Dream or reality?

Memories

That night Luhan locked himself inside his house, after gathering all the beer he could find from inside the refrigerator and making sure his living room was void of all sources of light, he plopped himself down on his leather couch. Popping open one of the cans he allowed the cool liquid to slither down his throat and once the contents were emptied he crushed the can and threw in carelessly to the side. He repeated the action several times in an attempt to numb his heart of the pain he was feeling but most importantly he wanted to get rid of the thoughts he had been having all day.

 

What he had been fearing the most for the longest time has finally come to haunt him. He was aware of the fact that he couldn't avoid having those thoughts and feelings for long. And it seemed the more he tried purposely avoiding, the more likely it was to occur.

 

He more or less goes through the same routine every day, as does every idol. How he managed to last so long without letting those memories bother him, he wasn't quite sure of the answer. He tried so hard to keep himself together, but after what happened today it seemed as though all his efforts had gone to waste.

 

The affects of the alcohol began kicking in after Luhan consumed nearly eight cans as a result of having a low alcohol tolerance. When he felt an uncomfortable substance pushing up inside his throat he immediately placed one hand on top of his mouth. He suddenly felt lightheaded as he stumbled off the couch and onto his feet, his vision blurred and his body felt heavy as he staggered his way to the washroom. Collapsing in front of the toilet bowl, he clutched the sides of the seat to prevent himself from completely head dunking as he emptied the contents of his stomach.

 

He wiped his mouth with the back of his sleeve and used the wall for support as he stumbled his way back into the living room. He tripped over some of the cans that were left scattered all over the floor. Being too sore to move after his fall, Luhan remained sprawled on the carpet in front of his couch. Just as he was about to fall unconscious altogether, there was a faint ring in his ears which he recognized to be his ringtone. Reaching one arm up onto the table he blindly searched around for his phone.

 

"Hello?" He greeted with a giggle.

 

Luhan was met with silence from the other line.

"Helloooooooo? Who are you?!"  His speech was slurred as he shouted loudly into the phone in case the other hadn't heard him the first time.

 

Once again there was no response.

 

Luhan wasn't happy about being ignored. "Speak now or I'm hanging up!" He let out an angry outburst.

 

"You've been drinking." The person on the other line finally breathed out. It was more of a statement rather than a question.

 

That low husky voice that seemed so familiar yet not at the same time caused his heart to skip a beat. Tears accumulated at the brim of his eyes and he felt more alert at that moment than he had been feeling the entire day. "Se-Sehun?" His tone of voice was cautious, almost as if this name had become a taboo. 

 

"How have you been doing?" A frequently asked question but in this case contained multiple meanings  behind its simplicity.

 

This time Sehun was the one faced with silence. He could roughly imagine how Luhan felt and looked like at the moment. He was probably too shocked to believe that they were having this conversation after all this time; his bottom lip wedged between his teeth as he attempted to contain his unshed tears. Sehun knew because this was exactly what was happening to him.

 

It felt like an eternity before Sehun finally mustered up the courage to break the silence with a loud sigh. "Simon called and told me about what happened today. "

 

"He shouldn't have into my personal business." Luhan replied bitterly, almost defensive.

 

"He cares too much to watch you continuously hurting yourself. " There was a hesitant pause before Sehun decided to continue. "J-just like I still do." It came out as a whisper.

 

Luhan's heart skipped another beat. Though the statement was barely audible, Luhan managed to catch it loud and clear. That was all it took for him to break down in an angry sob. "No, NO! After all I put you through that's not how you're supposed to respond! Oh Sehun you're supposed to hate me, you're supposed to tell me you wished you never met me!"

 

Sehun's heart clenched upon hearing Luhan cry and with that a single tear slid down his cheek. He took in a deep breath to collect himself. "Luhan listen to me. I don't hate you, and I definitely don't wish never meeting you." He took in another deep breath. He was about to reveal the feelings which he had hidden and had nearly forgotten. "I'm not going to lie, even before you left EXO I really did hate you. I cried every day and night for months, I never understood the reason why you left us. But then I started thinking and tried to see the situation from your perspective. I guess at the time I failed to realize how badly you were deteriorating. I then came to the conclusion that if the circumstances were different, you wouldn't have left. I now know how hard it must have been to make that decision because it takes a lot of bravery and courage. I would much rather see you living healthily and happily, even if that means letting you go."

