An Unexpected Tragedy Part 1

Kpop One Shots

Laura and Jungkook had been dating for two years without the media’s knowledge. They first began dating when Jungkook was still a trainee at BigHit so for a while they were able to go on dates and do cute coupley things but once Jungkook debuted, they began to have to keep their relationship a secret. It was very rare they got time to be together for more than five minutes so when Jungkook was finally able to have an entire two weeks off Laura was excited to go to Seoul and stay with him.

    Laura lived with her sister, Hee Rin, right outside of Seoul in a three story home with a white picket fence surrounding the yard. Her parents had died in a car accident not even a year ago so she was forced to move out of her parents apartment in the middle of Seoul to her sister’s home. Jungkook had been one of the few people to get her through her parents death, being there whenever he could. He stayed with her until really early in the morning only leaving to go back to the dorm to a shower and change.

All of this changed when Jungkook had to go on tour for two months. He didn’t want to leave Laura but he assured her she could come see him for two weeks when he got back to Korea in June. Laura begrudgingly agreed and promised she would be there to pick him up at the airport. She sullenly waved goodbye to him as he drove away in early April.


 

It was finally June and tomorrow Laura would be heading to Seoul to pick up Jungkook as well as the rest of BTS from the airport to spend a well awaited two weeks with all of them. Because of Laura's long relationship with Jungkook she had become very close with the other members as well. The eight becoming a very close group and the others joking that Baek Yee was even the secret eighth member of BTS. She joked around with these boys a lot and really considered them family.

Laura got up bright and early that morning so she would have plenty of time to pack and get everything she needed ready in plenty of time. While she knew, the boys wouldn’t mind picking up anything she needed, she didn’t want them to have to do that for her. Baek Yee immediately got to work packing pulling out her favorite hot pink suitcase from her closet and laying it open on her bed.

She immediately began to run around her room picking out enough clothes to last her two weeks when she heard Hee Rin yell, “Laura! I need you to come downstairs now.”

“I’m coming,” Laura shouted back. She sighed slightly annoyed to be interrupted while she was packing for her trip tomorrow. She began to walk down the aggravating two flights of stair that went from her room to the bottom floor. She loved having the top floor to herself because it gave her some privacy but she didn’t like the stairs that came along with it. She saw her sister in the kitchen making breakfast and wondered why she would call her down if breakfast wasn’t even done yet.

Almost like she read her mind, Hee Rin mentioned,” I finally have the workers coming over today to put the new roof on the house, in case you hear a lot of noise later.”

“Okay, noona,” Laura replied. “I appreciate the warning. I’ll be spending most of the day packing for my trip tomorrow anyway. It’s been so long since I’ve seen Jungkook. I miss him so much. He’s been one of the few happy things in my life since mum and dad died.”

“I know. I’m glad you’re able to spend these next two weeks with him, even if I’m going to miss you. Now, why don’t you go back upstairs and finish packing. I’m sure there’s a lot of stuff all over your floor, isn’t there,” Hee Rin asked with a hint of teasing in her tone.

“You know me too well, unnie,” Laura answered with a laugh. “ I’m surprised I got out of my room with tripping.” Laura left the kitchen a with a smile on her face. She couldn’t help but let out a little squeal of excitement about tomorrow. She had been waiting for this day since he left and they made that promise. She skipped up the stairs to her room humming Dope under her breath. She has always been Jungkook’s and BTS’s biggest fan buying every single album that came out and going to any concert she can.

She opened the door to her room and groaned when she realized the gigantic mess she made trying to find clothes for these next two weeks and she still hadn’t found a single outfit, granted Baek Yee can be very picky about what she wears anywhere. She carefully navigated her way around the mess that was her room at the moment to the speakers on her nightstand and plugged in her hot pink iPhone, Run by BTS blasting through her speakers. Technically this song hadn’t been released yet but Jungkook gave her a copy to listen to when they were still trying to work out the song.  

She began to half dance, half clean her room while screaming the lyrics at the top of lungs. She finally could see her floor again and finally began to start picking out clothes for her trip. Laura decided to pack five pairs of jeans, five different shirts, two dresses, and a jacket, in case it’s cold or rains because you never really know what the weather’s going to be like and it’s always crazy.

Laura realized she almost forgot the most important thing she needed, Jungkook’s present. She had a couple necklaces made for the two of them so whenever he’s away from her and she’s away from him they would have a little reminder of each other. She had a dog tag made for him with her picture engraved on one side and the other had her initials on it with a heart below them. Baek Yee’s necklace was really simple, her favorite picture of Jungkook was inside of a locket that had his initials engraved on the front. She hoped he didn’t find it too cheesy and hated it.

“Laura” Hee Rin shouted from downstairs. “The workers are here working on the roof but I forgot a few things at the store. Will you run out and get them for me?”

“Of course, unnie,” Laura shouted back. “I’ll be right down. Just let me grab my phone and put on some shoes. I need to grab a few things from the store as well.” When she unplugged her phone she could finally here the loud banging on the roof. “My music must have been really loud.” She quickly put on her favorite pair of black converse and ran down the stairs.

“Thank you so much Laura,” Hee Rin expressed. “I really needed to stay here and watch them while they put on the new stone roof I’ve been wanting for a long time. I just need the things on this list and here’s my credit card. They shouldn’t give you any trouble about it but call me if they do.”

