Chapter 3

Mr Librarian

Key had offered Jonghyun a ride home seeing as he drove there and Jonghyun hadn’t. Not that the walk was long at all, it was 5-10 minutes. Key knew this from the moment Jonghyun mentioned where he lived in the coffee shop, and that’s when the idea had popped into his head. It was a Friday evening, and Jonghyun was just going to go home and do what? Watch the evening news? Not on Key’s watch. 

“So I was thinking,” Key asked, right hand on the steering wheel loosely and left arm resting on the open window, the breeze blowing his hair like grass in a windy meadow. 

“Hmm?” Jonghyun hummed questioningly, turning his head to fix his gaze on Key who was smiling smugly.

“It’s a Friday night, so I can only presume that you would usually go home and relax,” Key started, pausing to let Jonghyun respond. 

“That’s right, Friday is pizza night too.” 

“You have a set night to eat pizza?” Key asked comically, veering off topic. Jonghyun frowned, confused as to why other people didn’t set a night to eat a certain food. 

“Anyway,” Key continued, “you were super cute to hang out with for that short time at the coffee shop and I sort of don’t want to just drop you home and say goodbye, on the other hand I also don’t want to join you in your Friday night pizza affairs, nor do I want to watch the 6 o’clock news with that too,” he laughed, deciding he was comfortable enough to humour Jonghyun’s “old people habits” as he had dubbed them in the coffee shop beforehand. 

“It’s 6:35, Key, we’ve missed the 6 o’clock news, or rather- you’ve missed it. I was watching it on the television behind you at the coffee shop,” Jonghyun informed, half bantering him, but also being half serious. Jonghyun did in fact glance to the news every so often in between listening to Key ramble about his adventures, but not impolitely. He picked his moments well. 

“Jjong!” Key laughed, expecting no less from his new friend. 

“Anywho what were you saying?” Jonghyun persisted, actually becoming intrigued now. 

“Oh, right, yeah, so all I was thinking was, lets…not go home yet?” Key suggested. Jonghyun inhaled and tilted his head slightly, he pursed his lips in thought before nodding to himself as he planned out various hypothetical situations in his head. 

“And do what?” he asked, to which Key just shrugged heavily, clearly open to anything. 

“Anything! I’ve done it all,” he bragged, “night club, wine bar, tacky bar, dodgy arcade, ballroom dancing, fancy restaurant, mcdonalds, theatre, theme park, spontaneous trip to Europe.”

“You’ve taken a spontaneous trip to Europe?” Jonghyun chimed in. 

“Indeed I have,” Key nodded proudly. 

“Jeez, my idea of a spontaneous trip is going to the store not on a Thursday…”

“Really?”

“No, Key,” Jonghyun stated bluntly, understanding why Key would believe him. Key put his other hand on the steering wheel and leaned forward laughing. 

“You’re funny, you have a dry sense of humour, I like that,” he smiled. Jonghyun blushed slightly and cowered in on himself as if he was being pushed back into his seat. 

“I’m not that funny,” he modestly admitted, to which Key completely disagreed and wouldn’t take any other answer. 

“Seriously though, where shall we go? Because I’m almost at your house which is not where we want to go, I need to turn off somewhere,” Key said as he neared Jonghyun’s street rapidly. 

“Uhh, you choose,” Jonghyun said hurriedly.

“Lets start with something standard, wine bar? Or tacky bar? How are you doing for money? Wait it doesn’t matter, I’ll pay, women pay on the 2nd date right? Wine bar it is!” Key turned at the next left, away from Jonghyun’s house which they had just about reached and towards one of the many wine bars he had been to in his life. 

“So this is our 2nd date, huh? 2 dates in one night, scandalous,” Jonghyun remarked to which Key laughed in response, still enjoying Jonghyun’s sense of humour the more it came out. 

“Do you even drink wine?” Key asked, glancing at Jonghyun in between focusing on the road. 

“Only on Wednesdays. Wine Wednesday,” Jonghyun joked. Key snorted, enjoying this ever forming inside joke they had going on. 

“Really though,” he reiterated, “do you?” 

“Uhm,” Jonghyun thought, “not particularly. I’m not opposed to it though. I don’t drink it regularly, but I do enjoy it.” 

“Oh my gosh!” Key interrupted, “we should actually declare Wednesday as wine Wednesday. Every Wednesday we shall go to a different bar every week, starting next week!” he squealed, so proud of his idea. 

“Okay,” Jonghyun simply replied. 

“You’d actually like that? That’s sorted then! Wine Wednesday!” Key declared happily. 

“What about Fridays then? Apart from tonight, what should we do on Fridays?” Jonghyun inquired. Key stopped at a traffic light and turned to look at him.

“You wanna see me on Fridays too?” he beamed. Jonghyun shrugged nonchalantly, deciding to be subtle about it.

“I wouldn’t say no…” he hinted. 

“Okay it needs to alliterate like wine Wednesday though, what activity begins with F?” 

“Fabulous pizza,” Jonghyun suggested. 

“No! I’ll get you out of your Friday pizza habit, no 6 o’clock news either! How about…” 

“ing,” Jonghyun stated comically seriously, Key responding by erupting into laughter yet again. 

“Jjong!!” he cried, playfully hitting Jonghyun’s arm. 

“How about fun Friday?” he suggested once he’d stopped laughing. 

“That’s the same thing.” Key sat in silence, shoulders jolting from laughter that he was trying to hold back this time. 

“How are you funnier than me?” he asked. Jonghyun shrugged in response and let out a yawn, earning a look of disapproval from Key. 

“Uh-uh, you’re not tired yet! We haven’t even arrived there yet!” 

“When even are we arriving there?” 

“Now, as it happens,” Key chuckled as he pulled into a parking space outside a nice looking building riddled with fancy but quaint lights. He pulled down the mirror flap from the car ceiling and adjusted his bangs, perfect blonde hair falling in the exact right places on his forehead. Jonghyun just watched him in awe, how could a man be so beautiful? He looked at his own hair in the mirror, ruffling it around a little bit before deciding it looked nowhere near as good as Key’s in his opinion and flicking the mirror back up to the ceiling. 

“Ready?” Key asked, flicking his own mirror back up too.

“Yup!” Jonghyun grinned, actually pretty excited to do something outside of his norm. Jonghyun was a creature of habit, completely. He enjoyed order and structure, and anyone who came along and tried to destroy the natural order of his life was shunned straight away, except for Key, but why? Why Key? Something about this beautiful, sassy, confident blonde man coming into his life and stepping all over the balance just excited him more than anything else, he wanted more, Key made him want to adventure, he made him want to take that spontaneous trip to Europe. Maybe Jonghyun had been secretly waiting for the right man to come along and take him out of his comfort zone, a hidden desire, because now that it was happening, he absolutely loved it.