My Arms Are Your Heartbreak Hotel - P. I

Heartbreak Hotel: A Series of Unfortunate Love Affairs

It started like it always does.
 

“Are you ready?”

“Yes, I just need to grab my bag.”
 

You walked by in that skintight black dress that makes my imagination run wild; cascades of brown falling effortlessly over your shoulder and red lipstick on your lips.
 

“Should we take the car or a cab?”

“A cab. Tonight, we will be in no state for driving.”

You threw me a knowing smile to which I laughed and shook my head – you’ve never known your limits that well; neither did I know my own.

 

“The club is empty, what a boomer.”

“It’s still early, don’t worry about it.”
 

You were scanning your surroundings absentmindedly with the glass trapped between your slender fingers; you didn’t even notice my longing stare – you never seemed to do.
 

“Let’s have lots of fun tonight, yeah? Just the two of us – no boys, no girls:  just you and me.”

“You always say that.”
 

My chuckle was more out of irony, than anything else; I always believed that fake promise of yours, regardless of how many times I ended up with foreign bodies clinging against mine – and none ever satisfying the way I craved yours.
 

“Let’s dance! I love this song!”
 

You didn’t even wait for my answer; you grabbed my hand and pulled me behind you unto the dancefloor. You were moving endearingly with a smirk on your face as you challenged me to follow your lead, and I so gladly did: my hands on your hips and your body pressed against mine; your smell was intoxicating and when you turned to face me – my lips inches away from the smile on yours - everything stopped.

I leaned in forward, but your hand on my chest pushed me slightly away.
 

“I’m not that drunk yet, Tae.”
 

Your giggles against my ear made my heart thump harder – as if that were possible. I pinched my arm so hard, I needed to know I was awake right there and then; but the effects of the alcohol didn’t let me feel much and the way you kept pushing for our bodies to clash didn’t help me come down from that high.
 

“Do you mind if I steal your friend for a little bit?”
 

You disappeared in the middle of the crowd with someone else holding your hand – it wasn’t the first and it wouldn’t be the last. I could only curse myself for believing it would be any different that time.
 

“He’s hot and he wants to take me home. Do you mind?”

“Just be safe and text me his address. Anything, give me a call and I’ll be there.”

“You’re the best!”
 

Your kiss on my cheek before you left was the last I felt of you until you climbed into my bed at the break of dawn. You smelled of cologne that wasn’t yours, your makeup was smudged and your hair was messily tied in a bun.
 

“How did it go? Did you have fun?”

“Lots of it. He’s a sweetheart – he cooked me breakfast and even dropped me off. We’re going on a proper date next Friday.”
 

And Friday came painfully soon; and so did all the other dates you had – a bright glint in your eyes and that kind of smile I could never be the cause of for as hard as I tried.
 

“So? What happened?”

“He finally kissed me for real, Tae! It was so romantic and ugh I don’t even know how to explain it.”
 

Date after date, you came home with a wider smile and illusions of eternity in your chest.
 

“Have you guys made it official yet?”

“No. He said we’re good like this and I agree.”
 

You were just scared he would walk away, so you did what you always do: you complied with his wishes; you forgot your own. It always baffled me how you couldn’t see your own worth; how you’d always settle for half-hearted love.
 

“Have you met his friends, at least?”

“Only his roommate. He said he will introduce them to me one of these days – they are all very busy.”

And when you realize they’re not worth it, it’s already too late – you’re already in too deep, your heart is already set to love and they won’t even give you a second look before breaking it into a million pieces.

 

“Why, Tae? Why do they keep doing this to me? Why am I not enough?”
 

You are. You are more than enough; you’re beyond anything I could have dreamed of – but what I feel doesn’t matter. I’m not the one your heart longs for; my arms are not the ones you wish were wrapped around you.
 

“I truly loved him.”
 

I know and I truly love you.
 

That is the reason why my arms became your heartbreak hotel; the place you come to cry and heal – just to see you check-out in the end and repeat it all over again.

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N: I seem to have a thing for one-sided love and I honestly don't know why. I hope you enjoyed it anyways ~