Chapter 1 : Wild

Blue Neighbourhood

"Hyung! Come on!" the black hair boy screamed as he cycles through the street. It was Saturday, and Saturday means no school, and no school means, spending the whole day with his best friend, Kim Jinhwan.

"I'm coming! Slow down, June!" the small boy screams back at the younger whos like 10 metres in front of him. It was not his fault for being born with short legs and the bike he's using is quite small compared to Junhoe's.

"Geesh, hyung. You're so slow" he said, slowing down his bike for the small boy to catch up. Sometimes he wonders, if Jinhwan was really older than him but if he's younger, he wont be able to call the latter 'hyung' , which sounds cute.

The boys continued to ride their bicycles through the neighbourhood, heading to a certain destination. They compliment the scenery that greets their view. Tall shady trees and clear blue skies. Bright coloured flowers and brown dried grass. Clear blue sea and pure white sand. Their neighbourhood would probably be the most beautiful place surrounded by mother nature and thats what they want to believe.

Upon arriving at their destination, they quickly parked their bikes or rather throw them on the ground before stripping themselves, half-, before jumping into the cold water. 

"It's freezing!" Cried the 10 year old boy. His black bangs covered his eyes and then he felt a hand brushing the hair away.

"You're 10 years old, June-ah. A bit of cold water wont let you down" even though the twelve year old said that, it was obvious that he was shivering.

"But you're giggling" Jinhwan chuckled at the comment.

"I'm not giggling, I'm shivering, you idiot" he said, laying a soft punch on Junhoe's head.

They played in the water before deciding to swim near the waterfall and Jinhwan was a born swimmer. Jinhwan had already showering under the vast streams of water while watching the younger struggling in the water.

Junhoe find it useless to continue swimming because he knew he lost, even though it was not a race but still he lost. So he decides to just walk towards the waterfall, taking gentle steps on the slippery stones in the knee-level water.

"June-ah, you're so slow!"

It was supposed to be an attempt to glare at his best friend but the view in front of him was too... beautiful. His heart starts to beat in a different rhythm and he didn't realised that he had stopped his tracks.

Time felt slow as he continues to stare at the brown-haired boy underneath the waterfall. He always knew that his best friend is pretty but he never knew that he was beautiful. The sound of Jinhwan's laughter with jokes that he couldn't hear. Yes, he's currently deaf. The only thing he could hear is his own heartbeat accompanied by a high-pitched chuckle.

He doesn't know that feeling. He was too young. He couldn't understand why is his heart beating so fast. So he considered one thing, you'll feel that way when you're with your best friend.

"Yah, June-ah. Is there something on my face? Quit staring at me! You're giving me goosebumps! Are you even listening!?" That surely brought him back to reality.

"Wha-what?"

"Geesh, you're always be dumb. If its not, dumb and dumber"

"Then I'll be dumb and you'll be dumber!"

"Wha- come here you bastard!"

They continued to play, splashing each other with water and feeling the love they felt for each other as the best of friends and this is where, their friendship starts to change slowly into something they wanted more than anything.

 

 

It was the next day, the Kim's and Koo's decides to have a small barbeque party by the beach. The pearl white sand and the sky full of clouds with an addition of the calm sea breeze, it was the best day and the best place to have a small gathering. 

The Koo's arrived first due to their job to burn the coal and it will always be them. Let's just say, Jinhwan had a really small family with only his father around. Well, of course theres another reason but due to respect, they dont want to mention it.

While waiting for the other famiy to arrive, Junhoe played with his inidentical twin, Donghyuk and he's younger brother Chanwoo, by the beach. Building sandcastles and collecting seashells on the seashore. Meanwhile, his three older brothers, Yunhyeong, Jiwon and Hanbin are helping his parents preparing the barbeque.

30 minutes later, Jinhwan and his father finally arrived and that makes Junhoe jumped and stomped on the sandcastle he and Chanwoo been working on, earning a death glare from the younger and of course he ignore it. Jinhwan existence had always been the reason how he knew to smile.

 Both of them ended ignoring the people around them and decides to take a stroll into the woods. As kids, of course they were hoping to find something unusual or mystical, so they began their adventure.

Even though they had been into the forest so many times to a point that they can recall the tree marks, they still believed that there are some part of the jungle they missed and where they believed the fairytale creatures are hiding.

"Hyung! Look at this!" Junhoe screamed besides Jinhwan's ear making the boy cringed. He took a look at what Junhoe was holding and he finds nothing extraordinary so, he just continued to look at the forest trails, trying to find a different path.

"Hyung, dont you get it?"

"What is it?"

"It's a unicorn's horn!" Jinhwan furrowed his eyebrows, shifting his gaze from the so called 'unicorn's horn' and Junhoe's overly excited plus proud face. This kid is not joking and too bad he's an idiot.

"That's a white tree branch" 

Junhoe's smiles disappeared almost instantly. He stares at the branch in his hand for awhile before throwing rather hard on the ground.

"Stupid tree branch"

Jinhwan could only laugh at Junhoe's behaviour, sulking and stepping on every white stick he sees on the ground. Inable to trust his own mind.

"Yah, stop it. We should go back. I can smell the chicken being cooked" 

The mention of chicken instantly changes Junhoe's mood. He smiled from ear to ear, showing off his gums. He pulled Jinhwan who also joins the happy emotion, laughing rather historically on their way back to the beach.

Well, those smiles are only for a moment. It quickly fades when they hear the loud commotion coming from the beach. When they arrived, everything screams chaos because the chicken is on the ground, covered by white sand. Yes, that is chaos for them.

Jinhwan knew what the problem is when he saw the number of beer cans on the ground near his father who looks fume with anger. And Jinhwan had his own equation of catastrophe. 

 

Dad + Beer = Madness

 

Junhoe was stunned, scared when he saw the quick death glare from Mr Kim. He quickly ran towards his mother who looked as stun as him. His father is straining Jiwon who's head smoking and face red. Jiwon is a hot head, he knew that but picking a fight with Jinhwan's father is probably not a good idea as he at least twice the size of Jiwon. Hanbin is being the third person, standing in between them, trying to cool things down with no success. 

Mr Kim is obviously drunk, making sarcastic remarks about Jiwon's hair and he even rudely joked about the other family and that is offensive. Jiwon could still control his anger with his father whispering comforting words in his ear but that doesn't last long.

"Being a daddy's dog aint ya? Come on here you and fight like a real-"

He didn't realised when Jiwon was freed when a hard punch lands on his face making him fall on the ground. But it wasn't Jiwon who punched him. 

Standing in front of him was his own son, glaring straight in his eyes. Of course he was taken aback. Who would've thought that cute small boy that looks so fragile, had this dark side?

"We're leaving" he said before turning facing the Koo's giving them an apologetic smile. He then, pulls his father back to the road, heading home.

The Koo's was clearly shocked of what they had witnessed and Junhoe couldn't even believe his eyes. Was that really Jinhwan? The Kim Jinhwan who looks so squishy like all the time? But even so, Junhoe is not scared. Instead, the feelings from yesterday grew stronger.