"No to Alcohol"

Life before Got7

I heard another vehicle pull to a stop outside then a knock at the cabin door. JYP answered it.

 

"Good evening, Boys. Glad you could make it on such short notice." JYP greeted them warmly and walked them both over to us with an arm around each of their necks.  I wasn't too sure if it was supposed to be friendly greeting or... But the looks on both Chansung and Junho faces showed concern. They greeted both JB's and my father with a polite 90 degree bow and a two-handed handshake. When their eyes finally found their way to the three of us, they popped wide open.

 

 I wanted to disappear. I knew my face had turned red. It felt hot, but not because of the heat from the fire. I was so embarrassed. I couldn't make eye contact with either of them.  And I wasn’t the only one.  Both of the others were looking at the floor too.

 

"On behalf of our immature sons, we would like to thank you for assuring our boys' safety and well-being last weekend... I thought you two should be involved in educating our sons about their actions last weekend." JYP smiled as he clapped his hands on the two older men’s backs. 

 

The older men just nodded their heads. "I cleared tomorrow's schedule so you are free to join in. Jihoon, we'll need a couple extra glasses."

 

He can't be serious.  I had had enough.  They had proven their point already. What was the point to this now? I should asked. I should plead to their sense of fairness.

 

My dad grabbed the extra glasses and had lined them up with the others.

 

"You can get dressed." The three of us quickly obeyed.  Once I was fully dressed, I stopped shaking. 

 

My mind was clearing up and I could think straight again. We deserved to be punished, I totally agree with that. That's why I did everything they told us to do so far. But I don't agree with their methods.

 

 When I realized they were going to make us drink again, I decided to stand up for myself and just say "No to alcohol".  Isn't that their goal? To make us realize alcohol is not something we should be messing around with at our age.

 

"Gather around the island for the next game." JYP guided his new guests to the kitchen island. 

 

I grabbed Jr's arm and whispered, "I'm done with drinking." He shot me a look of disbelief. I nodded my head.

 

"Just go with it," he pleaded.

 

"Care to share, Jr!" his father demanded.

 

"It was nothing important, Ah-bo-jee." he bowed his head.

 

"Jackson?" he asked me. Jr grabbed my arm and pinched it quite hard, warning me to be careful. I shook my head.  "It was nothing, Aujussi."

 

Jr dragged me over to the island.

 

"The next game will be a team game. Who can get their bottle caps closest to the edge of the island without falling off. Chansung, since you're the maknae, you can join the younger boys and Junho will join our team. Losing team drinks."

 

Jr was still holding my arm. JB went first. He made it 3/4 of the way. His father made it just past his. Jr went next and his shot went all the way to the end and was barely hanging on. JYP flung his and knocked Jr's off as well as his own.

 

Chansung motioned for me to go. I shook my head so he went. His landed about 1 cm from the edge. Junho's sailed past everyone's and flew off the end of the Island.

 

Everyone was now looking at me. It was my turn. My bottle cap was still sitting on the island.

 

I backed away from the island and stood facing our three fathers. I did a formal bow or a sebae, hand over hand at my navel up to my chest, kneeling down to the ground with my hands followed by my head and then standing up again and I repeated the action again.

 

"I beg your forgiveness for last weekend's behaviour." I said as I stood up again. I think I shocked everyone. Their mouths stood wide open.

 

"I take full responsibility for what we did and will gladly take any punishment you think is fitting. I understand what you are trying to show us here but I have reached my limit." I looked directly at my father. "I must hold strong to what my mother taught me that no one has the right to force me into doing something that will harm my body or my mind... I will not drink any more alcohol tonight. "

 

There was total silence in the room. For a full minute, no one moved or said anything. My statement had impact.

 

 My father's surprised look slowly changed into his unreadable look. The little hairs on the back of my neck stood up and the little voice in my head was screaming at me to turn and run.  I took a deep breath and held my ground.

 

"It appears Jackson doesn't want to play anymore.  How about you two? Are you at your limits, too?" There was definitely some taunting in JYP voice.

 

Did they not have the guts to say it?! Don't let me down! Take ownership of your shortcomings! I glared at Jr who usually is the first to back me.  He looked much smaller than normal. It was the first time since I had met him that he couldn't look me in the eye. I was on my own here.

 

Fine.

 

My father walked slowly towards me with his hands behind his back. I remained still, my head raised in the normal position. Stay calm, don't panic! My rational brain was battling with myself preservation. I stared forward as my father circled around me. A chill ran down my spine. Don't move! My heart was going crazy.

 

"Follow me," he headed for the front door. What choice did I have, really?  I did as he commanded.

 

He headed towards the lake with me following behind. He stopped at its edge and bent to pick up a rock. Using a lot of strength, he heaved it as far as he could. He did that a dozen times before he stopped.  He exhaled loudly as he turned to face me.

 

"So, you take full responsibility for everything that happened last weekend. You're willing to take any punishment as long as it doesn't involve any more alcohol tonight." He restated some of my little speech.

 

"Yes, Ah-bo-jee." I hugged myself. It was freezing out here and I hadn't totally thawed out from our earlier shower.

 

 Truthfully, what could they really do if I refused to drink, short of force-feeding me against my will? I don't think my dad would do that. The whole lesson here was to prove that we shouldn't have been drinking. Really, this was kind of backward in my mind but I sure wasn't going to voice that opinion.

 

"Well, let's go! Let's see if you really mean those words." He headed back to the cabin. I sighed deeply and slowly followed behind him.

 

As we entered, my father called the other fathers over to one of the guest rooms for a private powwow.

 

"Man, it to be you guys! ...I almost had a heart attack when JYP called us out tonight...Looks like we might get a little burned too, from the looks of things." Chansung didn't look very impressed.

 

They were in the room for what seemed like forever. Chansung and Junho were talking quietly to each other, whereas the three of us just stood staring at the closed door.

 

When the door finally opened, I took in a deep breath and prepared myself for what was to come next.

 

The men walked out silently.