 

For the next couple minutes all Sehun could hear from Luhan was his sobbing. "I-I'm so sor-ry. I-I-I miss you so much." Was all he managed to say after calming down a little.

 

Sehun felt his lips curving upward slightly, despite Luhan not being about to see it. He suddenly felt relieved hearing this and after pouring out his inner thoughts and feelings, his shoulders felt lighter. "I really miss you too." He bit down hard on his lower lip. He wasn't supposed to be making this call, he didn't have much time left. "Hey Lu, can you promise me something?"

"What is it?" He sniffled.

 

"I just want you to remember, the past is the past. What's done cannot be undone. Be happy when you think about our memories, but don't dwell on them. You have to move on and continue living your life, okay? I want you happy and healthy, always."

 

Luhan nodded. "You and the others have to promise me the same thing too."

 

"We will." Tears flooded his vision as he struggled to choke the next couple words out. "I'm sorry, I have to go now."

 

Though Luhan knew this call had to end sooner or later, he still wasn't prepared. They still had so many things to talk about but unfortunately, time was up. "One more thing before you go Sehun-ah."

 

"I'm listening."

 

"I love you. Always have and always will."

 

His tears fell but this time he wasn't able to stop them. "I love you too, forever and always."

 

---------------

 

Luhan open his heavy lidded eyes with much difficulty as he heard his alarm going off. He looked around his surroundings and found himself lying on the carpeted floor of his bedroom. He stood himself up and immediately regretted doing so as a surge of pain hit his head.

 

"What happened?" He groaned as he held his throbbing head between his hands.

 

Memories of last night's events flashed through his mind like the pieces of a broken puzzle. All he remembered was getting drunk, throwing up and then sleeping and having a dream about Sehun.

 

His heart began beating erratically at the thought of that name. However, it seemed to be quite realistic, was it really just a dream?

 

Once the vertigo subsided, he slowly got up and pushed the snooze button on his alarm. This action seemed so foreign, gradually, it dawned on him that he had actually slept in to be awakened by his alarm.

 

"Something must have happened last night." Luhan was almost sure of it. He hadn't noticed until now how his chest didn't seem to ache anymore or how his shoulders seemed to have been lifted of all the heavy weight he was previously carrying.

 

"Phone, where's my phone?" He searched his room but didn't find it there. He roamed the hallways of his house but couldn't spot it there either. He avoided the bathroom when a foul smell hit his nostrils and prayed that he didn't leave his phone in there, or worse, accidentally dropped it in the toilet. He made his way into the living room and nearly slipped but luckily was able to regain his balance. He took careful steps towards the large window and pulled apart the curtains.  It was still dim out but he was able to see more clearly than before. Taking in his surroundings he cursed himself for the enormous mess he'd made but quickly pushed those thoughts aside as he caught sight of his phone under the coffee table.

 

His hands shook as he held his phone, after unlocking it, his thumb hovered above the phone icon. His heart began leaping uncontrollably once again. There was a surge of various emotions hitting him all at once. A part of him was dying to find out if his dream was really just a dream, but the other part of him was afraid of the disappointment that would surely come once he found out it wasn't real after all.

 

Eventually, his curiosity got the better of him. He looked through his call log and the last person that called him was an unknown number. Luhan was confused, all his previous fears and excitement vanished. This didn't quite answer his questions and the fact that he couldn't recall anything from last night wasn't helping either.

 

"Maybe he changed his number? Or maybe he called using some other phone?" He suddenly smiled.

 

There was a chance Luhan really did have that conversation with Sehun and yet there was an equal chance it might've just been a dream. "Everything happens for a reason. I believe in fate and if we were fated to meet, we definitely will again in the future." He muttered to himself as he admired the beautiful sunrise. The sun peeked out from its hiding place under some clouds. The sky glowed colors of purple, pink and orange. It was the beginning of a brand new day.