Sehun's perspective

Memories

Author's note: I'm honestly not sure what I wrote, this chapter kind of just wrote itself? It's kind of similar to the other story so I just decided to post it on here. This is about Sehun's thoughts regarding the recent Kris and Luhan vs. SM case settlement. This is purely fiction, and if this is a sensitive topic for anyone please just ignore this chapter. However, for those that do decide to read on, I hope you enjoy!

-----------

 

"EXO's former members Kris Wu and Luhan have come to settlement with SM Entertainment." Was the last thing Sehun heard Yixing say before zoning out.

 

The news came out unexpectedly.  After nearly two years, he never would've thought they would come to an agreement.  He was void of all emotion as he stared blankly ahead. It was as if he was having an inner battle with himself. Should he feel happy that breaking away from SM would represent the end to all the hurt and pain they've had to endure all those years? Or should he be upset that this signifies that they are permanently removed from EXO and that they may never get the chance to perform or see each other again? Would it be selfish of him to not have chosen the first option?

 

Sehun never thought he'd have the opportunity to become a trainee and definitely didn't dare to believe that he was debuting with the rest of the members. Even though they started out as EXO-K and EXO-M, that didn't prevent them from becoming close with one another. They would keep in frequent contact, would practice together, eat and cry together. None of them would ever dare to imagine life without the others, especially after all the memories they created together. They were like actual brothers, EXO just wouldn't be the same without the presence of all 12 members. After all, WE ARE ONE...or at least they used to be.

 

Truth is, nothing's really ever been the same since the departure of Kris. He may look like a distant and hard to approach kind of guy, but don't let his exterior fool you, he's really just a big softie; all bark but no bite. EXO was forced to act as if his sudden disappearance didn't affect them; almost as if they were originally supposed to be an 11 member group. Sehun was mad and at the time he really didn't understand why Kris would be ruthless enough to leave them? After all, if not for Kris, maybe EXO would still consist of 12 members. But even though he wasn't as close to Kris as he could've been, he still really missed hearing him crack those random jokes once in a while. It was a difficult transition no doubt, but it seemed to have made the group stronger nonetheless; although he's still unsure whether or not the stronger bond was worth giving up Kris for.

 

'I never knew what friendship was until I met him' were the words Sehun used to describe Luhan. But right now he felt like he should rephrase that statement: 'I never knew what heartbreak felt like until I met him' seems to be more suitable for how he felt right after Luhan left EXO. He was furious beyond words. He had slowly gotten used to not having Kris around, and he thought their mindset was settled on sticking together, if not forever then at least for many more years to come; but he guessed that was just his one-sided thinking. To say he was disappointed in Luhan would be a complete understatement; to Luhan it seemed as if all those years of friendship and all the promises they made had become unimportant. Ever since he found out about Luhan's  intentions of taking off after Kris he seemed to have naturally avoided his beloved hyung like the plague.  He was too busy preparing himself for the day Luhan would be gone forever that he failed to cherish the little time they had left together. He really regrets his childish behavior, and if it were possible he'd do anything to spend time with Luhan again, even if it was just for a second. But he knows no matter how hard he tries, how much he wishes for it to happen, he cannot turn back time.

 

By the time Tao announced he was leaving EXO, Sehun's heart was numb from anything he should've been feeling. Tao and him had always been close but it seemed they had gotten even closer after Luhan left. Maybe it was their similar roles as the maknae in their previous groups and their "bratty and demanding" personalities as others like to put it, that they ended up clicking so well. Although he was upset about Tao's decision to leave the group, he found himself more accepting than the previous two times. He figured that since it happened twice already, there was the possibility of it happening again. Though he was able to foresee this that didn't mean he was prepared to go through the process another time. 

 

2014 was equivalent to living through hell and 2015 wasn't too far off either. Since then Sehun has definitely matured a lot, people have noted. He's also been told that he doesn't seem to smile quite as much as he used to, and that maybe he's not as happy as he used to be either. 2016 has without a doubt been busy and very eventful. EXO made a comeback as nine members and they've been blessed with so many good things happening to them; however, he just can't help but feel empty sometimes.

 

"Sehun-ah, are you alright?" He was broken from his trance once he felt a hand upon his shoulder. Yixing's worried expression was suddenly enlarged in front of him.

