Reminiscing The Past

Handcuffed Love

The old couple sat in the rocking chairs made out of rattan in their tiny battered cottage set in the rural district and away from the hustle and bustle of city life.  Under that tiny shimmer of sunlight filtering in through the windows, one could see the man sipping a cup of hot coffee in a white mug while reading the daily newspapers.  The aroma of freshly boiled coffee filled the living room and wafted through one's nostrils gladly.  Pushing up his reading glasses, he turned the page.  At this moment, his features were undeniably shown.  

He was a man roughly around 65 years of age, judging from his bald head left with a few strands of white hair.  His eyebrows were thick and brought together in a knit; any youngster would be frightened by this aged man's grumpy expression.  His eyes, they were seemingly squinted beneath the grey pair of reading glasses that lay on his nose bridge.  He also had a white moustache above his small mouth.  Clad in a dirt-stained set of overalls with a straw hat and a pair of black boots, it made him look like Old Macdonald the farmer.  

Sitting beside him was his wife, an equally haggard looking woman.  She was just a year younger than him but they looked years apart.  True, she had hair as white as snow (probably the same colour as him) tied neatly into a bun that made her look like one of the oldest living things in that room.  True, she was bespectacled in order for her to see the thin needle she was trying to prick through the cloth she was sewing on.  True, she could barely stand up straight with her crooked back.  Without her walking stick, she would take ages to walk from one end of the living room to the other, literally.  However, underneath that crinkly and sallowed skin of hers, were powerful muscles.  Strong even to lift up the machete for ploughing, at least.  This came from years of training back then.  Back long, long ago when she was the infamous... Park Hyun-hee.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Choi Seung-hyun's POV

It had been about 30 years now.  30 years since I last put on my police uniform.  It was a great honour to be able to don the light green uniform complete with sashes and badges earned from my years of hard work.  As I looked back at those glorious days I was so proud of, I could not help but let out a deep sigh.  All my achievements had gone down the drain just because I decided to give up my career for the woman I love.  *stares at Park Hyun-hee with an affectionate gaze*  Well, luckily it was worth it.  I am now leading a happy and carefree life as a farmer with a loving wife by my side.  What more could I ask for?  

Park Hyun-hee's POV

I still remember the times when I was riding on a piano black Harley Davidson zooming past the streets with a police car hot on my wheels; the siren was alarmingly loud and attracted way too much attention.  I would be wearing a black helmet with a studded leather jacket draped over a white singlet.  In black tights and boots, I was practically one of the M.I.B - Men In Black.  Or in  this case, the Woman In Black.  Yes, it was arduous to give up my life as a 'renowned' gang leader in the triads but I managed to get over it with my husband constantly going through thick and thin with me without a single utter of complain.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

On a shelf beside Choi Seung-hyun's rocking chair stood a picture frame and a trophy beside it.  Look closer and one would be able to see young Choi Seung-hyun when he just got promoted to 'Inspector', receiving an award from the head in that police station.  He was, of course, sporting a huge grin that stretched from ear to ear, revealing his pearly-whites.  It was evident that he was thrilled by the extra badge he was able to pin on his uniform and the higher position he was in.  Seung-hyun was a dashing young man indeed.  

Beside the wooden-framed picture, the words "Choi Seung-hyun:  TOP Shooter of the Year" could be seen embossed on the gold trophy for champions.  Apparently, Choi Seung-hyun had the best shooting skills in his district and never missed a shot once he fired the bullet.  

All these were enough to prove that Choi Seung-hyun, noble inspector, found it hard to get over the fact that he had retired from the force.  At times when the alarm on his Rolex watch beeped to remind him to have dinner, (his memory got worse as he grew older) he would instinctively stand up straight (or at least as straight as his poor back would allow him to) and salute.  Salute the country's governors for their excellent leadership.  It was his natural reflex; he could not help it.  

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Choi Seung-hyun's POV 

Of course I miss the old days.  The period when I was a police officer formed the greatest and most memorable days of my life.  However, I had to give all this up.  How did it happen?  Well, to answer this question, I would have to begin when I first entered the police force as a naive 20 year old.