Turn Back the Clock (Kyungsoo)

Call Me Boo

The italics in the Monday section are referencing back to Sunday.

For the sake of this story can we please pretend Suho isn't a smol person and disregard the fact that Luhan is taller than him? Please and thank you :D


 

 

 

 

Sunday

A year of his life was wasted waiting. The worst part was that he actually believed in the sliver of hope that all that waiting wouldn't be for nothing. Boyfriend. That's what Junmyeon called him, but treated him like anything but. He rarely stayed the night. They never went out. And Kyungsoo had been so blinded thus far that he never questioned why.

Until he did.

He suspected a lot of things. He suspected that he didn't mean as much to Junmyeon as Junmyeon meant to him. He suspected that perhaps there were others that Junmyeon treated the same way, but he felt special enough in Junmyeon's presence that he didn't really care. All because he was stupid enough to hope.

But this changed things. This threw hope out the window. There was no way Kyungsoo could get past this. A wife? A kid? And yet he was ing around with Kyungsoo.

He hadn't minded when the only thing that could have gotten them into trouble was the fact that Junmyeon was a professor and he was a student. Kyungsoo was a music student, Junmyeon was criminology professor, it wasn't that bad. There was no conflict of interest. Kyungsoo guessed that's why Junmyeon chose him to mess with, and it had been truthfully exciting. But now there was only guilt. It wasn't even his fault, but he was shouldering all of the guilt Junmyeon should have been feeling. It wasn't fair.

It wasn't fair to his family, and it wasn't fair to Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo knew what he needed to do.

But when Junmyeon showed up later with lunch, he couldn't do it. Because there it was again. That hope. He had to extinguish it.

“Let's go out for lunch.”

Junmyeon laughed at him. “What for? I got us lunch right here.”

“It's a Sunday. People go out on the weekends.”

“We don't.”

“Why don't we?”

“Isn't our one year anniversary coming up?”

That's right. One year. Junmyeon had kept this up for almost a year and Kyungsoo couldn't figure out how.

“Do you even consider us as a couple? How can we celebrate a year of us being a couple if we never do anything couples do?”

“We don't have to be a normal couple.”

“What if I'd rather be with someone that does want to be a normal couple? Someone that doesn't only talk to me behind closed doors. Did you think I would never question that?”

Junmyeon had his back facing Kyungsoo. He stopped what he was doing—taking the take out boxes out of the paper bags he’d brought with him—and sighed. “Just shut up and sit down Kyungsoo. We’re not going out, and you're not going to question anything.”

Kyungsoo listens to him, feeling like a failure. He should have broken it off before Junmyeon had a chance to step inside the apartment. Instead he selfishly complained. Looking at him now, Kyungsoo didn't know how he got himself stuck like this. Why had he ever agreed to start seeing Junmyeon in the first place?

“Did you go next door today?”

Kyungsoo looked up from his food. “What?”

“You went next door, didn’t you?”

“For a while,” Kyungsoo replied, not knowing where Junmyeon was going with this. “In the morning.”

“What for?”

“To talk. With my friend.”

“Well, don’t. I don’t like him.”

Kyungsoo frowned down at his plate. His next door neighbour was the opposite of a threat in every way. Why doesn’t Junmyeon like him?

He felt a hand on his chin force his gaze back up.

“Did you hear what I just said?”

Kyungsoo nodded.

“Good.” Junmyeon kept the hold on his chin as he brought their faces together, biting down harshly onto Kyungsoo’s bottom lip in a rough kiss. Kyungsoo pulled back in surprise, wincing as he touched his lip and then looked down at the blood staining his fingertip. “I hope I won’t have to repeat it.”

Kyungsoo stared at him in disbelief, wondering if Junmyeon knew what he knew and if that was the reason he was acting like this. Or if Kyungsoo was only noticing what he was noticing now, because of what he knew.

Monday

The next day, Kyungsoo loitered outside his apartment with confidence, but as the minutes past, the confidence depleted, being replaced with dread.

Minseok and Jongdae had asked him what he was doing, why he was pacing the way he was out in the hallway, but he waved away their confused looks with transparent excuses. They reluctantly left him there. He caught them looking back at him, but he didn’t want to burden them with his issues—not until he had sorted things out. He swore under his breath and sat down with his back against his door. The pacing had been doing nothing to calm his anxiety.

Luhan also arrived before Junmyeon, but didn’t speak to Kyungsoo, only sparing him a glance before entering into the apartment right beside him. Kyungsoo didn’t blame him, after the conversation they had had the morning before, he wouldn’t want to talk to himself either. He was still wondering how Junmyeon had known that he had gone to talk to Luhan. But everything was dispelled from his mind when he heard the elevator doors opening for the third time since he’d been out in the hallway.