 

He swatted Yixing's hand off his shoulder. "Why do you care, you're going to end up like them anyways!" He shouted then ran and slammed the door of his shared room.

 

Yixing stared at the closed door with wide eyes. Soon his vision became clouded as he'd finally processed what Sehun meant behind those words.

 

Baekhyun who had seen what had happened from the kitchen walked up to Yixing and rubbed soothing circles on his back in an attempt to console him. "Don't worry hyung, Yeollie and I will talk to him."

 

Yixing let out a shaky sigh and nodded. "Thanks Baek."

 

With a smile Baekhyun motioned for Chanyeol to follow after him, in which the giant did as told. They stood outside Sehun's room and heard no response from the other side after Baekhyun knocked on the door.

 

"Hun-ah, we're coming in." Chanyeol announced and when they received no response again they gave themselves permission to enter.

 

After the door opened with a click, a pillow was immediately catapulted in their direction but just ended up landing harshly on top of their feet.

 

"Ouch Hun, and here I thought you loved us." Chanyeol phrased in a joking manner to try and ease up the tension in the room but instead was met with Baekhyun's disapproving eyes. "Too soon?" And with that Baekhyun just rolled his eyes and sat next to the lump on the bed.

 

"Hunnie, you'll suffocate yourself if you don't come out of there." Baekhyun reasoned as he tried to pry the covers from Sehun's reach; unfortunately he was no match for the latter's iron-like grip.

 

"Go away, I just want to be left alone." Came Sehun's muffled response.

 

Baekhyun sighed and shook his head. It was obvious Sehun hadn't really meant what he'd said. Truthfully, Baekhyun wasn't quite sure what he was doing. Chanyeol and Baekhyun were never really the ones Sehun would just openly confess all his feelings to, that had always been more of Suho's job; above everything else the leader had to deal with. Of course, that didn't at all mean the three weren't equally close companions. But seeing Sehun upset and Yixing depressed because of Sehun just bothered him, and he took it upon himself to do something about the current situation.

 

"Sehun, if you had really wanted to be left alone you would've locked the door. I know neither one of us is able to provide the same amount of emotional support Suho hyung is capable of, but we're here for you too." Baekhyun reached out and gently pat Sehun's head through the duvet.

 

At this time, Chanyeol had taken a seat on the other side of the bed. There was a stagnant silence for a moment before they felt the violent shaking on the bed; and the soft sobs that eventually became more audible as time passed.

 

 Chanyeol took this chance to pull the blanket off of Sehun and assisted him into a sitting position. Seeing their beloved maknae in such a state caused their hearts to ache; after all, Sehun hadn't been this upset in a very long time. They more or less knew the reason for why Sehun was acting the way he did but they didn't want to force the answers out of him. If Sehun wanted to talk to them about it, he would do so willingly. All they could think to do at the moment was envelop the crying baby in an embrace; as a representation of strength, comfort and reassurance.

 

"It's not fair, who does he think he is? What gives him the right to be constantly invading my thoughts and messing around with my feelings?" Sehun burst out in anger after calming down a little. "I hate him, I hate this!"

Baekhyun clung to his arm and placed his head comfortably on his shoulder. Taking hold of Sehun's slightly larger hand, he held it and traced circles on the back of it with the pad of his thumb. "We know that's not true Hunnie. Maybe this is how you've been coping with this reality for so long, by forcing yourself to believe that you hate him. Perhaps you're still mad at him for leaving us, but you definitely don't hate him; despite how much you try to fool us or even yourself."

He didn't even try to deny Baekhyun's statement. "Was it stupid of me for having hopes that they would come back to us? Or that at least he would come back for me? God, I'm so freaking selfish!" Sehun tilted his head back avoiding all means of eye contact but the tears overflowed and spilled down his cheeks.

"Honestly Sehun, you're not selfish for having those thoughts. I had those same thoughts about Kris and I'm sure Baekhyun had similar ones about Tao. After all, we were pretty close with those three, it's only natural." Chanyeol looked to Baek for confirmation in which the shorter male nodded. "It's just now we have become more understanding of their perspectives that maybe makes it harder for us. As much as it hurts us, we know it's probably better that they've left. Doesn't it make you feel better knowing that they're happier and healthier having the freedom of doing what they want?"

