Warming Up

Handcuffed Love

 

“Now, any of you who was thinking, is thinking or will be thinking of committing that serious offence, you better think twice.  After seeing the consequences, I’m sure ALL of you will be able to grow and nurture under the care of the wonderful commanders.”  The commander of Choi Seung-hyun’s and Kwon Ji-yong’s platoon announced to the new cadets, with aid of the loudhailer in hand.  Almost immediately, one could see bright grins on the faces of the commanders, which did not really complement their bulky fixtures.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kwon Ji-yong’s POV

I almost regurgitated my entire breakfast when I heard the commander say what he just said.  To be honest, the canteen food was just plain… DISGUSTING.  And THAT was when I tried to make the food sound not as bad as it really was.  I mean… it was all mashed up and gooey in a gross shade of green.  Muck would be a good name for it instead of the cheerful-sounding, deceiving name:  MARCO’S MYSTERY MEAT. 

Back to the commander.  He was totally ‘ego-ing’ about how awesome his co-workers and himself were.  Which, as a matter of fact, was totally U.N.T.R.U.E.  Which kind Samaritan would ask a foolish and naïve greenhorn to run round the track 80 times JUST because he was about to fall asleep?!  Actually, ORDER would have been a better word to use.  Breaking my ‘once-broken-but-miraculously-pieced-itself-back-together’ heart like that?  How was I supposed to receive TWO shocks in a day?  I could get a heart attack, for Pete’s sake!  Note to self: Do not use chronic diseases for melodramatic effects, they may come true.  Another note to self: Have to google and find out who Pete is.  Anyway, the commander APPARENTLY thought that running around the track and making me sweat would wake me up.  Well, he was wrong.  Terribly wrong.  That just made me more and more sleepy because the sun… ooh it was just so relaxing under the warm and cozy heat… 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

“Atten…tion!”  The commanders’ ordered again.  “You!  Get back here!”  The commander of Choi Seung-hyun’s and Kwon Ji-yong’s platoon pointed at Ji-yong with his right index finger while his other hand gestured for Ji-yong to return to join the rest.  (His nametag read: “Kang Chang-won”)  “Saved!”  Kwon Ji-yong muttered to himself before quickly getting back into postion. 

The commanders walked down the aisles to continue inspecting their respective platoons.  Suddenly, commander Kang Chang-won’s footsteps halted to a stop in front of Choi Seung-hyun.  He looked Choi Seung-hyun from top to toe, as if he was some strange alien descended from another planet far off the Milky Way.  Slowly, his tight lips that originally formed a straight line, smiled.  A genuine smile at last, not one of his evil ones when he was about to torture people. 

“Now, all you youngsters, take a look at this fine man here.”  All heads start to turn towards Choi Seung-hyun.  “Here’s a good example of a sharp and neat police officer, the ones the academy is hoping to train.”  Everybody starts getting envious of the praise Choi Seung-hyun receives from the cold-faced Kang Chang-won.  This was obvious from the many fingers that pointed at the handsome face Choi Seung-hyun was proud of.  “You’ll make a great policeman.”  Commander Kang Chang-won whispered in Choi Seung-hyun’s ear before proceeding on to find his next ‘victim’.  By far, he was the FIRST and ONLY cadet that met up to the commander’s standard.  Of course Choi Seung-hyun was happy.  He just did not show it openly. 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Choi Seung-hyun’s POV

The commander actually complimented me!  Amazingly unbelievable.  Ah wells, I would have to thank him indeed.  For helping me take the first baby step to the girls.  *smiles happily in heart* 

Kwon Ji-yong’s POV

I got a punishment; the emo guy received a praise.  What is this world coming to?  Never mind, he has his accomplishment while I have my friendliness.  I’m pretty sure the girls will like me too.  *flashes pearly-whites at female cadets*  Look!  They are responding to me already.  Or were those tiny and dainty waves for the emo guy standing behind me?  *turns head to look at Choi Seung-hyun with his usual expressionless face*  I shall take it as it was directed to me then.  Wave back!  My brain was giving me good advice.  Good job, brain!  Note to self: Do not communicate with vital organs in my body.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

At the canteen table during lunch that day,   

“Hello!  My name’s Park Kae-rin!  Nice to meet you!”  “Baek In-sae here!”  All over the canteen one could hear warm greetings from the female freshmen to Choi Seung-hyun.  He had already been given a nickname: Teacher’s Pet.  Choi Seung-hyun got his wish of being surrounded by girls, for he was finally able to reveal the suave side of him.  Flicking his imaginary bangs, (all the male cadets were required to shave.) he grinned.  Following which, he snapped his fingers while saying, “Here you go Noona," in his deep natural voice.  Choi Seung-hyun handed over the paper that he just signed with his phone number on it before raising his eyebrows in a attractive manner, as the young female policewomen would have called it. 

Kwon Ji-yong, on the other hand, was not so popular.  True, he was the cute and harmless looking type but girls nowadays preferred cool-looking ones instead, as can be seen from the crowd gathered beside the new ‘teacher’s favourite’.  Still, there were some of his female future colleagues gathered around him.  He scratched his head in an awfully adorable manner between bites of the ‘mystery meat’ he was ‘enjoying’.  The girls, too, were fantasized by this act. 

It seems like both the guys were having a good time socializing when their happy moments had to end.  “We’ll be having our first training session after lunch, so hurry up with the food.”  Commander Kang Chang-won just dropped a piece of news that were good for some and bad for others.  Finally, the torture, or fun as those really enthusiastic might call it, was about to start. 

 

 

 

 

Had a hard time with this chapter because I was kind stuck><  Still, at last I managed to finish it!(:  Hope you guys enjoy it(:  Comments and suggestions are deeply appreciated and welcomed.

P.S I know Park Hyun-hee has not appeared yet but she will be soon(:  Probably in the next chapter, I promise :D