as a stripper or stalker.

“Ah, I … I came here because … oh, because I wanted to meet you. No! I mean I wanted to meet my neighbour who happens to be you. And ... and to thank you for the cupcakes you left at my place!” Well, I am certainly amazed that my semi-working mind is able to come up with such a legitimate reason.

“At this late hour?”

Sunggyu once again has a puzzle expression on his face. I try to smile as innocently as possible as I nod repeatedly. I quickly decide to indicate my intention to leave before I do anything silly, like telling him, he looks cute with that expression or he looks delicious in his white fluffy top, just like his cupcakes. The two of us head towards the door and I am soon outside his apartment, bidding goodbye.

“So our date, no I don’t mean date, I know it is not a date … I mean our meeting is still on tomorrow right?”

Sunggyu chuckles at my slip and I almost want to hammer myself if not for the slight blush on his face.

“I am thinking of skipping work tomorrow.”

My face must have reflected my disappointment as he once again giggles.

“I will be baking at home and you can just drop by. I mean since we are neighbours, save us a trip to the shop, don’t you think?”

I probably sprain my neck nodding that enthusiastically. Sunggyu obviously is happy with my decision as I am rewarded with a brilliant smile. The next question seals my happiness.

“So it’s a date?”

“You bet!”

 


 

This probably will be the last time I’m writing this otp. Never imagine they ended before my story, which makes me ashamed of my slow writing. Thank you for bearing with my slow updates. I’m sorry if you find this ending not justifiable for your long wait but all my fluffy ideas for them have vanished with the departure. Thanks for reading, subscribing, voting and commenting. I sincerely appreciate all your support.

A side note, if you had happened to read my short blog piece or noticed my status, you probably know my feelings about the present situation. I wish everyone would continue supporting the 6 members and stop criticizing them. Just as one can choose to leave, one can also choose to unfollow a person in social media. I only hope Inspirits remember we can still be Inspirits because Infinite exists. And that is the only truth, at least for me.