Let's Get this party started....

Life before Got7

The front door finally opened and out came my father dressed for the weather.

 

"Well, let's go." he pointed towards the garage and headed towards it.  I tried to stand but fall back to my knees. My legs and feet were asleep. I willed myself to move, slowly I got up and stagger after my father.  He chose his BMW SUV. It could handle all winter weather with ease.  I was surprised he was driving himself. I got in the back sit without a word.  He started the car and off we went.  Destination unknown. It was quiet in the car and only sound came from the heater and engine.

 

He made a short stop at a convenience store. "I'll be right back." He got out and went in. Five minutes later, he was back and putting a few bags in the back. Then we sent off again. We hopped on to the freeway and headed out of town. I had no idea where we were going but I kept my mouth shut.

 

As we drove, certain things began to look familiar.  I had been here before. We drove down a small driveway that led to a beautiful two story cabin. We had spent a week here a couple of summers ago for Jr's 15th birthday. We learned how to jet ski and water ski here. We had the best time.  I don't think I'm going to enjoy this visit.

 

As we pulled to a stop out front, there was already a couple of vehicles parked. The cabin lights were on.  My dad parked beside the other cars. He got out and went to the hatch and retrieved the bags. I reluctantly got out of the SUV.

 

"Let's move.  Hopefully they haven't started without us," as he led the way up on to the porch and knocked on the door. He opened, "We've arrived."

 

As we entered the great room of the cabin, there kneeling in front of their fathers were Jr and JB. I went over and joined them. The three amigos or in this case, the three stooges would be more fitting.

 

"Let's get this party started," JYP rubbed his hands together. My dad headed for the island in the kitchen area. He started unpacking his purchases. One by one the soju bottles came out of the bags, followed by a bunch of canned beer.  I quickly looked at Jr, he dropped his head. He knew we were screwed too.

 

"Im Taek-geum, got your son's iPod? You can plug it in over there." He pointed to a decent sound system. He headed off in that direction.

 

"We thought we'd show you boys how to really party. Jihoon, set them up!" My dad got six tall glasses and six shot glasses from the cupboard.  He lined them up and popped the first beer; poured until each glass was 2/3 full.  He lined up the six shot glasses and filled them up with soju.

 

"Alright, boys! Up to the bar! Don't be shy!" JYP clapped a firm hand on his son's back. Jr got up quickly and moved to the kitchen island. I stood up and briskly walked over and stood beside Jr. 

 

The music was booming with AC/DC. JB stayed kneeling. JYP looked over at JB's father who nodded his head.“Come on, boy. I hear you're a real party animal." With that, he grabbed JB under his arm and hauled him up, and led him over to us.

 

"Traditionally, one's first drink should be shared with one's father when one reaches adulthood. I can't speak for your fathers, but I'm a little hurt that you chose to break that custom." JYP spoke directly to his son.

 

Jr's head lowered even more. His face was grim. His eyes were red. He took a deep breath.

 

"Here's what we're going to do, since we missed sharing your first drink with you, we're going to educate you on some fun drinking games.  On the count of three, you boys will drop the shot glass into your beer glass then power drink it down. It would be in our best interest not to be the last one finished or an Indian bap awaits you. Do you understand?" JYP asked.

 

JB dropped to his knees, "Please, aujussi."

 

"Stand!" his father shouted at him. He complied.

 

"Get ready...hana...duel...set..." Kerplunk!  All six shot glasses hit the bottom of the beer glasses. Quickly I raised my glass to my mouth and chugged it down as fast as I could, trying not taste it. My throat burned and I thought it was going to come out my nose. I heard glasses slamming down on the island. I quickly did the same.  I was out of breath but I managed to finish it in one go. All the fathers had finished before us.  I just beat out Jr. Bang, bang went our glasses. JB was last.

 

"Down on all fours, JB." His father demanded. He was quickly surrounded by our fathers who helped him down. Jr and I helplessly stood back as our friend had his back drummed on by our three father's simultaneously.  Luckily for JB, it ended quickly.

 

"Set them up again!"

