Chapter 5 : Happy Little Pill (end)

Blue Neighbourhood

I advise you to listen to this song while reading this last chapter to give you the feels lol

 

 

 

 

"Dad!" A child called. The tall man turns his head and smiled, picking up the small child and carry him in his arms as he place a gentle kiss on the boy's forehead.

"What's my happy little pill doing here? You're supposed to be at the kindergarten right now" the man asked worriedly as he looks around the office, forcing an understanding smile to his fellow colleagues. He carries the child outside as his boss concernly asked him to take his time for awhile. Outside the building, he stares at his son's face. From the look in his child's eyes, he could tell that the kid was crying before. Traces of dried tears are still visible on his cheeks. How much the sight hurts his heart can only be understood for those called parent.

The child starts crying and buries his face into the father's shoulder. Muffling screams as he hold tight to his one and only father, burying deeper, to find peace. To feel safe. To feel warmth of a father's love and it hurts him more to think, that was the only thing he had all this time.

"What's wrong, son? Those kids bully you again?"

"Tell me Dad. Where's Mom?" the boy asked between tears.

 

 

The day had come for the man to tell his son the truth. But his child is still too young. Too young to know the word acceptance. His heart is still fragile, like a thin glass ready to break, waiting to fall to the harsh reality of the world. 

 

 

 

"Mom is here. In your heart. Though you never see her, she's still there"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jinhwan opened his eyes. 

'Dad, are you with Mom right now?'

 

He stood up from his bed weakly, staggering as he walks across the room. Picking up his bag full of clothes, ready to end his story, in the Blue Neighbourhood and Koo Junhoe, the love of his life. He step out of the house and enters the forest, in tears he ran, to leave the memories and past behind. He ran further, til the sunsets, til darkness falls, til his legs crashed down, til his face kisses the floor.

Memories of Junhoe flew into his mind, how he met the boy, how he befriends the boy, how he fell for the boy. He misses him so much that it hurts. He smiled to himself as the last tear drops on the cold forest floor. Rain starts falling on him and he can't help but thinking, how cliche his story will be if it ends like this. 

He turn his body to look at the sky. Reaching his hands to the clouds, he closes his eyes and whispered.

 

'Dad, can I follow you?'

 


 

 

5 years passed, Jiwon stood in front of a grave, placing a bouquet of white roses on the rough gravestone. He rubbed his thumb on the name that was carved on the gravestone. A drop of tear fell down his cheek and he quickly wipe it clean.

"Hyung, let's go" Chanwoo called him from the gate of the graveyard. Jiwon stood and left the grave, following his other family members outside the graveyard and before he enters the car, he took one last look at the grave and smiled.

 

 


 

A small child was seen running at the front yard. Trying to catch a white butterfly with his bare hands. Seeing the car, the boy ran towards the car smiling. 

"Uncle Bobby!!!" the boy cried as he ran into Jiwon's arms.

"I'm your father!" He said jokingly.

"No! I dont want you as my father!" the boy pouts.

"Alright, come on. Smile for uncle!" Jiwon rubs his cheeks on the boy's face.

"That tickles! Stop it!" Jiwon stopped when the child starts punching his guts, reminds him of someone.

"Now where's Junhoe?"

"He doesnt want to play with me so he's watching TV"

 

Jiwon cradles the boy in his arms as he walks towards the front door. When he opened the door, another child is standing behind it.

"Daddy!!!" the boy screamed delightfully as he hugs Jiwon's right leg.

"Hey Junhoe, why didn't you play with Jinhwan outside?" Jiwon ask the other boy as he lift him with his other arm, cradle him next to Jinhwan.

"The sun is eating my skin" the black-haired boy said earning a laugh from Jiwon and an annoyed look from Jinhwan.

"We all know that the sun can't eat your skin, dummy!" 

"Daddy~ Jinhwan called me dummy" the boy pouts.

 

"Okay enough you two. Bring your father to the table. Lunch is ready" Hanbin said as he arranges the plate on the table.

 

Jiwon carries both of his sons towards the dining table and sat them down on their respective seats. A sudden thought came to his mind about how funny to marry his own brother. To be precise, Jiwon was never a part of the Koo's family. So practically, Hanbin was never his brother by blood. Jiwon was adopted into the Koo family when he was still a few months old. The reason he was adopted was never known. He didn't even have the chance to ask.

