23 - FRESH AIR

The Ghost from the Vodka Bottle
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

It seemed like the clock ticked endlessly while she remained looking over the window that wasn't far from her bed. There were still a few wires attached to her but they have gradually decreased as the days passed on. The doctor said that they would be conducting tests on her in a few days but she had no idea what kind of tests were they. She sighed. Bom and the doctor were still trying to hide her from the truth even though she already knew it. She knew that she was going to end up crippled someday but someone kept telling her she won't. Somehow his incessant counter-attacks had gotten to her but she still can't get rid of the fact that she was stuck here on the hospital bed, alone and unhappy. 

 

Her fingers unconsciously traced her hair and stretched it out. She thought to herself that she really needed a haircut. The long strand of hair dropped down when her fingers reached the end. But she can't help but think that she'll look different when it becomes short. Change was something she still wasn't familiar with.

 

It was sunny out and the bright rays were seeping in from the reflective glass. She missed out on so much. Back then she felt like a a day was long. She practically missed a millennium by missing two whole years of her life. Oddly enough, she no longer had any lingering feelings towards her father. He was just a speck of dirt that needed to be swept away now. He was all in the past and yet the things he made her do... the person he made her become still stayed. She can't find anymore feelings of hatred or sadness towards him in her heart. She felt like her dreams helped her with that. She'd never felt so free and so happy in her life. A mirthless chuckle suddenly escaped her lips. It was still only just a dream. A dream that had...

 

The door slowly creaked open. Dara had the urge to crane her neck to see who it was since a part of the room was blocking the entranceway. She heard the footsteps nearing and she could just pray to god that her heart monitor wasn't giving anything away. 

 

"Wanna eat?" 

 

And there he was, Kwon Jiyong holding up a plastic full of food containers. She saw him mess his hair a bit before setting the food on the overbed table and rolling it towards her. Jiyong started carefully taking out each container while humming to himself while Dara quietly observed every move he made with a ghost of a smile. 

 

Kwon Jiyong had been religiously visiting her everyday. It has been about two weeks since they had that whole argument but it seemed like Jiyong was acting like it never happened. He was acting like his old foolish self and it made her feel relieved. She never liked confrontation and it shocked her that she was the one who confronted him first that day. 

 

It's been two weeks and Jiyong's stays were getting shorter... actually, they were getting unpredictable. Seunghyun tells her that Jiyong missed so much since he didn't go to school for a week since she woke up. He also told her that he had a job so she felt like she was responsible for his life getting dragged behind. Whenever she tells him about this, he would always tell her with a straight face... 

 

"I'm here because my whole life is you."

 

She could just scowl at him and never did she imagine that she was capable of making a face. There were really a lot of things she missed. She felt like a kid looking over the big and scary world in front of her. She didn't know what to do, how to act, or what to say. She felt like a robot toy that's just waiting for someone to turn her crank so that she could move. 

 

Dara snapped out of her daze when a finger brushed her cheek. He was looking at her, wondering what was going on in that pretty little head of hers. Everything was already laid out in front of her and he was about to coax her to eat again when he saw the distant look in her eyes. He was worried for the first few days about her slipping away from him but he already secured it in his mind that the girl she loves was still there. 

 

And he was still here and waiting to see her break out into that stupid smile of hers.

 

"Tell me what's in your mind, Dara-yah. We can either do this the easy was or the hard way." he said nonchalantly while taking a bite of some food. 

 

"W-what's the difference?"

 

Jiyong slightly smirked hearing her stutter. He shifted his body to face her as he looked at her with a warm smile. The sight made her uncomfortable but her mind didn't want to back down without a fight. She observed him with his narrowed eyes, mentally preparing herself for what's about to come.

 

"The easy way is you tell me what's going on with you."

 

With one swift move, she realized that Jiyong's face was dangerously close to hers. She could even feel his warm breath sending strange tingles in her body and she shied away from him, much to his amusement. The beeps from her heart monitor were going haywire and she couldn't for the life of her understand why he was making her feel so conscious. He kept closing in on her and his hot breath would tickle her every time. He eventually trapped her in between his arms and moved in to her blushing ears. 