  

After his third straight loss, JB was fighting back the tears when they placed him back on his feet. Our fathers showed no mercy and set up the next round.

 

"Hana...duel...set!" I decided to take one for the team and held my glass up to look like I was drinking. When JB was halfway done, I started.

 

It might not have been very convincing but Jr had the same idea as me and just put his glass down before me.

 

“Finally, Jackson! It's your turn." I went down on my hands and knee before they surrounded me.  "Jihoon, your lead." With that, my father started and the others joined in. My back started to burn almost immediately. It took my breath away, it seemed to last for an extra-long time. Then one by one they stopped and I was yanked up into a standing position.

 

That silly feeling you get after a few drinks was now gone after the pounded on my back. That was a hell of a way to get sober.

 

Jr and I took turns. Even if our father knew that we were intentionally losing, they went along with it.

  

After all three of us had our back slammed three time, they decided to change the game.

 

"Shall we play basic 3,6,9 losing team has to drink? You boys know how play right? " JYP waited until the three of us that nodded.  "Great, I'll start. One."

 

 Jr said, "two."

 

My dad clapped and I said 4.  JB's father was 5. JB clapped. JYP was 7.  We made it through quite a few of times before someone screwed up. That person was poor JB so we had to down another boilermaker. 

 

"Jr, you start." This time Jr screwed up, so we had to down another drink. The alcohol was definitely taking effect on my brain. The next screw up was on me. I downed another drink.  My head was spinning and my coordination was off.

 

"Sorry, Ahbojee. I've had enough. Do what you want with me but I'm done with the alcohol." I turned my glass upside down and kneeled down. The other two boys’ mouths dropped open. Was I insane?

 

"Well, do all boys feel that way too? Let's sober you up some. Okay! Outside. Now!” My father pointed to the door.

 

I staggered to my feet and headed for the door. Anything was better than having to drink more.

 

The three of us stood together facing our fathers.  What now?

 

JYP disappeared around the side of the cabin and soon returned with a garden hose.

"Strip down to your briefs, quickly!"

 

Are you crazy? My mouth opened in shock. “What?...You're not serious."

 

"Get moving... unless you want us to help you?" my dad moved toward me.

 

I hastily pulled off my hoody and T-shirt, kicked off my hikers and undid my jeans. The others slowly did the same.  The three of us were standing in a row in our underwear.

 

"The three of you link arm in a circle facing out. On the count of three, you will do squats and keep doing them until I say stop. Do you understand?"

 

We linked up and got ready. "Hana...duel...set."

 

We went down fine but the getting up was a little bit hard. We struggled and managed to get back up. Again, we went down without a problem and fought to get up again.

 

"Stop! Stand side by side, hands on each of shoulders. Now squat!" that was a little bit better.  JB staggered after the sixth one and we tumbled over.

 

“I don't think you're giving it your best effort. Stand up and stay linked. Don't move."

 

We stood back up. Jr's father sprayed his son from head to toe. He let out a cry of shock as the cold water hit him. Next it was my turn, I took a deep breath just before I got slammed by the ice cold water.  Immediately, I started to shake from head to toe.  Last to experience one sure way to sober was JB. He let out high-pitched scream.

 

"Start again, if you can do 10 in a row. We'll stop and go back in. If not, we'll be here until you turn blue. Start." JYP pointed downwards.

 

We managed 7 before we slipped out of our hold.

 

"Stop!" We received another ice cold shower. "Again." We ended up getting sprayed two more times before we finally succeeded.

 

"Grab your clothes and head inside over to the fireplace." You didn't have to tell us twice. We did what we were told, dripping wet in front of the fire.  We stood there shaking with our heads down.

 

"How's your head now, Jackson? Did that clear it up some?" JYP asked.

 

"YYeess, aujussi." I stammered.

 

 "That's an old trick, but it's still very effective... Jr go get our guests some towels."

 

He returned and handed them to us. I quickly rubbed myself dry with my frozen fingers. Every of part of my body felt numb including my brain.  I wrapped the towel around my shoulders and waited for our next direction. Were we to get dressed or what? I wasn't going to ask. I just stood in front of the fire absorbing as much warmth as I could.