"But this is it hyung, as of today..." Sehun choked on his words as he felt a lump forming in his throat making it even more difficult to finish his sentence.

Chanyeol rubbed his back encouragingly. "It's okay Hun-ah, let it out."

He took in a long deep breath to collect his emotions before he continued. "A-As of today, Kris and L-Luhan are officially ex-members of EXO. We'll never see each other again." He croaked the last bit out in a whisper.

A shiver was sent down their spines at the epiphany. They were once again enveloped by silence, left to their own individual thoughts.

Not only would they not see each other again, they would never enjoy the exhilarating feeling of performing or practicing together again. They wouldn't be able to joke around, converse nor just simply be in one another's presence like they used to be able to do. Within the blink of an eye, two long years have passed without Kris and Luhan, time eventually forced the group to grow accustomed to this way of life. But now, everything suddenly felt real because there was an official announcement which proved it to be. Maybe it had all seemed like a nightmare previously, but Sehun's statement seemed to be the wakeup call that had them realizing this was the reality that remained. And no matter how much they aren't willing to accept this truth, they weren't given a choice.

"Let's think of it this way. Knowing both hyungs personalities, how do you think they would react if we switched places?" Baekhyun was the first of the three to break the silence. His voice came out sounding nasally as he tried keeping his tears under control.

The waterworks began to flow again once the definite answer became clear in Sehun's mind. "They would consider our side of the story and see into our perspective as to why we made the decisions we did."

"And they would wish the best for us even though our paths aren't the same. They would encourage us to continue doing the things that make us happy." Chanyeol added in. He swiped the stray tear that fell from Baekhyun's eye as he listened to their responses.

Baekhyun smiled thankfully at Chanyeol and nodded. "So shouldn't they deserve the same from us? After all, that's what friends do for each other right?"

Sehun nodded giving in. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were right. Instead of sulking and living in the past he had to move on and live his life to the fullest doing whatever it was that he enjoyed. And even though they weren't doing so together physically, he still felt a strong connection between them; in his heart, and he knows the bond will never be broken.

"Now that that's settled. Don't you think there's a certain someone who deserves your apology?" Chanyeol hinted gesturing towards the door.

 

Without another word, Sehun walked out of the room first with the other two trailing behind him. He plopped down on the couch next to the older male and before Yixing could comprehend what was going on, he found himself entangled in a mess of bodies and limbs.  

 

"I'm sorry Yixing hyung. I clearly let my anger get the better of me and I know I shouldn't have said those hurtful things. Will you forgive me?" Sehun's apology came out muffled but sincere, as Baekhyun's face was tightly pressed against his; in a group hug.

 

A wide smile spread across Yixing's face revealing his one sided dimple. "It's okay Sehun-ah, I know you didn't mean it."

 

Suddenly, the door to their dorm swung open. Suho walked in extremely confused when he noticed his four members snuggled together in a hug. He tugged Baekhyun, who was the closest in distance from him away from the group and eyed the younger warily as he ignored the latter's protests. "Did something happen while I was gone?"

 

"Nothing that I couldn't handle." He replied with a smug smile.

 

"Why do you always take credit when it's a team effort?" Chanyeol complained.

 

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and fought back by childishly sticking his tongue out at him. Suho averted his attention over to Yixing. "Do I even want to know?"

 

"I'll fill you in as much as I can later." Yixing chuckled.

 

Soon after the bickering settled down between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, they all agreed on going out to dinner. They texted the other members and the ones that finished with their schedules early would join them later.

 

Sehun sat himself at the back of the car. There were conversations going on but he took no part in them. Instead he kept his focus on the stars that illuminated the dark blue skies above. EXO is in Korea and the other three are dispersed in China, but Sehun still believes that they are all looking up at the same sky.

 

Kris, Luhan, Tao hyungs, I don't know what the future holds for any of us. Though we may not be able to meet up anytime soon, I believe that we definitely will one day. Until then, I wish nothing but the best for all your endeavors. Please continue to be happy and healthy and we'll do the same. I'll keep our memories close at heart, but rest assured I will no longer be living in the past. Hope to see you all again soon. He thinks to himself as a small smile forms on his lips.