One

Help us (just this once)

Seungho looked over at s, who were slouching in the seats behind him, exhausted after the gruelling practise. Mir was half-asleep on Byunghee's shoulder, his eyes lidded as he made an attempt every now and then to push himself back up into a sitting position. Byunghee himself was leaning on the window, his face turned away. Seungho couldn't tell whether he was awake or even asleep.

He breathed out and leaned his forehead on the window, staring out as the city flew by. He was almost glad that the car they almost always used had broken down - he didn't think they would be able to drive.

Up at the front, the driver called back, "Few more minutse to go now until we are there, so I would advise it best for you to wake up." The long drone of his voice barely registered in Seungho's ears. He mumbled something and leaned over, nudging Mir, who didn't stir, and Byunghee, who just turned and continued sleeping.

Sungho palmed his forehead. 

Should've execpted that.

"Guys, you have to wake up, we're nearly there. I'll let you sleep when we get back - wait what ...?" Seungho broke off as he leaned further foreward, staring up the road. "Is that ... oh holy motherer of god no -"

A moment later, the driver let out an almost girlish scream as the truck, which was flailing around wildly, came careening towards them, out of control. He yanked on the wheel, and the car jerked sideways, but it was too late.

"Hyung? Wha - " Mir started, awake from the sharp turn, then screamed as his eyes grew wide and his sentence stuttered out. He pressed himself back on the seat.

Ten metres away. Nine metres away. Eight metres away. Six. Four. Two. Then at the last moment, Seungho realized that there was no chance of it missing them. One thought blazed inside his mind.

Protect them.

He released the seatbelt that he had been holding in a gripso tight that his knuckles had lost their colour, and as the truck barreled down on them, its huge bulk filling the windows, Seungoh threw himself on top of the other members, forcing them back into the car door as the front of the truck burst through the side window and the huge crash resonated through the air. 

"Hyung!!" 

The car doors bent in like rubber, and the space became suffocatingly tight as the finale approached - the trailer of the truck started to lean and its shadow fell over them. 

"No ... ... get down, get down get down get down get DOWN!" Seungoh yelled, summoning every last shred of strength in his body to push the others into the small, sheltered area below the seats.

Byunghee was frozen in shock, but he managed to scream, "Seungho hyung!!" he reached out to grab him, but before he could move -

He saw a flicker of red inside the truck, and his heart stopped beating. " ... we need to -"

That was all he had managed to say before the truck collapsed with a boom that was slightly muffled, throwing the smaller vehicle several feet into the air.

It was so sudden.

All around them, the ambulance's lights were flashing, the passing cars of the street had stopped, their drivers coming out of their vehicles, and the police lights and sirens, wailing in the distance, and the two wrecked machines, lying on their sides, both smoking large black clouds into the air -

But all he and Mir could focus on was the prone body of their beloved hyung, sprawled over theirs and sheilding them from the impact - unmoving.

 

"H-hyung ..." Mir croaked out, as he somehow managed to push himself up as the paramedics came running out of the vehicles towards them. He crawled over to Seungho's side. "Hyung - wake up, you can't ... hyung ..." the maknae' eyes were slightly glazed as they brimmed with tears, as he finally collapsed onto the body of his unconsious hyung, clinging onto his jacket. Byunghee turned his face away as he buried his head in hid arms, attempting to hide his tears - but it was no use. He finally pulled himself together and plastered a reassuring expression on his face as he gently pulled at Mir's arm.

"Cheolyeongie ... let go now." Mir didn't move, and Byunghee's throat constricted as he saw the younger's shoulder shaking. He gently circled his arms around him, and prised him away. "Let the paramedics take care of Seungho hyung, ne? So he can wake up sooner." he murmered into the youngest's ear as they both cried silently, ignoring the offers of the paramedics to take them onto a stretcher.

"Cheolyong, we need to get you checked up ... and me maybe ... come on. Let's go ..." Byunghee said quietly as he saw the medic standing a bit away from them, with a first aid kit in her hands. She gave them a warm smile and told them, "Your hyung is going to be fine, don't worry."

 

***

 

"BREAKING NEWS: MBLAQ member Yang Seungho involved in serious car accident, along with the other -" Byunghee stopped short and clicked off the TV as he sighed, kicking off the sheets on his hospital bed. He stared at his IV drip as it dropped the fluid, drop by drop, into the wire which ran down into is arm. The stitches on his hand were still itching, and he ran his fingers over the rough, bumpy ling on his hand and forearm as he resisted the urge to pick at the strings. 

"Hyung?" A familiar bleary voice from across th room. Byunghee looked up and saw Mir, who was still under the remaining sedatives after his small operation to get the shards of glass out of his arms. "Yes Cheolyongie?"

"Where's Seungho hyung?" he asked, his voice dropping at the end when he saw a flicker of emotion flit across Byunghee's face. "He's .. in the room opposite," he finally said. Mir glanced at the door. "Is he ok?"

He already knwe the answer before it came.

"He ... hyung's still in .. emergency surgery ..." Byunghee mumbled, staring at the ceiling as he blinked back his tears. Don't cry, you idiot! "I don't ... know whether he's ... the doctors said he had lost a lot of blood ..."

Mir shivered slightly as the memories of his hyung, limp with the multitude of dark red patches of blood all over his broken form. "But ... he will be okay, right?" he said, staring at Byunghee with growing concern as he saw the tortured look on his face. "He ... he will be okay, won't he?" he asked, a hint of desperate pleading creeping into his voice.

Byunghee swallowed as he subtly wiped his tears. "I ... ask the doctor ..." he said finally, watching Mir's face fall in fear and sadness. "I think you should go back to sleep, Cheolyongie ..." he switched to a calm, soothing voice as he recognized the symptons of distress. "You're still under the dosages ... we can talk when be both are fully awake. Okay?"

"Okay Byunghee hyung ..." Mir finally said, his voice barely above a whisper. 

Byunghee watched as the maknae finally slipped under the sedative, falling back onto the bed with a soft thump. He sighed and gulped, forcing down the sobs that had started to travel up inside him. 

He looked over to the door, where the red light, indicating the operation, was still glowing, almost mocking him. 

"Nothing we can do ..." he whispered, even though he knew Mir couldn't hear him.

"We just have to wait and hope."