Off-Screen

Boxing Gloves
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

From: Unknown Number

hey it's JungKook. Look, i didn't mean any harm earlier, but if you want to walk alone that's fine. you're probably right, you are one of the best boxers in Korea ;)

 

Seohyun read the message the next morning and shut her eyes for a good three minutes, standing in the middle of her room in her underwear and a white t-shirt, clutching her phone far too tightly in her hand for it to be okay.

 

Jinju barked and reality hit her like a truck, eyes focusing on all-too-familiar surroundings before she began to text a message back to JungKook.

 

To: Jeon JungKook

Hey, kid. Sorry about last night. Have fun at your job thingy.

 

To her surprise, he answered almost immediately.

 

From: Jeon JungKook

Seohyun! Don't worry about last night, it's nothing. and the interview is going well (we have a break right now so i can text), but i have to go work at my dads shop later so i can't train :(

 

She rolled her eyes at how eager he was to talk to her. Really, it's not like she was famous or anything.

 

Okay, so she was, but she wasn't the star of the media like she had once wanted to think. When her fights aired, that was all that put her pretty face on the screen. It's not like she was the Black Pearl of everyone's attention, as Yuri had once been before she became Seohyun's agent/coach and best friend. She wasn't one of Korea's sweethearts like her friends, Taeyeon and Yoona, used to be. No, in all honesty, of her friend circle (with 8 other fantastic women), she stuck to boxing and Yuri helped her through it. Seo Joo-Hyun didn't capture the media's attention as much as the singers or dancers or models.

 

She was just a boxer, someone who fought with pride clasped in her fists at her several claims to fame. Sure, sometimes, she could do a commercial or two, but her face on a shiny new TV screen with vibrant colours and too much make-up was something she almost never encountered. 

 

Thus, she was to keep training for her next fight, which was three months away in June, and it was supposed to be the biggest match of the year, with all the greats and several challengers to be covered by every decent channel on TV.

 

To: Jeon JungKook

Come by tomorrow if you can. Maybe you could tell me Step 3 while you're gone?

 

From: Jeon JungKook

Not a chance. I have something special planned for that ;)

 

Yeah, she figured that one was a long shot.

 

"Hey, Seo, you wanna go out to dinner with me and Sunny today? Seokjin's not gonna be here, so I'm free," Yuri offered as the younger walked in the door of the gym after having to walk from home because her car was out of gas. Seohyun nodded simply at the question.

 

"I'd love to, sounds fun. When should I wrap up here?" She asked.

 

"Around 7. It's at the Korean barbecue restaurant near my place, yeah?"

 

"Yeah, I'll be there. Do you wanna train with me today? JungKook has a job interview or something," Seohyun told her. Yuri smiled.

 

"Sure."

 

As Seohyun trained, it occurred to her how completely different it was to fight with Yuri again instead of with JungKook. Yuri was so much lighter on her feet and she could move so much faster, quick to dodge and quick to tag Seohyun to remind her of places she'd left open. JungKook was grounded and punched Seohyun so it would hurt, but then again, he also absorbed the shock of Seohyun's loose punches like they were almost nothing.

 

And there was something absent from the fights with Yuri that had Seohyun missing fights with JungKook.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter