Chapter 4

Mr Librarian

“So this is a wine bar?” Jonghyun observed as he traipsed into this new building. He had seen the exterior of a wine bar before, but never the interior. It was just as he expected, classy and quiet. The bar was on the right as soon as you walked in, and then 13 tables s around the outskirts of the L shaped building with a couple of big tables in the middle. 

“I like this table,” Key pointed to the left at a table for two next to some stairs that probably lead to the kitchen. The chairs were big and comfy looking, like arm chairs. Inconvenient if you plan to eat something too messy but great for a drink. 

“Shall we order some food too? They do tapas,” Key suggested as they walked to the table.

“What’s tapas?” Jonghyun asked innocently. 

“You don’t know what tapas is?” 

“Nope.” 

“It’s like,” Key thought of how to explain as the two of them took a seat, “just lots of little dishes of different types of food, then you get a little bit of lots of things,” he decided on, with some hand gestures to accompany his description. 

“Can I get you any drinks?” a waitress asked politely. Key and Jonghyun looked up in surprise, not even noticing her arrival until she spoke. 

“Ah two glasses of the house red please,” Key requested, ordering on Jonghyun’s behalf seeing as the man was seemingly uneducated on wine. The waitress bowed and left to pour the drinks out. 

“You can always trust the house red, it’s beautiful,” Key promised. Jonghyun just nodded, trusting Key’s judgement on the wine front. Key grabbed one of the two menus that were sat on the table and opened it like a newspaper, scanning his eyes around it. 

“What kind of stuff do you like to eat?” he asked Jonghyun, who shrugged shyly. 

“Anything, surprise me.” 

“I’ll go and order at the bar then, and then when the food comes out you’ll be surprised!” Key proposed, instantly standing up and scuttling to the bar to order. Jonghyun smiled to himself, of course he had food preferences, he ordered pizza every Friday and had the same sorts of food through out the whole week; standard Korean dishes, nothing too exciting. Tonight was different, however. Tonight he was with Key, and Key was his habit breaker, a spark of excitement in his life. Jonghyun didn’t care if it was something as simple as food, he wanted Key to surprise him. 

“Ordered!” Key stated happily, joining Jonghyun back at the table. He crossed one leg over the other and folded his arms, leaning back into the big arm chair and narrowing his eyes at Jonghyun. 

“What?” Jonghyun asked, feeling slightly self conscious under Key’s fiery gaze. 

“Time to really get to know each other,” Key decided, not hesitating to ask his first question. 

“Jonghyun, have you always been such a creature of habit?” Jonghyun bit his bottom lip nervously, before deciding that he wouldn’t lie to Key, he’d taken him on two dates in one day, he was clearly interested in Jonghyun and Jonghyun didn’t want to push that away. 

“Yes, yes I have.” Key nodded slowly at the confession. It was true, Jonghyun had always been like this, since he was very little. He never knew why he was like that or what caused it but he had always got himself stuck in routine and ritual. The world made him anxious, life made him nervous, the structure in his life was everything, and he was happy like that in his organised little world, yet this one man made him want to break free and live a little. He made him feel less anxious about trying new things and adventuring. 

“Why do you live like that?” Key asked, not holding back from the honest questions, and Jonghyun didn’t mind one bit. 

“It feels safe,” Jonghyun confessed. It was the truth, he felt safe in this mental world he had created. 

“I’ll keep you safe now, Jjong. Me and you will get out there and have fun and live, maybe take that spontaneous trip to Europe together, and I’ll protect you along the way,” Key declared. Jonghyun’s heart melted right there on the spot, and much to his delight, Key continued. 

“I know why you do it. I know why you have your weekday 9 to 5 job, I know why you eat certain food on certain days, I know why you tick along in this universe you’ve created for yourself; this universe where everything is the same every day because that’s how you like it. I know why you feel safe surrounded by habit and routine, but I’m here to turn your universe upside down.” 

“Are you an angel?” Jonghyun asked jokingly, but in a completely serious voice. Key chuckled softly, flicking a loose hair away from his eyes. “Key, do you have a job?” 

“Yes, I work on a zero hour contract though,” Key told Jonghyun who didn’t look one bit surprised that Key would be under a zero hour contract. “It’s an office job, which might surprise you, but it’s perfect because I don’t work all that much, and I don’t know when I’ll get called in but when I do it pays well, very well.” 

“How did you land a job like that?” Jonghyun gaped. 

“Because I’m Kim Kibum?” Key stated as if Jonghyun should already know that. And at that, the food arrived, lots of little dishes spreading all around the table nicely. Jonghyun looked at it all excitedly and dug in straight away, as did Key. They didn’t talk all that much from that moment onward, both were too busy eating away and just enjoying each others company, both for completely different reasons. 

It reached the 9pm mark and both had finished eating and drinking, Key paying the waitress at the bar so Jonghyun didn’t see the amount that it came to and offering him a lift home. Usually Key would stay out after 9pm, this was early evening to him but he had to take baby steps with Jonghyun. After all, he’d taken him straight from work to a coffee shop to a wine bar the man needed his sleep, Key assumed that Jonghyun went to bed pretty early compared to most people as well. 

“Thank you for dropping me home, Key, and thank you for taking me out on 2 dates. I really never expected this, I never expected you’d walk into my life but I’m so glad you did,” Jonghyun said sincerely. 

“Do you want one more act of spontaneity? It doesn’t include travelling anywhere,” Key offered. Jonghyun raised an eyebrow suspiciously. 

“Go on then…” 

Key smirked at the approval and leaned in slowly, nearing Jonghyun’s lips with his own, and in that moment Jonghyun decided to be the spontaneous one for the first time, not prepared to wait 10 seconds for Key to slowly lean in like some cheesy romance sitcom. He reached his hand round to the back of Key’s head, grabbing his hair and pulling him into his own lips passionately. Key was taken by surprise for a second but quickly picked up on what was happening and went along with it, fiercely making out with the beautiful man in front of him before quickly pulling back. 

“Jjong I’m so proud of you!” he laughed, acknowledging Jonghyun’s bold move in the name of spontaneity. Jonghyun ignored the comment completely and pulled Key back in one more time, letting Key snake his arms around his waist. Despite the awkwardness to reach this position in a car, the seats too far away from each other for their comfort, the pair never wanted to leave this position, they wanted life to pause in this moment and start again in a couple of years. 

______________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Hey guys! So I haven’t written an authors note yet and I decided I should probably write one to express my thoughts about this fic. Firstly thank you so much for the lovely lovely lovely comments, I’m only 4 little chapters in and you guys are insanely nice thank you so much <3 <3 Secondly, the wine bar they went to is completely based off the wine bar I work at just because I know how everything works there so I could follow that hehehe. Thirdly, I find writing this is actually kind of therapeutic, basically Jonghyun’s character is a reflection of my own OCD and writing his thought process on paper is actually very therapeutic somehow so I think I’ll be writing a lot more of inner Jonghyun thoughts and I may even do a couple of chapters written in first person from his point of view if you guys don’t mind that. Anyway thank you again so so much! I’ll write another authors note in a few chapters but for now I’ll just be replying to all your comments! <3