Mr Koo died and it was believed he was murdered by Mr Kim who died stabbing himself after that. Jiwon believed that his father died the day Junhoe starts locking himself in his room. When Junhoe learned the news, he disappeared that night from the hospital, leaving a message that he's sorry. He was never found again. That goes the same for Jinhwan.

Mrs Koo couldn't accept both of the losses and she depressed herself to death. Before she draw her last breath, she wrote a letter for each of her sons, leaving them shocked in disbelief. Even in those chaos, Jiwon tried his best to stay calm. In just a blink of an eye, he lost three of his family members and he doesn't want to lose his other siblings. He makes sure that even though his siblings are crying their eyes out, knowing their losses and knowing that they were not even family to begin with, he forces himself to hold the tears back and make sure that his adopted siblings are safe.

A few years after he finishes high school and getting a job, he proposes to Hanbin and bought a new house near to his parents' house. His other siblings, Yunhyeong, Donghyuk and Chanwoo lived there while Jiwon and Hanbin stayed. Later, the couple adopted two children, naming them Jinhwan and Junhoe respectively. The funny thing is how identical the two kids are with the past couple. The colour of their hair, the look in their eyes and the smile on their faces, makes Jiwon missing his brother and his friend so much.Sometimes he wonders, are both of them still alive... or not?

 

 

 

*knock knock*

 

"I'll get it!" Jinhwan says as he runs to the door, leaving the family at the dining table 

"I wonder who's that" Hanbin said, placing his spoon on the table as he stood up.

 

 

 

"Uncle Bobby! It's Uncle Lee! He said he... umm... found Junhoe and me?"

Jiwon and Hanbin locked eyes, uncertain what to react as adrenaline rush through their veins, increasing their heartbeat, hoping for news that will soothe their worries.

 


 

*Flashback*

 

Junhoe ran into the forest in his hospital gown, bare feet through the rainy night. His feet kept running to God knows where but there's one thing in his heart says, find Jinhwan. He ran aimlessly, unsure where to go, but his heart kept on telling him to find him, the love of his life. Cuts and bruises formed at the bottom of his feet and ankle as he kept stumbling and fall. But he kept on because somehow, he knows where Jinhwan is if he kept moving and it's true. 

Jinhwan was there. On the muddy ground floor. Lifelessly lying there, waiting for his last rythm of heartbeat.

"Hyung!" Junhoe ran to his side, as he wipes the dirt on Jinhwan's face. The small boy open his eyes.

"Junhoe... is that you?" Jinhwan lift his hand limply for Junhoe's face and the tall boy quickly held it and help him touch his cheeks.

"You're still warm as ever" Jinhwan whispers. "Tell me where are we?" He smiled weakly.

 

Junhoe looked around and to his suprise, they were by the waterfall, their waterfall. Though the water flows vigorously than ever, the sight was still beautiful and without realising, his tears flows down like the streams during rain.

"Don't cry" Jinhwan said calmly but Junhoe cried even more and hugged Jinhwan tightly. He swore to himself to never ever let him go again.

 

 

 

And he knew, he'll die soon and so does him.

 

 


 

Hanbin hugs Jiwon as he took the sight upon him. They're in a cave behind the waterfall which he and the other siblings never know of. A secret place where only Junhoe and Jinhwan knows and now, here they are, waiting to be buried in a proper graveyard.

 

 

 

 

But the sight that made Hanbin cried, is how the pile of bones looked like they are hugging each other.

 

 

 

 

END

 


AN: What a feels trip! And I know it's a bit too fast and too short. Tbh, I could add something up but I'll let youur mind work for awhile. Take that feels to your heart. Imagine things that you want. It's almost 4 am here so I was typing fast and I'm too lazy to reread. I'll edit the whole series when I had time.

 

Thank you for those who had been reading this story til the end. If there are still questions in your head, please ask at the comment section. It was supposed to be 3 chapters but it turn out to be 5 hahaha I'll combine chapter 3 later. 

 

I'll be having my finals in a few weeks time. When I finish, I'll continue Black Umbrella. Thank you for reading and have a good day :D