Decisions

Heartbreak Hotel: A Series of Unfortunate Love Affairs

“I just don’t know what to do about him and me.”

“Things are bad again?”

“Terrible. He’s always out with his friends, getting drunk and… you know the rest.”

“Same old; same old, I see.”

“I’m really tired, Tae. I just want someone I can love without fear; someone who will love and care for me without restrictions – someone who will be there no matter what.”

Taeyeon faces Tiffany for the first time during their conversation to find her best friend in tears; her hand now clinging to hers in a tighter grip. In any other occasion, she would’ve pulled Tiffany into her arms, say a few generic words of consolation and wait until either her phone or doorbell rung just to see her face light up to whatever romantic phrases or gestures he would bring along – it was a repetitive cycle she had witnessed enough times in the past few years to know by heart at this point.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

There it is: the doorbell. Whatever it was that he had done, it must have been serious; Taeyeon knows those are the only times he would drop by.

But that day is not like any other day; Tiffany has something else behind her eyes when the doorbell rings and Taeyeon has too much locked inside her chest to ignore the hard and painful thumping.

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“You’re not going to get that?”

Tiffany’s voice is low and sounds more like a request, than an actual question.

“Not today.”

It’s the first time they kiss and Taeyeon could swear Tiffany’s lips taste of strawberry ice cream and summer; her skin smells of flowers and spring, and her touch melts the winter inside of her.


*******


“I thought you were never going to kiss me. It surely took you long enough.”

“I’m sorry if I didn’t want to ruin our friendship. I was scared.” Taeyeon pouts. “What matters is that I did and now we’re here together.”

“True.” Tiffany caresses her wife’s cheek before pecking her lips. “Are the kids asleep already?”

“I think so, why?” A mischievous smile forms in the brunette’s face and Taeyeon giggles. “Oh, I see. My innocent wife is thinking dirty again.”

“Maybe. Aren’t you?”

“I surely am now.” Taeyeon wiggles her eyebrows and Tiffany laughs at the uny scene. “I love you, Fany.”

“And I love you.” They share a quick kiss, before Tiffany pulls away. “Now, let’s take this to the bedroom, shall we?”
 


*******


Ring. Ring. Ring.

“You’re not going to get that?”

Tiffany’s voice is low and sounds more like a request, than an actual question.

“I… probably should, shouldn’t I?”

“You don’t have to; if you don’t want to, Taeyeon. You can do… anything you want.”

Ring. Ring. Ring.

As she pulls Tiffany to straddle her – their lips trapped in a vigorous kiss – Taeyeon’s inner debate fades away. There is nothing she wants more, than to keep that woman forever in her arms.

 

*******


“I remember it well. You sure were aggressive; but I liked it. It got me all hot and bothered.” Tiffany giggles.

“You have always been into that kind of thing.”

“Stop kinkshaming. You like it too.” The brunette snuggles deeper into Taeyeon’s neck as the latter tightens her hold on her. “I’m really glad you did it, Tae.”

“So am I. You make me really happy.”

“You make me happier.”

“No. You make me happier.”

“No.”

“Yes.”

“I hate you.”

“I love you.”


*******


Ring. Ring. Ring.

“You’re not going to get that?”

Tiffany’s voice is low and sounds more like a request, than an actual question; but Taeyeon thinks that’s just her wishful mind playing tricks on her.

“Yes, of course.”

Soon he comes storming in with yet another bouquet of pink roses and a white teddy bear holding a pink heart – Tiffany must have a collection of those around her house by now, but Taeyeon wouldn’t know for sure; she hasn’t been there ever since he moved in.

“Baby, can you please come home? This is really silly; I was just having some beers with James last night. There was no one else there, I swear.”

Taeyeon knows he’s lying, his words are empty; she saw him.

“Baby, please? I love you.”

Tiffany’s eyes never leave her as if they’re searching for something – a reaction, an answer – anything.

“Get out of my house.”

Taeyeon finally speaks up and that’s all it takes for her friend to run into her arms to never leave again.


*******


“Your mother is tiny, but scary when she wants to be. The way she kicked him out was pretty badass.”

“You’ll never get tired of that story, will you?” Taeyeon asks with a smile.

“Of course not! No one had ever done anything like that for me before. It’s iconic.”

“So, mom went all kung fu on your cheating boyfriend?”

“Pretty much.”

“It’s hard to imagine, though.” Juhyun giggles. “She’s such a couch potato.”

“I know right? I was surprised too.”

“Hey! I can be very athletic at times.”

“Only when you’re running TV show marathons, Tae.” Tiffany and Juhyun high-five, ignoring Taeyeon’s protests. “Oh, don’t worry. I love you just the same, baby.”

“You better.” Taeyeon pouts gesturing for Tiffany to kiss her, which she does in spite of their child’s pleading against it.

“You’re so cheesy, ugh.”

“Oh, don’t think you can run away from our cheesiness, Missy. Come here. You’re getting too feisty for an 11-year-old.” Taeyeon pulls Juhyun to lie between them on the couch and both mothers attack her cheeks with kisses.

“Oh my god! I hate you! Stop that!”

“Never!” Taeyeon states adding tickling to their play. Soon the living room is filled with high pitched giggles and laughter.


*******


Taeyeon knows he’s lying, his words are empty; she saw him.

“Baby, please? I love you.”

Tiffany’s eyes never leave her as if they’re searching for something – a reaction, an answer – anything; but nothing ever comes out of Taeyeon’s mouth. She’s too much of a coward to do anything and simply remains deadpan silent as he pleads for forgiveness over and over again until Tiffany finally gives in – as she will continue to do for years to come.


*******


The TV is on, but no one is really paying any attention to the cartoon show that is currently playing; Taeyeon, in particular, is too focused in taking in that sweet moment – Tiffany’ head resting on her right shoulder while Olivia is asleep on her lap and Liam is snuggling against her left arm.

“Are they both asleep?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

“This is quite a scene, isn't it?” Tiffany asks no one in particular as she absentmindedly strikes Olivia’s hair. “Tae?”

“Hum?”

“For all that is worth, I wish they had been yours.”

Ring. Ring. Ring.

“You’re not going to get that?”

Tiffany’s voice is low and sounds more like a request, than an actual question.

“Don’t I always?”

That is Taeyeon’s cycle: trapped in the snare of her own decisions.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I wrote this in the spare of the moment and I'm not even sure if it makes any sense. I hope it does haha

The things in italic are the future results of Taeyeon's present decisions, if she were ever to make them. Since she never does, they never happen ^^