The same kind of potential

Life before Got7

My BRAVO performance tonight would cost my dearly, but I had to prove to my dad that I was a man of my word. 

 

 

 

"Since Jackson has voiced his strong concerns for his and his follow miscreants well-being that we have decided to take him up on his offer.  He and he alone will receive the rest of the group punishment." JYP stated. Both Jr and JB started to voice their displeasure at that decision.

 

“It has been decided!" JYP raised his voice. They stopped immediately and lowered their heads. "We will see if he can live up to his words."

 

"Chansung and Junho, do you remember the group punishment you received shortly after your debut?" JYP asked the two men.

 

They both answered loudly, "Yes, Hyung-nim!"

 

"Good...We will leave it to you then. The other two boys must watch only. Make sure you don't fall asleep!" he warned my friends. "That would be most unpleasant for Jackson."

 

One last look from my father told me I might regret my choice, but what's done was done! I would have to live with it.

 

JYP handed his keys to Chansung, "Head down to the boathouse. Everything you need is in there."

 

 

Like some of the fancy boathouses on the East Coast of the US, it had two levels. The bottom level stored the boat with all its necessities and the upper level was like a small living area.

 

Chansung unlocked the side door and pushed it open, extending his long muscular arm. "After you... Head up gentlemen, we'll be up shortly. "

 

We did as he asked and quietly made our way up to the flat. Once out of sight and out of ear-shot, Jr rounded on me.

 

 "Are you a complete idiot? We were in this together! Couldn't you just once drop your Saint act... just once?" He was pissed. He actually looked like he was going to punch me.

 

I quickly took a step back out of his immediate arms reach.

 

"Jr, how was I supposed to know our dads would go all mental?" I pleaded with him." I just reacted....you know how I am. I would do anything to keep you guys out of harm’s way."

 

"That's part of your problem! ..WE DID THIS TOGETHER and we SHOULD ALL BE PUNISHED THE SAME!" he throw his hands over head and waved me away. "But now, I'm going to be forced to watch from the sidelines...Thanks a lot, FRIEND!" he definitely didn't sound very friendly. He turned and walking away. "You're in for a rude awakening. Being a martyr, isn't all it's cracked up to be."

 

I looked around the flat. It was full of exercise equipment; free weights, a couple of tread mills, stationary bikes, medicine balls and something like a bow-flex machine. Great! It was going to be like the Spanish Inquisition...torture by fitness equipment.

 

I noticed the clock on the wall "1:50am".  I could hear the Hyungs climbing the stairs. The three of us quickly lined up and stood at attention.

 

"This isn't how I envisioned spending my Sunday night."Junho mumbled as he rounded the corner into the main room. He looked angry. Chansung didn’t look much better.

 

"Well, I guess we'd better get started...You two... Go kneel over there." Chansung pointed over to the far left corner. "Make sure you two don't fall asleep. That would be most unfortunate for Jackson."

 

"Chansung Hyung-nim, I beg you to reconsider this and allow us all to participate!" Jr dropped down on his knees right in front of his hyung.

 

"Jr, don't make this any hard than it already is for me...You heard your father! If I don't do as he requested, we all could be in for it. Junho and I have to think about our group and what would happen to them if we screw up.  Sorry, my dongseung. But my hands are tied." He pointed again. "Now go."

 

Jr glared at me as he moved and knelt beside JB.

 

"Well, let's proceed, shall we?" Chansung stated. "Junho, what should he do first?"

 

"Stretching, of course. We wouldn't want our young friend to injure himself." Junho said. "Sit down and we'll start."

 

Their idea of stretching was quite extreme to what I was used to. At one point, they had my legs so far apart I thought my jeans would rip or my legs would snap out of their sockets.

 

I remained silent through it all only allowing an odd grunt or groan. I felt like a human pretzel. I didn't realize one's body could be made to move that way.

 

"Now that you're all stretch out, let's get started for real" Chansung stood up.

 

I exhaled louder than I wanted to, then stood up and waited for their next order.