 

"The hard way is going to be..." he smirked, hearing her raging heartbeat. "Very hard." 

 

"GET YOUR AWAY FROM THAT GIRL, KWON JIYONG!!"

 

Dami immediately dragged his brother away from Dara by roughly pulling on his hair. She then started smacking his mouth as if he was a child that said a bad word, making him struggle against her. Her husband on the other hand just coolly passed through the quarreling siblings and putting down a 'get well' basket on her bedside table. Dara gave him an awkward smile and then her eyes unconsciously directed to the other neglected 'get well' baskets that were just right behind him. Man, they must really want her to get well. 

 

"Do you remember me, Sandara-ssi?" Jay gave her a tight smile. Dami has been endlessly telling him that his 'lack of emotion' was making Dara uncomfortable and she forced her husband to have some 'smiling lessons' with her. 

 

You can really tell that he failed. Miserably. 

 

"I uhhh... Am I supposed to?" she asked genuinely, tilting her head. 

 

Oooh ouch. Way to hurt his ego. The uncomfortable smile had completely left his face and was replaced with his normal expressionless one. And to his amusement, Dara flashed him a cheeky and victorious smile and he couldn't help the slight tug at the corner of his lips. 

 

"You're husband is flirting with my girlfriend, noona." 

 

"CHOI JAEBEOM!!!!"

 

Dara saw Jiyong's sister drag the weird doctor by the ear as Jiyong went up to her with a pouty look on his face. 

 

"I saw you smile at him. You're cheating on me." 

 

What in the hell? Was it wrong to smile at people nowadays? Dara's lips unconsciously formed into a sneer while the baby continued on with his act by crossing his arms and huffing. She let out an exasperated breath. She was wrong. Jiyong was no enigma, he was one of those unexplainable phenomena like those sailing stones that move for no apparent reason. Kwon Jiyong was a wonder. What was he doing now? 

 

Jiyong pouted even more and never in his life that he thought he was going to be doing this type of . He saw Dara shook her head and finally give up by giggling to herself. But Dara never failed to get him out of his comfort zone and make him do risks that ended up being worth it. He heard the laugh he missed so much again and it brought a calmness in his heart. As she was busy trying to regain her composure, Jiyong suddenly put a spoonful of food in much to her annoyance. 

 

Dami gave her husband a final light slap on the cheek before looking at the somewhat estranged couple and scowling. "Stop treating Dara like a baby. How is she ever gonna start functioning with you always doing her stuff for her?" 

 

"That's the point. I'm doing everything so that she always needs me by her side." he replied absentmindedly as he unconsciously opened his mouth while spoon-feeding her. Meanwhile, Dara was left dumbstruck on her spot. She didn't know how she would react to what he said. How would you react if a border-line stalker that tells you he's your boyfriend says that type of ? 

 

"Jiyong sure whipped himself hard." Dami muttered.

 

Jay could only nod and observe quietly from the sidelines. He looked over at Dara who looked like he was trying to figure Jiyong out and he knew all too well that she was never going to. She would incessantly decline his help of wanting to talk about her past so that she could let go, saying that she already had let them go. But seeing how she was still so rigid and wary towards people tells him that the past was still there haunting the back of her mind. Surprisingly, Jiyong just told him to let her be. He said that they'll work it out on their own and that he'll get her to be more vocal about herself since they knew that she was clearly holding herself back from... something. 

 

Dara suddenly tugged on Jiyong's sleeve, catching him by surprise and making him smile. "Why are they here, Kwon Jiyong...?" she whispered, cupping so that the couple wouldn't hear. 

 

Jiyong just nodded and turned her head to them. "YAH!" he shouted. "Dara doesn't want you here. Get the out." 

 

The girl beside him widened her eyes and shook her head vehemently at the couple who raised their brows at her. Jiyong watched her with mischievous eyes as she gripped his ar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter