Chapter 6

Mr Librarian

Jonghyun’s point of view

Once again, I woke up debating in my head whether the previous day had really happened or not. First, Key showed up into my life out of nowhere, second he takes me on two dates in one night, third he takes me on a cheesy road trip to a waterfall to have the most cringe worthy date ever; but I loved it. Cringe worthy or not, time with Key was perfect. 

Was he going to show up again today? I knew he had work the next day, as did I, but what about today? Do I get my third day in a row of dates with Key. At that coincidental moment, my phone bleeps obnoxiously, signalling that I have multiple texts coming through at once. So Key was one of those texters, huh? Multiple small texts rather than just one long one. I grabbed my phone from the bedside table that I was lying lazily next to and read the chain of texts which consisted of Key inviting me to his house and informing me of his address. Why that took 4 separate messages, I don’t know. 

I happily rolled out of bed and made the bed covers neatly, making sure that every crease was flattened and the pillows were arranged in a perfect array at the head of the bed and the throw was placed neatly at the foot. I didn’t care that I would take a while to get to Key’s house because of my habits, I’m sure he’d presume this was what I was doing anyway. If I leave the bed unmade it will just play on my mind until I make it, that was just me. It’s who I am. 

The next task of the day after the bed making was the dusting. I hate dust, with a very strong passion. The sight of a dusty surface makes me want to cry; it has made me cry actually. More than once too. Dust looks bad, it always looks bad no matter what light you look at it in and if a surface is dusty in my house, I have to clean it. I went over all the surfaces with a feather duster, I did it properly with spray once a week, usually on a Sunday but I’ll do it later. Every morning I just use the feather duster for a quick solution to keeping the dust at bay. 

Lastly would usually be to eat breakfast, but Key had said to not eat yet as he was going to make pancakes- which were apparently his speciality. Finally I made my way to Key’s house, the walk wasn’t too long, I did it in twenty minutes. Sure, I could have got the bus, but why spend the money when the walking distance wasn’t too bad? 

I gingerly rang the doorbell and Key answered quickly, clearly excited to see me. 

“Good morning! You took a while to get here, but it’s okay, I assumed you were…busying away with your…things?” he contemplated. 

“Yeah, sorry,” I apologised, seeing what he was trying to say. 

“Oh, no it’s fine I understand,” Key replied, waving his hands, “come in, come in,” he ushered, letting me walk in first and shutting the door behind me. 

“Nice house,” I lied, feeling as if I should compliment it, that’s what people usually do, right? Well I wasn’t completely lying, Key had an excellent taste in modern furniture- as I expected- but he just needed to…clean up a little. 

“Thank you, these are the new sofas I was telling you about,” he said as he pointed towards two lovely black sofas with colourful geometric cushions that worked beautifully against the black colour. 

“Oh yeah, they’re really nice. You have a very contemporary taste in furniture,” I complimented. Key smiled happily in return. 

“Yeah, Minho had no say in the furniture choices, he knows how I like it and let me get on with the decorating, anyway he approves of my choices, well, he does now,” I zoned out half way through Key speaking, not because he was boring, but the name of his housemate sparked memories. That name, the name I was trying so hard to forget. Minho. It obviously wouldn’t be the same guy, there was plenty of Minho’s around, the name just made me remember things, things I didn’t really want to remember. I lied to Key a little bit once when I said I’d never been in a relationship before, but it’s only because I’m trying to not think about it myself. 

“Where is your housemate then?” I asked, avoiding using the name Minho. 

“Oh he’s just out with a friend, he’ll be back later on,” Key waved it off, heading straight for the kitchen muttering ‘pancakes’ over and over and gathering some ingredients from the cupboards. I followed him into the kitchen, not surprised by the contemporary design in this room either. Mainly black with splashes of red, with quite a nice island counter. Dishes were piled annoyingly next to the sink and even cluttered inside the sink, ready to be washed. 

“Pancakes are my speciality,” Key bragged. 

“So you said,” I smiled, “I guess I’ll have to be the judge of that though.” 

“Oh you’ll like them. No, you’ll love them, and if you don’t, then…” he thought, I leaned towards him with raised eyebrows, putting him under more pressure to come up with a threat. 

“I will, I will…throw pancake batter in…in your face,” he tried. I shook my head disapprovingly at his failed threat and he turned around chuckling to himself, gathering up the ingredients. 

“Key?” I asked. 

“Jjong?” he retorted. 

“Are we…you know, I mean, are you my boyfriend? Am I your boyfriend, are we…” I trailed off awkwardly, not quite sure how I was trying to word this question. I could have just asked him straight out, as I’m sure he would have done, but I just crumbled. It felt weird saying it out loud. Key put down the wooden spoon he had just been mixing the batter with and turned around to look at me. 

“If you want to be?” he asked. All the possible words to say had completely left my mind, what was I to say to that?

“I would love that,” I admitted. Key walked up to me and wrapped his arms around me protectively. 

“Then you’re officially all mine,” he declared. I gingerly wrapped my arms around him also, burying my face into his shoulder. I’d finally found the right man for me, after my previous encounters- you could put it- I think I’d found him. 

The door clicked softly and a familiar voice called out a ‘I’m back!’. A very familiar voice, too familiar at that. I pulled away quickly from Key and spun around to face the man who’d just entered the house. No way, out of all the people in this god damn city, why him? Out of all the Minho’s, out of all the possible Choi Minho’s, it was this one. 

Minho stopped dead in his tracks and stared at me, wide eyed. 

“This is my boyfriend, Jonghy…” Key began but stopping half way through my name after picking up the unbearably tense vibe. 

“Jonghyun,” Minho finished for him. 

“Minho,” I muttered, feeling like everything was crumbling around me. 

“It’s…it’s good to see you again,” Minho said carefully, slowly stepping towards me. 

“I wish I could say the same to you,” I seethed, turning back around to Key, “Key I’m really sorry, I have to go,” I apologised, walking straight past Minho and out the front door. 

Out of all people, why him? Why did he have to come back into my life, and why through Key? Why, through my perfect boyfriend, did Choi Minho have to pop up into my life again, this wasn’t fair.