Chapter 2

Mr Librarian

Key wasn’t sure why he had returned to the library, but he did, and here he was. Stood in front of that same desk eye to eye with the same librarian. 

“Hello, Mr Librarian,” he greeted. 

“You came back? Are you borrowing any books?” Jonghyun asked, completely ignoring the ‘Mr Librarian’ title. 

“No, I was just bored,” Key admitted with a smirk. Jonghyun narrowed his eyes at Key and started typing something on the computer slightly to his left. 

“What you doing?” Key asked.

“Work,” Jonghyun stated, thinking it was probably slightly obvious what he was doing, seeing as he was at his workplace. However, though he wouldn’t admit it, Jonghyun was happy to see Key. He wasn’t even sure why, but he wanted to see him again after the first time only the day before. Maybe deep down he was craving something interesting to happen. With the same routine every single day, the same people, Key felt like a breath of fresh air. He was outgoing and funny, somehow this was secretly what Jonghyun wanted. The same went for Key, he was the one who made the effort to come back the next day. With no intention of borrowing any books. There was something about Jonghyun, so quiet and serious, but obviously very intelligent. Key lived a busy, social, fun life. With the same social people, he’d never met anyone quite like Jonghyun. Who, although was someone he’d usually deem boring, Key was drawn to his nature. 

“What time do you finish work?” Key asked straight out, feeling this was the right moment. 

“5 o’clock,” Jonghyun replied, Key sniggered slightly. 

“And I suppose you started at 9am right?” 

“Of course,” Jonghyun nodded. 

“You know my name, but I don’t know yours,” Key pointed out, to which Jonghyun nodded slowly. 

“Jonghyun,” he stated. 

“Alright, Jonghyun, you finish at 5pm, then at 5:05 you’re going to meet me in that coffee shop down the road, I presume you know the one. See you soon Mr Librarian,” Key his heel and walked out. Jonghyun stared at him as he walked, fascinated by this creature he calls Key. There was no one quite like him. Not that Jonghyun knew that many people, but Key was more unique then the most unique of movie characters. What must Key think of him? Boring, samey, dull? Although, he was showing interest in him so maybe he wasn’t as dull as he thought. Jonghyun liked to think that he had a good sense of humour. Dry, and subtle, he didn’t think Key would like that kind of humour but apparently he didn’t mind it. 

The day ticked by at the same pace as usual, steady but not slow, a normal day. What did Key do for the rest of the day? Does he work or just play? He must be earning some money, he lives in Seoul. Jonghyun grabbed his coat and bag from his usual hanger and said goodbye to his colleagues before leaving the library and commuting the short walk to the coffee shop in which Key had requested Jonghyun’s presence. Key stood to the left of the front door, back against the wall with one foot propped up on it too. 

“You came,” Key observed. Jonghyun tilted his head slightly at Key, frowning gently. 

“You thought that I wouldn’t?” Key just shrugged in response. 

“You’re a guy, I’m a guy…” he began. 

“So?” Jonghyun asked quickly. 

“Well I didn’t know if you were…uh, you know, so I was only taking a chance because I kinda think you’re a bit attractive and I’m still not sure if you’re, like, well,” Key rambled aimlessly, being cut off by a simple statement. 

“I’m gay.” 

The two just stared at each other before Jonghyun broke the ice. 

“Coffee?” he asked, walking straight past Key into the coffee shop. Key still stood there astounded. He’d asked out a couple guys before but had never met one that was actually also gay. Jonghyun was by far the most attractive guy so far too, was this really happening? He shook his head and jogged into the coffee shop, catching up with Jonghyun in the queue. 

“What do you want? I’ll pay,” Jonghyun offered. 

“Oh really? You don’t have to do that,” Key blushed, having never had another man buy him anything. 

“They say the man is supposed to pay on the first date, right?” Jonghyun asked confidently. Key laughed, bending over as he did. 

“Hey are you saying I’m feminine?!” he laughed as he spoke, nudging Jonghyun playfully. 

“I’ll have a latte,” he chuckled, turning around to find a seat but stopping dead in his tracks and running back.

“Wait did you call this a date? Is this a date?” he hurriedly asked, Jonghyun just calmly shrugging. 

“If you want it to be?” he said in a question tone. Key pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes, thinking momentarily. 

“It’s a date,” he stated, turning around once more to find a seat and leaving Jonghyun to order. He chose a quaint looking booth by the window, propping down and resting his elbows on the table with his chin resting on his hands. Jonghyun came back after a couple of minutes carrying two coffees. 

“I wasn’t sure if you take sugar, so I brought some over anyway,” he said as he placed Key’s coffee in front of him, 2 sugar sachets sat on the side of the saucer. 

“Oh I don’t, but thank you anyway,” Key smiled, putting the two sachets the one side and taking a small sip of latte. 

“What did you get?” he asked Jonghyun, peering into his coffee cup. 

“Mocha,” Jonghyun replied, taking a sip of his hot beverage. 

“What’s a mocha?” Key asked innocently. 

“You don’t know? It’s a hot chocolate and coffee mix. I couldn’t chose between the two drinks, so, I got both,” Jonghyun beamed, somewhat proud of his idea. Key opened his mouth a little as he nodded slowly to what Jonghyun was saying. 

Key watched Jonghyun as he took another sip of his drink, looking down into his mug watching the liquid pour into his mouth. He wasn’t sure what it was about Jonghyun, someone so simple and different to him, but he liked it. He was intrigued by his whole being, he could just sit and watch him all day and he really didn’t know why, and best of all- he was on a date with this fascinating man.