Five

Crawling With Two Legs

“Jongin, Get your out of bed!” The man had planned to miss school today. Last night, he turned off his alarm so he could sleep in, but his mom wasn’t going to let that happen.

“Mom, I’m so tired! Can I just stay and... you know…sleep?!”

“Do you really think I would let you stay?!”

“Aish!” Jongin’s upper body rose from the bed like a mummy coming to life.

“Hurry up, you only have 20 minutes until school starts! I’m going to work now!” With that the front door slammed and the car outside took off.

Jongin got out of bed and searched for his uniform. Once he found it he went to the bathroom to brush his teeth when he received a text message.

‘Hey, are you going to school today?’

Jongin set the toothbrush to the side to reply. ‘Yeah, I’m going to be late to first class though.’

He started brushing his teeth, expecting his friend to text back, but that didn’t happen. Only when he was in the middle of washing his face the ring boomed, Jongin’s eyes flipped open in response and the soap made their way into his eyes. He jerked his head up and flung his arms around searching for the nearest towel. Succeeding to wipe the soap out as best as he could but they remained stinging.

‘Good because you’re buying lunch today. I’m broke.’ Jongin let out a sigh as he set his phone down again. He started to rub at his eyes, then put on his school uniform. Before taking off in his car, he saw a small man walk into the house across the street. Jongin had never seen the kid before because no one really went in or out of that house.

‘You’re going to buy my food right?’ Jongin’s attention went to the text he received.

‘No, looks like you’re not eating today.” Jongin let out a little laugh and pulled out of his driveway, forgetting about the boy he just saw.

---

“Jongin, slow down!” Kai was walking down the hall in a hurry because he had 3 minutes left before class started.

“Kris, why’re you late?” Jongin’s brow went up.

“I was studying last night.” He finally caught up and started inhaling rapidly. Jongin walked slower so we could talk and he could catch his breathe.

“Why waste your time lying to me?”

“Can I have a little complement for trying at least?”

“No.” Jongin looked up to see an empty hallway and Kris laid his elbow on his shoulder. Since 5 years ago, Kris has always been doing this, so Jongin just continued looking forward again to see their class close by.

Being in the same class as Kris was much easier for him. Kris was always by his side asking for food, making fun of his height (although Kris is a giant towards everyone), and just being annoying, but that was the reason Jongin could get use to him.

They turned into the class and everyone just looked up unsurprised because they were always late. Kris smiled a little and picked up his elbow to go sit in his seat, next to the school’s nerd, Baekhyun.

Baekhyun was a gay smartass kid, but it wasn’t that weird, considering that it was an all-boys school. It seemed like a small partial group of guys turned gay while spending four years here. Jongin knew he wasn’t gay but spending time with Kris was becoming uncomfortable because he never heard about him making out with a girl, although he never heard him kissing a guy either, he couldn’t stop thinking about the small possibility.

Jongin went to go take a seat next to a bully named Chen, but Chen never bothered Jongin. Jongin thinks Chen was just mean to everyone because he started this school without any friends, but he’s constantly picking on people so he has a few close buddies. Every day at lunch, he’ll meet up with Sehun and Lay.

Sehun wasn’t very rude to people, but his appearance was scary so people avoided talking to him. Until Chen picked on him, but they became close friends since he thought Sehun could be his “underling.” Rumors about Sehun would be the suspicion of him dating the boy who’s well known for taking care of his looks, Luhan who tends to flirt with everyone when some cheesy popped into his head.

The teacher finally started class, repeating what the news reporter had stated this morning. Chen wasn’t paying attention though, he was busy texting someone with his eyes smiling so Jongin leaned back in his chair trying to see the name of the receiver.

Before he could see anything more than ‘I miss him’, Chen turned his phone on snooze and looked up before Jongin had a chance to turn his head away. Chen’s eyes grew wide for a moment but he started to scowl. Jongin’s attention cease to exist not even halfway in the teacher’s continuous talking and his head laid down on the surface of his desk.

There was a little poke on his cheek and when he opened his eyes, he saw Xiumin with his big eyes. Jongin could always identify him within a second because he reminded Jongin of an alien. “Hey, class is over. I think you fell asleep.” Xiumin would’ve been a friend but when he confessed to Jongin it just became awkward.

“Oh, hey, it’s been awhile.” Xiumin looked down and turned a bit pink. ‘Gross’ Jongin thought.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t think things would come between us. I thought you liked me too, but to be honest, I still like you a bit, but are we okay to be friends?”

“I suppose...” Jongin smiled to make him comfortable but inside he was dying to be far away from him.

“Well maybe I’ll see you around,” the short boy smiled cheerfully and rushed off before Jongin started gathering his things when a tall slender boy walked in with the teacher. The boy looked at him. It was hard not to notice the dark circles beneath his eyes. He seemed tough, but since he was wearing a school uniform Jongin couldn’t examine how fit he was.

“This will be your class.” The teacher turned around and saw Jongin, whom bowed respectfully to the teacher and then the boy. “This is Jongin, he is one of your new classmates.”

“Hello, I’m Zitao.” The boy bowed back in return.

“Well, Jongin you may go.” The teacher turned back to Zitao and began to explain the daily schedule while the other student rushed out the door to find Kris.


I need a friend to remind me to update this story OTL