Youth!

さよならひとり

Y O U T H !

Chapter 2

 

No time for homework, at one point, the smell of 409 and pine sol was pleasing. Planning on eating, about three hours after this shift ends; the sight of unfinished food, and liquid crayon box plates is unsettling. Taking jobs because , the money is needed; being desperate, was never part of her everyday life. She was never the type to ask for help, or anything really; she wanted to be solely independent. But her old bestie, was right; someday , the time will come when, you want someone to take care of you, help and love you. At that time, being solely independent, sounds stupid by all measures. You’ll look up and the golden years will have passed by; no more room to have fun or feel anything.

 

“I don’t pay you to have imaginary pep talks!” Mr. Kim shouted, pressing his tongue to his teeth.

“I apologize,” she apologized, bowing,

 

Getting back to work, hurriedly ; her shift flew by. Running to catch the bus, she made it just in time; plopping into the nearest seat , that wasn’t taken. Sighing, she plugged her ears with music and set an alarm for ten minutes. The bus stopped a few miles away, and a young man walked in, wearing a leather coat,and a odd aura. Taking the seat beside her, tapping her shoulder; watching her stir from her abrupt nap.

 

“ what is your name?” he asked lightly, “ Areum, and yours?” she responded, “Kris” he replied, smiling.

 

The mini interaction ended, but the awkward energy lingered; surely there was a reason he woke her, and bothered with her name.

 

“ I can sense , you are nervous? I usually ride the bus in this seat, and it’s always empty. Are you new around here?”

“ Oh, i’ll stop intruding on your-”

“No, no it is fine,” he smiled brightly, “I hope to have someone to talk to?”

She blushed a bit, “ well, i’m new here and in need of a human map. Are you up for that? Could you be my tour guide?”

Kris sat there, cheekily smiling and shifting to pull his phone out, “ Only if you call me first.”

Areum laughed, “okay, okay”, she looked up , “ah my stop is here, i’ll call you tomorrow around?”

“ eight am, is fine, I work nights; i’m off this whole week though,so-” he flashed a cheeky smile again.

“Oh really? I will give you an early call, and see you then.”

 

Getting up from the window seat, he stood up for her to pass him. “ Nice meeting you, Kris, see you tomorrow.” she winked, stepping off the bus. Although the cold night weather, was harsh; she was filled with warmth.

 

⊱ ⊰

Taemin , finished his homework , tossing it to the pile of other finished work; on the parallel end of his desk. Resting his head on the desk, fluffing his hair; thinking about what to do, on this lonely night.

 

“If I want , I can go buy it, but that won’t last long, if I want to be careless, I can go drink myself into oblivion. But those two things are what people expect of me, and although I have done them once each; I don’t want to anymore.”

 

Leaning back in hs desk chair, thinking about those two options again; he decided upon one impulse decision.” I wonder what that lady is up too, could she use any help?” looking at his watch , reading eight thirty pm; maybe she is still there.

 

⊱ ⊰

Running home, cursing at herself for wearing a dress on a windy and chilly day as such. Jittering and angry, until the sight of her family restaurant was fully illuminated before her. Body growing warm, and heart lighter than before.

 

Pushing the door open, “ mom, i’m home,” the bell ringing behind her.

A small shuffle of noise , and a creaking door, “ there is my baby; how was work, you hungry, and my lord what were you thinking with that dress on?”

Making her way to hug her, “ work was tiring, I have hunger cramps and, I was an idiot today. But! I met a tall young man on the bus home today; his name is Kris.”

Squeezing and rubbing warmth back into her daughter's bones, “seems the dress wasn’t all bad huh?” ,she joked, kissing Aruem’s head.

 

Walking with her mom into the kitchen, the bell jingled, “ sorry, we’re not o...pen”, shutting the door behind himself, “ I am aware, I just, you?” . The two stared at each other, until Areum’s mother walked into the lobby.

 

He bowed, “ Ah, hello , I have come to ask you if are in need of help?” looking at the older woman honestly.

“ Ah, I could use some help, well extra help; cleaning and customer service? Are you capable?”

“Mmm, I am, Ms?”

“Jin, Mrs. Jin, Areum’s mother here.”

“Taemin, Lee Taemin, I met her at university today; she really is something.” he said bite.

“ If you are willing to come in before school or after school; i’ll pay you by the hour, but only if you do well.”

“Yes ma’am; I shall try for both shifts.”

“ Okay, pleasure meeting you Mr. Lee , Areum, why don’t you greet and walk him around?”

“Mom!” she scoffed, offended by her mother’s game. “ fine, this way, Taemin.”

 

Taemin, once again bowed, and followed Areum closely; her tour short, but fulfilling. He had remembered the layout and made sure of any exit in case of emergency as well. Excited about coming to work, he asked a simple question.

 

“You are the girl I met this morning, before school.Aren’t you?”

“ Watchdog guy?”

“ So it was you, well I will let you now, I am here because I saw the care of your mother and want her to stress less.”

“ Are you saying-”

“ Stop being so hot blooded, i’m here because i’m alone all the time and wanted a place that feels like home. You mother is -”

“ Are you a ert? “

“ What?”

“ What is it with my mother? First I catch you staring , and now -”

“ Your mother gives off a comfortable and caring aura, I appreciate that. So I wanted to see if she needed help. I didn’t know you were her daughter until now.”

“Hmm, well don’t you have a woman to defile and booze to drink?” she slither her tongue at him.

“ So you have heard, from the locals. I am a man, who appreciates women, and yes I do drink, but even that is rare. If you want to make friends, or even live smoothly around here; don’t cross me.”

“ A threat?”

“ No, i’m just tired of lies being told about me, and how everyone is assuming i’m this horrible, you know what, whatever.”

 

He quickly, left the kitchen, and was on his way out of the restaurant. Fixing his collar, taking a step towards the parking lot, “wait!”.

 

Stopping, “ what, the hell do you want?”

She grabbed his arm, “ to apologize, I was wrong for what I said. Provoking is rude. I’m sorry.”

Sliding her grip off of his arm, “I accept your apology, but you don’t trust me, and you seem to be like the others.”

“ I-”

“ Maybe i’ll see you at work or school tomorrow, but don’t ask me for help. Wouldn't want to ruin your day. “

 

With that, he walked off, leaving her standing outside the restaurant; not caring if she went back in or not. Heading to his Range Rover, turning on the heated seat, and bluetoothing his phone; slipping into the moving bass and snaps.

 

What if, what if we run away

What if, what if we left today

What if, we say goodbye to safe and sound

What if, what if we're hard to find

What if, what if we lost our minds

 

 

 

 

 

 



AN : I'm going to try and make a schedule on when I update chapters! Thank you for being patient, I must apologize for allowing personal matters. They took me by the neck lately; but I should be back and prepared to update more. Maybe one chapter every week on Wednesday's or Thursdays ? Let's aim for that. 

Let me know what you thought about the chapter though!