“I will, unnie. I’ll be back soon.” Laura exclaimed while walking towards the door. She closed the door behind and put her headphones on and began to play No More Dream while she walked down the driveway towards the store but because her music was so loud she couldn’t hear the shouts of the workers for her to move out the way. She was caught in her only little world everything perfect until one of the bricks was knocked off of the roof landing right on top of her head shattering and knocking her unconscious. She immediately collapsed to the ground blood beginning to pool around her.

Hee Rin ran out of the house screaming at everyone, “Call an ambulance! Hurry quickly! Please, Laura don’t leave me like mum and dad. I can’t lose you too. Please be okay,” She screamed tears streaming down her face while she cradled Laura in her lap making sure not to move her too much. Not even five minutes later an ambulance pulled up in front of the house. The EMTs quickly pulled out the stretcher and carefully put Laura on it making sure to secure her head so she wouldn’t suffer from further injuries.

“Is anyone here a family member,” one of the EMTs asked.

“I’m her sister,” Hee Rin answered in a shaky voice.

“I’m going to need you to ride in the ambulance with us,” the EMT declared.

“Okay.” She climbed in the ambulance with the EMT silently praying to God that her sister would be okay and that everything would be fine. The ride to the hospital seemed to carry on forever until what seemed like hours later they arrived. Hee Rin could do nothing but stand there as they rushed Laura passed her and into the nearest operating room. It took everything she had not to collapse right there in the middle of the hospital waiting room and burst into tears. She made her way over to one of the many chairs and sat down silently praying Laura would be okay and not die. She couldn’t lost her too especially so close to her own parents death.

About six hours later, Hee Rin saw doctors wheeling Laura out of the operating room unconscious with a giant bandage wrapped around her head, she began to run towards her sister only to be pulled back by a couple nurses.

Hee Rin began to struggle to get out of the nurses grip, “I have to see my sister,” Hee RIn screamed hysterically. “I have to make sure she’s okay. She’s the only family I have left.”

“Please, miss, calm down,” one of the nurse responded. “The doctor would like to speak with you about your sister before he lets you see her.”

“Okay, please take me to him,” Hee Rin replied dejectedly. The nurse began guiding Hee Rin down a long hallway that seemed to never end. The stark white walls shining underneath the florescent lights that hung above them, almost as if it was a scene from a movie. Hee Rin could do nothing but stare at her feet still covered in only her house slippers. They finally stopped in front of a wood door that read Dr. Park Mindae. Hee Rin hesitantly knocked on the door reluctant to enter because she didn't want to hear any bad news the doctor may have about her sister.

“Come in,” said Dr. Park Mindae from inside.

Hee Rin slowly opened the door and quietly enter mumbling, “I’m Laura’s sister and her guardian, Lee Hee Rin. Is she going to be okay?”

“Your sister is currently in ICU. When the brick fell on her head it cracked open her skull and a few pieces of it were stuck in her brain. We don’t know if she suffered any brain damage or not and we really won’t until she wakes up but she seems to have slipped into a coma and when don’t know when or if she’ll ever wake up,” Dr. Lee Mindae replied with a sullen face. Hee Rin could do nothing at this point but burst into tears. She didn’t expect the news to be this bad or her sister’s condition to be so life threatening.

“When can I see her,” Hee Rin choked out in between sobs.

“I could take you to her now, if you would like. But be warned, your sister will not look like herself for a long time. I just want you to be prepared for that,” Dr. Lee Mindae addressed. The two left his office and began walking down that long ominous hallway once more towards the elevator. They entered the elevator and took it up to the fourth floor in complete silence, the only thing running through Hee Rin’s head was, “I hope she’s okay,” over and over again. Not even a minute later they arrived at the fourth floor and head down another long and ominous hallway until they reach a set of double doors labeled Intensive Care Unit. Hee Rin took a deep breath before heading through the doors towards the nurses station.

“I’m Laura's sister,” Hee Rin said. “What room is she in?”

“She’s in room eight,” a nurse answered her.

“Thank you, I appreciate it.” Hee Rin made her way to room eight slowly not wanting to see her sister but wanting to see her as well. When she made it to room eight she stood in front of the stark white door for a few minutes debating whether or not to enter because ultimately deciding to go in. Hee Rin walked in to see her sister lying in the hospital bed looking lifeless hooked up to a bunch of different machines. One beeping non-stop monitoring her heart beat and one was a respirator helping her breath it took everything for Hee Rin to try and not cry before she choked out a sob and ran to her sister’s side. She grabbed her hand and held it between hers. She stayed like this for a few hours until she finally fell asleep, her head resting on the bed next to her sister. She woke up a few hours later and when she checked the time she realized that Jungkook should be landing right now at the airport and decided to give him a call.  

 

The boys were exiting the plane excited to finally be home. Jimin and J-Hope were joking around pushing each other back and forth when Jungkook heard his phone ringing.

He looked at his phone and saw that Hee Rin was calling, “Hmm, that's weird,” He thought. “Hee Rin never calls me.”

“Hello,” Jungkook said as he answered the phone. “What's going on, Hee Rin? You never call me. I didn't even realize you had my number.”

“Jungkook,” Hee Rin answered slowly. “Something happened to Laura. You need to come to the hospital right now. She's in a coma.”

As soon as Jungkook heard this he immediately collapsed to the ground. His phone shattering when it hit the floor with him. The boys immediately saw him on the floor and rushed over to him.

“Jungkook, are you okay,” Suga asked with a worried tone to his voice.

“Tell us what happened,” Rap Mon pushed.

Laura. Was all Jungkook could choke out in between sobs and the boys immediately knew something horrible had happened to her.