Chapter 4

Thy Neighbour

 

The café has become my regular hangout, not as frequent as I like, since dance practices demand much of my time. Actually, I do not usually have time to dawdle there on normal days. I just go in and grab breakfast, which consists of coffee and whatever confectionary that catches my eyes. Although more often than not, I always ends up choosing a cupcake, just a different flavor each time. I am beginning to believe the cupcakes are drugged, which will explain why I find them so addictive. It certainly isn’t because I am hopping the patissier will come out and greet his loyal customer, aka, me. The many times I have been there since the pranking incident, I haven’t had any glimpsing of the said male again.

 

Rarely had dance practices ended early and I find myself standing outside the cafe where the sky begins to darken with the sun slowly descending below the horizon from afar. The café looks particularly inviting from the soft glow of the disappearing sun. A debate is still on going in my head. Should I indulge myself or head home instead, with my wallet and more importantly, my physique intact for the upcoming competition? Decision comes quick when the door swings open and Sungjong waves at me. We are down to first names with my regular visits to the café and him taking my orders every time.

 

“Hoya hyung, are you coming in? Or you are only here to stare at our cakes? Come on inside before you scare away my customers with your drooling.”

 

I can only laugh awkwardly, being caught red-handed by the sassy cashier. Following his footsteps, walking pass the counter where Myungsoo nods at me before returning to his book. I’m soon seated at a window table that is usually occupied during peak hours. The café is sparsely filled, with the evening crowd expected later.

 

“Your timing is perfect. We have sold out all the muffins but hyung is testing a new flavor in the kitchen now. Since you are such an avid supporter of his muffins, I’m sure he would be happy to have your opinion. Normally, it is just the three of us with the tasting; a fresh view would be most welcome.”

 

In no time, Myungsoo has served my drink while I wait eagerly for the new product. Finally, after multiple glances in the kitchen direction, an auburn male step out from the kitchen with a small tray of muffins in his hand. He converses with the two staffs behind the counter and I see Sungjong pointing in my direction. He hands over some muffins to the two guys before heading to my table. He smiles when our eyes meet. My heart immediately skips a beat and starts beating erratically as he approaches. He pops down opposite me.

 

“I heard you always buy my muffins. Do you really like them that much?”

 

I could only nod my head fervently to indicate my agreement due to the sudden inability to vocalize, earning giggles from the smiling male. Seriously, I think my heartbeats gone off Richter scale just hearing his laughter.

 

“Try this and tell me your frank opinion.”

 

Feeling embarrassed with him looking at me smilingly, I take a big bite and nearly choke myself by the saltiness. I almost spit out everything but Sungjong and Myungsoo beat me to that.

 

“Hyung, what are these? Are you trying to murder us?”

 

The two males behind the counter are gulping down water. With his attention diverted away, I discreetly spit out the muffin into the napkin, pretending all is well. He soon turns his attention back to me.

 

“Is it that bad?”

 

“It’s…unique.”

 

My expression must have given away some clue since he ponders with his eyes narrowed. Before I could stop him, he takes a bite on my unfinished muffin. Does that counts as our first contact? I can’t help but smile inwardly at that thought which soon dampens as he violently spits out his creation.

 

“Lee Sungyeol, you are so dead!”

 

I watch as he jumps up from his seat and storms off towards the kitchen. He stops halfway and turns back smiling apologetically.

 

“Sorry about that.”

 

He points to the mess on the table.

 

“Come back on Sunday if you are free. I will be baking another new batch. Is that okay with you?”

 

Once again, I could only nod my head enthusiastically.

 

“Just tell the guys to inform me when you are here on Sunday. Oh, I’m Sunggyu by the way.”

 

“Hoya”

 

That is the only thing I manage to squeak out. Trust me, I don’t usually behave so reticently. It’s just that my throat is parched from the extremely salty muffin. Or, it’s entirely because of the man standing before me. I think it’s some kind of infatuation, with his voice the previous time and now, with his smiley eyes.

 

“Myungsoo, please make another drink and bring something nice for Hoya. Sungjong, put his tab on the house. No, on second thought, charge it to Yeollie.”

 

After leaving instructions, Sunggyu returns to the kitchen where seconds later, loud squeals can be heard. Sungjong cleans up the mess while Myungsoo serves the drink and cake. They don’t seem to be bothered with the shrieks going on in the kitchen. Normally, I would be curious of what is happening but I’m still in awe to really care.

 

I have a date on Sunday! 

 


Pop the champagne, I managed to write a new chapter in a month! And the couple has finally officially met. Hope you like it and please leave tons of comment!

@ Deavea : Thanks for the well wishes. I just started my new job last week :)

@ kuntumriri : Jackpot for your guesses!