One

Crawling With Two Legs

It was the child’s eighth birthday, a lonely kid that was bullied in school. His parents treated him like a little prince, although they knew about the little abuse from school when he came home with bruises or scratches. Today they went out for dinner to surprise him with a birthday treat delivered by the servers that sang the traditional happy birthday song. The cake was small enough for five people, it was layered with vanilla and chocolate. The top had icing and sprinkles with small strips of blue forming the words “Happy Birthday, Our Beloved Son.”

The mother pulled out a large striped bag with tissue paper trying to escape at the top and the father pulled the cake aside to cut the slices. A large and unexpectedly light box was taken out. The plastic in front revealed that nothing was inside, but his parents were smiling widely before a small bark appeared from behind the boy and he quickly turned around to see a small pit-bull with water in his eyes. Man’s best friend, a new companion to keep him from being lonely.

A card with a little boy on the front holding 2 balloons was handed to their son. When he turned opened the card there was some messages in ink written out for him with care:

“No matter how many birthdays come and go you’ll always be my little boy.We know your life has been hard, but everyone will go through rough times, but we know you’re very strong boy so everything will be okay. Love mom”

“It hurts to see my boy in pain, in order to learn strength by receiving the wounds from others. During the past few days I have been thinking about you and I realized it’s time for me to begin acting like a father I am. I have been hiding on the side, watching how you handle things and grow up, but I’m tired of seeing you get hurt. Please forgive me, my son. Stay strong, Dad”

After reading their words it was hard to look up. Their hands wrap around him as tension rose up in his body, and tears ran down his small face. They stayed in that position for a moment when the dad had let go to give them a slice of cake. The boy’s tears were starting to build up once again when he realized this cake was strangely tastier than all the others he’s had.

After dinner te dad was the one driving the car while the mom sat in the back with their child holding him in her arms and singing a lullaby to soothe the family’s hearts.

“Son, what is your puppy’s name?” the father’s husky voice asked. The child had completely forgotten about his new companion and decided he wanted to name the pet something that had meaning.

“What about Bom..mi?” He’d taken the first few letters of “treasure” to create what he felt would fit.

“That sounds cu-”

“GET DOWN!” the father boomed cutting off the mother. Her grip got tighter and she leaned over the birthday boy, not knowing what was happening. Bommi’s barks filled the small space inside the car as it competed with a loud honk from a large diesel in the wrong aisle.

The car was not able to move out of the way before the vehicle smashed it to the side. The father’s head flung forward and hit the corner of the dashboard before the airbag blew up and the mother was screaming as the car was pushed to the edge of the road.

As her side of the car had closed the space between the ground and the window, her head was pulled back and smashed through the glass, bashing into the ground before the vechicle was in the air again.

When everything had stopped, the kid’s pair of eyes only looked at his mother. Her face was covered in blood. eyes were still opened still filled with terror, but he couldn’t cry. He was too shocked to do anything besides scrambling away from her until his foot stomped on an animal that was beaten to death with several shards of glass coating his fur accompanied with the dark red liquid coming from inside.

My family is dead.

His cries of sorrow grew louder until being disturbed with a groan coming from the front seat. “Son?” he got closer to his dad. “Are you okay?” These words brought the child to realize how much his head was hurting from the mom’s head banging into his.

“Where’s your mom?” The man lifted his head in alert. His eyes lying upon his wife’s deceased body, then he stared down at his child until his eyes could no longer stay open without crying. The boy reached towards him to look for comfort but the front window was smashed open with a steel bar.

A man smiled at his father and the child pushed me back by his parent before the stranger’s grip tightened around the bar and jerked the end at the head of the lone father.

“STOP! STOP IT!” The young man was trying his best to stop the man from bashing his father's head but it wouldn’t make a difference because father’s last breath was already gone. The kid looked around, grabbed his shoe, aimed it at the mad man’s head throwing it as hard as he could.

It had hit the man, but he turned to him with a smile reaching the ends of his insane face.

“You’re a tough little kid, aren’t ya?” He grabbed his wrist and the boy kicked at the man’s face, but this crazy man only smiled more and said, what might’ve sickened the poor kid’s heart,

“I like you.”