Chapter 10 (Kaibaek throwback)

No way!
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Three years ago:

 

“Whoaa… Jongin-ah, I can’t believe that I’m done! No more school, no more these stupid teachers, no more this stupid place… I’m leaving for college! Can you believe it?” … Exited was not even close the word to describe what Baekhyun was feeling.

School was oven. A chance to leave this small town has come. He and Chen were accepted to the National University of Arts. In a few days they were off to college and no one was stopping them. Baekhyun was so happy. His dream was coming true. He and his best friend together to explore the world. What more could he ask?! Everything was perfect… just perfect… except…

“Yes, yes hyung it’s all so perfect for you. I’ve heard you the first hundred times that you mentioned it. Now let’s hurry, Chen-hyung is waiting, and no more talking please!” …Kai hurried and left the older behind. For the past few weeks he had to listen to Baekhyun’s “hurrays”. Kai was happy for his hyungs. He really was happy but just couldn’t show it and he didn’t know why. He was indeed glad (did I mention it?) for Baekhyun but what was this heavy feeling right on his chest? Why couldn’t he find himself smiling and congratulating Baekhyun but instead frowning and wishing for the older to just shut up for a little while?! He just didn’t know why…

 “Yah! Jongin-ah!!! What’s wrong with you these days? You are unreasonably grumpy!” Baekhyun pulled the other from the wrist forcing Kai to face him.

“Jongin… Did something happen? You know you can tell me, right?” … Baekhyun caressed Kai’s cheek without realizing what he was doing and the younger shivered to the touch. What the hell? What’s that feeling? …Kai pulled away in an attempt to create some distance between him and the older but the latter caught him tighter and linked their hands together smiling.

“Hyung…”  Kai started but it came out more like a whisper and his heart started to beat fast when he saw the older coming closer…  

“Just tell me, Jongin” … Baekhyun said looking at the other’s eyes.  He’s so cute! What’s with this look Jongin? Stop being cute and tell me…

Meanwhile Kai was trying to find the right words but nothing came out. He was left looking the older’s face dumfounded. I want to tell you something hyung, but I don’t know what. My chest hurts… please don’t look at me like that… please don’t come closer… and please I don’t want to hear you again mentioning that you’re leaving… please don’t say it again hyung! …but instead Kai stayed expressionless and silent.

“It’s nothing, let’s go” …and Kai started walking the moment he averted his gaze from the older’s… What the hell was that?! Something is wrong with me…what the hell with this feeling. I have to go to the doctor. I think I’m sick.

Something was up. Baekhyun knew it. The younger was always the one to talk if something was wrong but Kai didn’t say a word and it hurt Baekhyun. For the past few weeks Kai was acting strange. He was distant towards Baekhyun. (ok! As distant as someone can be towards the one who he practically lived the whole summer with). Baekhyun was more than okay to let Jongin stay with him for the summer when his parents announced that they were going to be busy and absent from the house and Jongin seemed happy then too.

But for the past weeks that wasn’t the case. All Jongin wanted to do was to stay home or when they were out he was silent or talking only with Sehun. Something happened and the fact that Jongin didn’t come to Baekhyun first was scaring the crap out of the older. If Jongin wasn’t talking to him even though he was still here, there was no chance that the younger would talk to him when he wouldn’t be. He wanted to be a part of Jongin’s life even if he was not there. And Jongin had to be a part of Baekhyun’s life. Hell! Jongin was, is and will be a part of my life! Byun Baekhyun stop thinking nonsense, everything will be fine.

Hands still linked together and walking fast, the two of them found themselves quickly in front of the café Chen and Sehun were waiting. “Jongin-ah we are not over.”  Baekhyun murmured and entered first with Kai following moments after.

 

Inside the café there weren’t many people. One or two weeks before the fall officially begins and the most people were in need to enjoy the last summer days before the unwanted responsibilities knock on their door along with the chilly and rainy weather.

Baekhyun and Jongin walked straight to the table their friends were sitting. The table beside the window on the corner of the café. The cozy one, as Baekhyun refers to it. He lets Jongin sit always by the window as he places himself beside him. Baekhyun knew that the younger loved watching the people who were passing by as Baekhyun was chatty with the others.

Jongin was never much of a talker but he liked to listen to Baekhyun talking about every single thing that you could imagine. He will miss that; he thinks as he watches the older this time and not outside of the window. Jongin will definitely miss how Baekhyun always sits beside him and comes closer to him when he’s cold. He will miss the other so much. And that’s when he realizes what hurt so much before, when Baekhyun asked what was wrong.

You’re leaving. That’s wrong! You will leave me here alone! What am I going to do without you? Will you text me if I don’t? Will you miss me the way I will? Who am I kidding?! Of course you won’t. You won’t do any of these. I know you. You hate texting first. You hate the things that hold you back. Am I one of those things? I can’t lose you hyung.

Baekhyun was talking careless with Chen about their new life and Sehun was adding comments full of jealousy.  Being the best friend that Sehun was, he sensed immediately Jongin’s bad mood. The latter was in bad shape ever since Baekhyun announced he’s leaving. He has to come to his senses! It’s like his in love or something.

“Kai! We have to go to Lay’s house tonight!” …Sehun told to his friend making Baekhyun to face Jongin with a puzzled look.

“Ah right! I forgot about that!”

“Why are you two going there?” … Baekhyun asked

“Kai wanted to..” Sehun started but Jongin interrupted him before he could finish.

“Just to hang out Hyung” …Baekhyun eyed him suspiciously and so did Chen but both of them stayed silent for a moment.

“So when are you going there?” Chen asked

“In a half an hour or so…” Sehun answered and continued talking with Chen

Meanwhile Baekhyun was pissed. Upset without a reason and nervous. His leg was moving upside down without control as he tried to play it cool and focus on the conversation Chen and Sehun were having. Jongin sensed the tension and placed his hand on the older’s tight, making the later jump from the sudden toutch.

“Will it take long?” …Baekhyun asked softly Jongin

“What?”

“I mean… should I wait for you to come home or will it take long?”

“Well it depends, I don’t know”

“It depends on what Jongin?”

 “On how it goes…”

“On how it goes…right… Who will be there?”

“Some other kids from the school too”

“Some kids…perfect… will be your girlfriend be there?”

“What girlfriend? What are you talking about?”

“That chick… I don’t really remember the name. The latter chick who was all over you in Lay’s house the other day”

“That was weeks ago! And she is not my girlfriend! She was just…just a thing”

“Right!... And can I ask what are you going to do there?”

“Just hang out…”  Jongin averted his gaze from the older. He hated how vulnerable Baekhyun could make him. But this time he couldn’t give in. He had a goal and Lay was going to help him! I won’t let you leave me behind Baekhyun! Just wait for me!

“Jongin!..” …Baekhyun was furious. He was craving to know what the younger was keeping secret from him. But Sehun interrupted their little talk.

“Kai! Sorry hyung that I have to interrupt your little love-fight but we have to go” …Sehun grinned…

“It’s not a love-fight,zou brat! And Kim Jongin, it’s not over!” …Baekhyun’s cheeks were pink. He was furious at the youngers and he didn’t even know why.

 “And what’s with the nickname? These days you call him only Kai. Why?” …Chen tried to ignore his friend reaction and asked something irrelevant. Baekhyun and Jongin’s actions were driving him mad these past few weeks. They have always been close b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter