Chapter 2

Thy Neighbour

 

After a week of calling my neighbour numerous names, none of it even close to anything nice, I have discovered my neighbour’s real name together with a little apology gift. Seriously, I have no wish of rejecting the gift, because frankly speaking, the guy did disturb my peace of mind for a week. But of course with the two cupcakes, I am willing to let bygones be bygones, I’m not such a petty person in the first place anyway. It is definitely not because of my weakness for confection and the cupcakes just happen to be the nicest I had ever eaten.  

 

Now being a well brought up guy, it is basic courtesy that I should go and thank my neighbour for the gift even though it was meant to be a form of apology for the ruckus he had caused. Of course again, it isn’t because I want to know where he got the fabulous cupcakes. So here I am on a bright Sunday afternoon, standing at the corridor which looks very similar to mine except there is an additional shoe rack next to the door. The rack is empty though, which makes me wonder whether the owner is out. I guess there is only one way to find out. After pressing for a few times, the unheeded ringing doorbell confirms my suspicion.

 

Feeling disappointed not accomplishing my mission, I decide I might as well explore the neighbourhood since I am out of my apartment. The weather is warm and sunny, having cleared up after last night’s heavy rain. My week had been busy with dance practises and with the competition coming up in a month’s time, I really don’t have much time to spare. This is really the first time I have stepped out of my new home in the past week and not rushing off to the dance studio. The neighbourhood is already up and bustling with people out enjoying the good weather or doing their weekend shopping. Strolling along the concrete pavement, passing by shop after shop with much to offer, I finally stop at a small split road after spotting a café tucked in the side alley.

 

The timing is just right since I’m feeling thirsty. A piece of cheesecake or maybe a mud pie with an iced Himalayan tea latte would make a very nice tea break. A few quick strides and I am standing outside the café. The windows are sparkling clean, offering passer-by a good view of the interior. I can see the place is almost fully occupied, only the table nearest to the entrance is empty. Potted plants with tiny colourful flowers line neatly in a row on the window ledges add a homely feels to the café. The whole scene is picture perfect if it isn’t for the two guys jostling over a piece of paper inside the café at the entrance.

 

I’m beginning to doubt the idea of entering the café but a glimpse of the cake collection through the windows has my legs planted on the spot, with no intention of moving to anywhere else. Thankfully, the dispute is halted with a smack on both the guys’ head by a third guy who comes out from behind the counter. The trio soon move away from the entrance, two returning to behind the counter and the last one goes to the back, probably where the kitchen is. With no immediate danger, I tentatively push open the door and is welcomed by aromatic coffee scents and soft smoothing music. Sitting down at the only available table, I glance curiously at the piece of A4 paper lying on the table, forgotten by its owner. It looks like some kind of notice. The large letters across the paper isn’t anything unusual but the tiny words scribbled and cancelled under the main sentence catches my attention.

 

Cupcakes not available till further notice

 

Hyung is a lazy bum!!! He had already skipped work for one week!!!

No, hyung isn’t lazy, he is just heart broken.

 

Hyung is irresponsible!!! How dare he goes for tour, leaving me with all the work!!!

Hyung is only away to heal his heart.

 

I’m going to fire hyung when he is back!!!

You can’t do that. You are not the boss.

 


 

A big thank you to all who has subscribed to read the first chapter! I just really wanted to know how many readers are interested in the story. I see some familiar names after shamelessly mentioning this story in one of my other story :p

Thanks to all who have commented. Extremely happy that some of you like my writing style! As usual, comments will be very much appreciated :)

@ Deavea : Hope I wipe your disappointment ^^

 

"When will I ever have a chance to attend Infinite's That Summer concert?"