 

"First, let's warm up with the 10 minute work-out. 30 seconds of sit ups, 30 seconds of mountain climbing then 30 seconds of the plank. Then repeat until the timer rings. No resting permitted. Junho set your phone. Ready...set..."

 

"What if I need to stop?" I interrupted.

 

"I highly recommend that you don't. It would be most unpleasant for you. Any more questions?" he looked very serious.

 

My body shuddered, my imagination wasn't helping me. I shook my head.

 

"Ready, set, go!"

 

I started off at an average pace. I thought, if I had to do this for ten whole minutes, I needed to pace myself.

 

"My grandmother could do that faster. Let's pick up your pace." Junho demanded.

 

Yes, his true idiot side was starting to show.  I did my best to comply.

 

After the first 5 minutes, my body was starting shake when I was doing the plank. I had the force myself to concentrate. This would be where I'd lose it, if I was careless.

 

Junho called out "change" every thirty seconds, ”Quickly! Don't stop.." I dropped on to my stomach then rolled over into sit-up positions. I started up. My breathing was louder than ever when I exhaled.  Who cares up they think? I was almost at my breaking point.

 

"Switch."  Thank God!

 

My back was burning from all the bending and stomach muscle won't in much better shape.  I kept moving my legs left, right, left.  I struggle over each hurdle. 

 

”Switch!"

 

The plank! I groaned from the strain. Certainly, time had to be almost up. I needed water.

 

"Change!" My arms collapsed at that moment. Thank the God's that it happened at that moment. The Hyungs didn't notice, I rolled over on my back and started more sit-ups.

 

"Time!" Junho shouted. I flopped down, breathing heavily. I closed my eyes and tried to regain control of my burning body.

 

“Well, that was quite impressive! Wouldn't you say, boys." Chansung said to my friends. “Honestly, I didn't think you would make it past the first 5 minutes, let alone the whole 10 minutes. That earned you a three minute rest period."

 

"How about some water?" I asked.

 

"Sorry...That's part of the punishment." Junho state as he set his timer.

 

I just laid there with my eye closed, focusing on my breathing. My heart was racing. Just calm yourself.  Enjoy this moment of peace before you have to start again.

 

"Time to get back to it." Junho stated motioning me to get up. I moved as quickly as my body would allow.

 

"Fireman lift..." Junho pointed to a 20kg bag of rice that I hadn't noticed before." You are to carry it down the stairs and back up...over to here.  Put it down then started again, for a total of ten reps.You got it?"

 

I nodded and hauled the bag up over my left shoulder. I started down the steps. It wasn't that tough on the way down but it definitely took its toll when you were climbing back up.

 When I dropped it down for the 8th time, I bent down and put my hands on my knees to catch my breath. My thighs were burning.

 

"Jeung, you better get moving or we'll have to add 5 more reps on." Junho warned.

 

"Come on, Jackson! Focus! You got this!" my boys cheered.

 

I shot Junho a murderous look but quickly grabbed the bag and throw it over my shoulder and started back down the stairs. I was drenched in sweat, no longer cold from the shower we received early and no lingering effects of the alcohol I drank either.

 

I throw the bag down with a thud, "10!" I dropped down to the ground and rolled on my back, panting. I closed my eyes.

 

"You earned a 2 minute rest" Chansung started his timer. What is their deal? Why are they so precise about everything?

 

"Time....Up!" Chansung motioned me to stand.

 

 

 

"Let's do another circuit. This time: 10 pull-ups, followed by the duck walk ten time back and forth then skipping 100 times in a row for a total of ten cycle each. Does that sound reasonable to you, Chansung?"

 

"Perfectly fair, with good distribution of muscular usage." Chansung nodded in agreement. "Any questions?"

 

"What if I miss count? Or the rope gets tangled?" I asked.

 

"We'll be counting out loud, keeping you on track, so you just have to focus on your job..." Chansung patted my shoulder reassuringly. "Let's get started."

 

 

I did the pull ups to a steady rate... My arm were shaky at number 8 but I motored through with a few grunts.

 

The duck walk was second nature to me because a lot of my teachers like to make their students do it for minor issues, like being late for class or falling asleep in class. I was quite known for doing both.

