Chapter 7

Mr Librarian

Jonghyun slammed his front door behind himself upon arrival at his home. Not out of annoyance towards Minho, it was out of annoyance towards himself. This wasn’t like him, storming out of another’s house like a child as if he was having some sort of temper tantrum, it was just what felt right in the moment. When Key had said the name ‘Minho’ his first thought was ‘it’s another Minho, it must be’. Why, out of all the people in the world, had Choi Minho walked back into his life, and through none other than his new boyfriend? It had been going so smoothly with Key, just to discover he lives with Choi Minho. Maybe this was a sign to forget the past? No, he couldn’t, how could he? 

Jonghyun just knew that Key would try to contact him by means of texts and phone calls, he didn’t want to be ignorant, but he had to turn his phone off, just for a little while, just to give him time to think. He knew for a fact that Key would just come round his house, but at least this would buy him some thinking time before that happened. He pressed the off button on his mobile and threw it on the sofa, not harshly, just harsher than simply placing in down like he normally would. He retreated to his bedroom and lay flat on his back, staring up at the ceiling, thinking over the days events, before thinking further back into his past; the past he had with Minho, the history they had created. 

Before he knew it, the doorbell rung, the inevitable happened, Key had arrived. He ignored the door and stay put on the bed, hoping it would deter Key away after a few attempts, but of course nothing with Key is that simple. 

“Jjong, I know you’re in there!” Key called through the letterbox. Jonghyun sighed deeply, knowing he’d have to answer the door soon. 

“Kim Jonghyun!” he called, now using his full name as some sort of mechanism of getting him to answer the door. Jonghyun got up from his bed and stood by the front door, not actually opening it. He heard Key sigh on the other side of the door. 

“I know you’re right behind this door, Mr Librarian,” he said softly. Jonghyun gave in and gingerly opened the door, Key stood there awkwardly, not sure what he was planning to say now that Jonghyun had actually opened the door. 

“Can I…come in?” he asked carefully. Jonghyun opened the door a little wider, signalling to come inside, Key accepted and followed him inside, shutting the door slowly behind himself. Jonghyun sat on the sofa and Key joined him but chose to sit at the other side of the 3 seater. The pair looked at each other awkwardly before saying each others names perfectly in sync. 

“Oh…sorry go on,” Key offered. Jonghyun took a deep breath. 

“I’m sorry for storming off like that,” he apologised sincerely to Key. 

“No, Jjong it’s fine, I can see that you and Minho have history. Do you want to tell me about it?” Jonghyun just shook his head instantly. 

“Did he tell you anything?” Jonghyun asked nervously, ‘he’ being Minho. 

“Not a thing. I tried, but nothing,” Key replied, looking down at his lap tensely. 

“Then lets keep it that way,” Jonghyun stated bluntly. Standing his ground. 

“Come on Jonghyun, I’m your…boyfriend,” Key pleaded, feeling slightly odd saying boyfriend; still not used to the term. 

“That doesn’t change anything, I don’t want to talk about it, not to you, not to anyone.” Key sighed and nodded slowly. 

“Will you tell me one day, when you’re ready?” he asked, really hoping the answer would be yes. 

“No,” Jonghyun finished, hoping that would be the end of the conversation. Key paused for a second. 

“Never?” 

“Never,” Jonghyun stated. 

“Never ever?” Key continued.
“Key stop!” Jonghyun pleaded, his eyes beginning to fill. Key froze, was Jonghyun upset? Had he annoyed Jonghyun too much? Jonghyun was always so calm and collected, he never thought he could upset him.

“Jjong I’m sorry, you don’t have to tell me…I guess I’d better go home now,” Key sighed, feeling somewhat ashamed at himself for upsetting the usually calm Jonghyun. He stood up quickly and began to leave, before Jonghyun called after him. 

“Key wait,” Jonghyun muttered, only just audible to Key, who spun around instantly. 

“Yeah?” 

“Do you want to stay for some coffee?” Jonghyun asked quietly, looking down at his lap. He felt bad just sending Key away like that when he’d just drove here to see him. The least he could do was offer him coffee. 

“Do you want me to stay? Because I don’t mind leaving if you want to be alone,” Key offered calmly. 

“You just drove all the way here, please stay for coffee, I’ll go and make some. It’s only the instant stuff, but…” Jonghyun trailed off, not really sure where he was planning to go with that sentence. He ventured into the kitchen to make some instant coffee, retrieving two matching polka dot mugs from the cupboard and placing them on the counter and grabbing the coffee from next to the kettle, spooning the granules into the mugs. 

Key awaited him in the living room, fiddling with the tassels hanging from the corners of the sofa’s cushions. 

“Here, Jonghyun said as he placed Key’s coffee on the end table on his side of the sofa, and sat down at the other end with his own in hand, Key waited a minute for his to cool before picking the mug up and sipping slowly, the liquid still burning his mouth a little despite the wait. The couple sat in awkward silence, not sure what to say to each other to break the ice. 

“Nice coffee,” Key lied, just trying to lift the mood. 

“Really?” Jonghyun asked, “it’s only instant coffee but thanks.” 

“Of course it’s nice, it was made by you, Jjong,” Key smiled whole heartedly, feeling Jonghyun’s aura warm at the gesture, the two felt slightly more at ease.