Recording studio

Memories

Simon was driving Luhan to their next destination. The photo shoot took longer than expected as a result of Luhan's constant spacing out.

 

"Simon, where are you guys? According to my schedule, you should've been here half an hour ago." The producer called and was placed on speaker as Simon was still driving. He sounded quite impatient on the other line.

 

Simon gulped. Wayne was easy to get along with, Sam on the other hand was the same unless someone ticked him off. "Yes, I'm so sorry. The photo shoot was delayed so we had to stay longer." He fibbed, Sam didn't need to know the minor details.

 

"So Luhan is still coming to record?"

 

"Of course, in fact we're just a couple minutes away from your recording studio. " At least this much was the truth. And with that they ended the call.

 

Simon looked through the rear view mirror and noted that Luhan looked to be deep in thought. As he was about to say something, Luhan beat him to it.

 

"I'm sorry." Luhan's apology came out sounding tired and broken, but Simon could tell it was sincere.

 

"After what happened back there I'm not going to ask you to explain yourself. I can pretty much guess what's been bothering you lately and I know you're only human. You can't control what you feel sometimes and I understand that. But Lu for the purpose of your career, please put all those thoughts behind you. Don't let it affect your professionalism. "

 

Silence filled the air as Simon dropped Luhan off at the door of the building before driving off to find a parking place.

 

"Lu you've finally arrived." Was the first thing Sam said as he spotted Luhan walking through the door.

 

"Yeah, sorry I'm late." He replied with a sheepish smile and quick bow.

 

Sam just waved him off as he began to explain the change in plans because of the time constraint. Luhan was reminded that he was collaborating with his co-stars to sing the theme song of their soon to be airing variety show. He was informed that the others have almost completed their parts so Sam suggested they should put his album aside until tomorrow. "What do you think?"

 

"Sure." Luhan agreed after understanding the situation.

 

"Great, let's get started. The lyrics are set up for you already."

 

Luhan walked inside the little room and looked over the lyrics of the song. He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion. Wasn't this supposed to be a collaboration? Was he expected to sing the whole song?

 

"What's wrong Lu?" Sam noticed Luhan seemed to be in a predicament so he pressed down on a button so Luhan would be able to hear and communicate with him.  

 

"Which parts am I assigned to sing?" 

"Oh well actually, everyone was asked to sing the entire song. Then we're going to decide who sounds better singing which part and then compile everything together." Sam explained. "Have you done collaborations in the past?" 

Luhan nodded, the first song that came to mind immediately was Miracles in December, which he sang with Baekhyun and Chen. 

"Alright, let's get started then." 

Luhan placed the headphones over his ears as his eyes continued to stare at the stand with the lyrics in front of him.

 

"太陽當空照

花兒對我笑

小鳥說早早早

你為什麼背上小書包"

 

He began singing once he heard the music playing.

"So this is how the song will be split up. Luhan, make sure they know the meaning of the song and how to pronounce each word correctly." The producer instructed him before leaving the room. 

Luhan first wrote in the pinyin for their lines before continuing to enunciate and explain the lyrics to his band members. 

"How about we make this a little more interesting?" Baekhyun smiled devilishly in Chen's direction. 

If Chen hadn't known Baek at all, he would've thought the shorter boy must be an angel with his appearance. Of course he learned that looks can be deceiving and he had thought that was the perfect way of describing Baek. "I don't like that look on your face, but what did you have in mind?" Chen was the curious type after all. 

"Let's have a competition to see who messes up the least. We let Luhan hyung teach us how to pronounce the words and after that whenever either of us says a word wrong hyung has to draw on us with a pen and whoever ends up with the least number of markings is the winner. The loser then has to be a servant to the winner for the rest of the day." Baekhyun explained his idea. 

"Baek, you do realize Chen has the upper hand since he was placed in EXO-M right?" Luhan stated the obvious. 

"Thanks for having faith in me, you have absolutely no clue how loved I feel right now." Came his sarcastic reply along with his oh so famous eye roll. 

"Alright, I accept your challenge. Prepare yourself for tonight Byun Baekhyun, my feet have been hurting from all the dance practices lately and I would love a good foot rub." 

They first practiced reading the lyrics to become familiar with the words. After about an hour they opted for a break. 

"Oh my god, this is so hard! I'm thankful we don't have to individually sing the whole song like they usually have us doing! I finally understand what you've been going through. I'm never making fun of you again." Baekhyun exclaimed dramatically as he leaned his head to rest upon Chen's shoulder. He looked at the tally marks along his arms compared to Chen's. Though they both had plenty, Baek couldn't deny that he may have more than Chen. 

"Heh- wait a minute, you made fun of my Chinese before?" Chen cut his victory short once he realized what Baek had just revealed. 

"Hehe, you weren't supposed to know that, but yeah if I'm being honest you sound so unnatural." Baek scooted himself closer to Luhan to defend himself against Chen, just in case. 

Luhan just chuckled at the two before he decided they needed to get back to work. "Alright guys, breaks over, the producer wants to try and get this recorded today." He reminded them. 

Luhan had them singing their lines as he listened for their pronunciation. "That wasn't too bad for starters." He told them encouragingly. "But Baek it's
看到曽看不到的畫面." Luhan corrected him as Baek repeated after him. "And Chen, your line is 明明你不在我身邊." Chen sang his line again after being corrected. 

"Should we try again from the top?" Baek asked as he made some notes on his lyric sheet. 

Chen nodded in agreement. "Okay, Luhan hyung start us off." 


"我望眼欲穿看我看不到的你

 我側耳傾聽,聽我聽不到的你..." 

"Luhan." Sam spoke into the mic but he just kept singing, even after Sam had cut the music from the headphones. 

Sam received no response, instead Luhan didn't seem to notice that there was no more music being emitted from the headphones as he continued to sing EXO's Miracles in December. 

 

After a while Luhan finally stopped singing and his eyes widened to the size of saucers. His vision blurred as he realized he had unconsciously done it again. He looked out the window and saw Simon rubbing his temples in annoyance. It seemed as though the conversation they had in the car fell on deaf ears.