 

Chansung handed me the skipping rope. I took it and got ready to jump. Hikers and jeans weren't designed for skipping. I had no other choice so I started jumping. I managed to complete a whole cycle.  My arms were exhausted and my legs felt numb.

 

I dropped to my knees, panting. Sweat was dropping off me.

 

"One minute break"

 

I rolled over on my back and tried to stretch my body out. It felt like every one of my muscles were screaming out in pain.

 

"Time..." Chansung called out.

 

I made my way over to the pull up bar and grabbed a hold. I gritted my teeth and started my punishment again.

 

I had lost all track of time and had no idea how many reps I had done but I just pushed myself to continue.

 

"That kid is a freak'n machine!" Junho exclaimed. Both older men were amazed at my stamina.

 

It wasn't me who faltered first. JB had closed his eyes too long and Junho had noticed it.

 

"Well...Jackson! You can thank your good friend for this...10 minutes in the torpedo position."

 

"JB! You idiot!" Jr punched him twice in the arm hard. "You better not do that again." His threat was very evident to everyone.

 

I complied with his order. My aching body strained to maintain that position. After 5 minutes, I was starting to get dizzy. My balance was unsteady.

 

"Come on, Jeung! Fight it!"  Jr shouted at me. "Proved to them, you can take it."

 

I fought through the pain and regained my position.

 

"Time!"

 

I collapsed to the floor, breathing hard with my eyes closed.  How much longer would I have to withstand all this? My body was dehydrated. My head was pounding. My lip and throat were dry.

 

"Water." I croaked.

 

"Finished your last two reps then you can have some." Junho stated. I knew I hated that guy for a reason.

 

I slowly made my way over to the pull up bar.

 

"Hwaiting!"  Jr yelled out. "You got this!"

 

I guess my stubbornness actually paid off because I refused to quit. I managed to struggle through the last of the reps by sheer determination.

 

I was on my final cycle of skipping, when something unfortunate happened.

 

  Around my 77th  jump,  one of my boot laces had come undone... At 80, it tangled with the rope and I stumbled in a heap to the ground

 

"So even a machine can breakdown .... or maybe you're human after all." Junho chuckled.

 

JB and Chansung were by my side helping me. Jr ran to the mini kitchen and grabbed a couple bottles of water.

 

"He's not done, yet!" Junho grabbed Jr's arm as he was about to hand me a water.

 

"Oh yes he is!" Jr flung Junho hand off his arm. Junho backed down immediately.

 

"Here..Drink! This is over!" Jr eyes were in a state of near panic." Ahbojee!... This ..Stops.. NOW!"

 

I had no idea why he was saying that to his father when he wasn't even here. He must be totally out of it, too.

 

I took the bottle and drank it down quickly. I started coughing near the end.

 

"Easy now! We don't need you to choke to death." Chansung patted me on my back.

 

All the boys were kneeling around me, as I drank my second bottle. I had injured my left wrist slightly in the fall. It was throbbing. My breathing was slowly returning to normal.

 

"Well...I must say your performance tonight was impressive, Jackson!"  The four boys around me, jumped up immediately to face the voice of JYP. I raised myself, a couple of beats behind them. I bowed to our fathers who were now standing at the top the stairway.

 

My confusion was quite evident.

 

"I'll enlighten you, my dear boy. We have the whole property hooked to CCTV for security reasons, but it can be useful in other situations, too." JYP pointed up to what I thought was a motion sensor.

 

That explains why both Chansung and Junho were very serious about my punishment, they knew they were being watched.

 

"Jihoon-ssi, I see your son has the same kind of potential you had when I first met you..." He was facing my father. "But here's the question that I'd like answered, “What is he going to do with it?" JYP turned to me now.

 

I held his glaze for ten seconds, but dropped my head after because I had no real answer for him or my father.

 

"That's been a topic of many heated discussion in our home." my father stated. "Isn't that right, Jackson?"

 

"Yes, Ahbojee." I agreed, it definitely had.

 

 

A/N;  Very long chapter ;)