He stood as Junmyeon approached him, a soft smile on his angelic face.

“Please, no,” he whispered harshly as Junmyeon greeted him and leant down to give him a kiss. He took a large step back and held out his arm, palm out, keeping Junmyeon away from him. “Just stay there.”

The smile dropped and Junmyeon raised a brow at him. “Don’t be difficult, Kyungsoo. What do you think you’re doing?”

“I don’t know. I- I think… I think I’m breaking up with you.”

“You think?” Junmyeon scoffed at him. “When did that start happening?”

“Don’t talk to me like that! I can’t do this anymore. You have no right to treat me like this, or anyone.”

“Cut the bull and tell me what’s going on. I’m not in the mood to be patient.”

“I know, Junmyeon. Everything.”

A dark look settled on Junmyeon’s features. “I highly doubt that.”

“You’ve always doubted me, but I—”

He was cut off as Junmyeon grabbed his arm. Pushing the door open, he pulled Kyungsoo inside and shut it loudly. Kyungsoo found himself pressed against the door, the handle digging into the small of his back painfully.

“You don’t know anything.”

Kyungsoo used every ounce of strength in him to push Junmyeon off him. “I know about your wife, your daughter.”

Junmyeon didn’t reply, so he went on.

“I can guess why you can’t put my feelings into consideration—I’m probably nothing to you—but what about them? They’re your family!”

Junmyeons face suddenly softened, taking on it’s usual angelic presence. “You’re not nothing, Kyungsoo. You’re my everything. Why else do you think I’d keep this up for so long?”

“Because you’re sick,” Kyungsoo replied quietly.

“No,” Junmyeon tried to reach for him but he sent a threatening look that made the older man back off, just a bit. “It’s because I care about you more than anyone else. They don’t mean anything to me Kyungsoo.”

“How can you say that?!” He hissed. “I want you out.”

Junmyeon looked like his eyes were welling up with tears, but Kyungsoo knew they couldn’t possibly be real. “I’ll die without you.”

“I don’t care!” Kyungsoo yelled. “Get your out. I want it all gone tomorrow or I’ll throw it off the ing balcony.”

Junmyeon seemed to accept his fate, his head hanging low. Kyungsoo moved out of the way, taking a deep breath when the door finally closed behind the biggest mistake of his life.

----

Kyungsoo was hesitant in knocking, but he had to patch things up.

----

It had been early morning when he had set out, wanting to know if what he had been suspecting was true. He took a cab to the neighbourhood he had followed Junmyeon to on Saturday, the night prior, and waited near a small, empty, children's playground. Soon enough, a familiar face came out of the house across the street. He waited until Junmyeon got in his car and drove away before he made his way to the house on shaky legs.

A young woman answered the door when he rang the bell, looking like it hadn’t been very long since she had woken up. She wrapped her robe tighter around her as she regarded him with a confused expression.

“Can I help you?”

“Yes, um, is Jun— I mean, Professor Kim, here?” He asked, hoping she wouldn’t see through him.

“He just left. You are?”

“One of his students. Sorry to bother you, you must be his…”

“Wife,” she smiled at him. His heart sunk into his stomach.

Before he could reply, a small girl with pigtails bound into his view and tugged on the woman's robe.

“Mommy I can’t find my shoes,” she said quietly.

“They should be in the closet by the staircase, honey,” Junmyeons wife turned away from him to look down at her daughter.

He couldn’t be there anymore. He turned around and walked away as fast as he could, tears not yet threatening to spill. He didn’t know why he was in shock. This was exactly what he had been expecting. Still, he had hung on to that hope…

And what a stupid thing to do that was.

He had gone straight to Luhan afterwards. It was still fairly early in the morning, but he knew Luhan would be awake.

They had known each other for almost four years now, going to the same university and being in the same program. Junmyeon only knew him as Kyungsoo’s classmate and neighbour. They had grown incredibly distant once Kyungsoo had started seeing Junmyeon, because Luhan didn’t like the professor at all. They fought about it often, only getting along when neither of them breached the subject. Now Kyungsoo didn’t know what he would say to him, or if he should even say anything at all.

He was let in the minute Luhan caught sight of his wrecked expression. He didn’t ask Kyungsoo what was wrong right away, instead just letting Kyungsoo talk to him.

After the third time that Kyungsoo repeated his question about anything new in Luhan's life, it seemed his neighbour, his friend, had had enough.

“You know you can talk to me about anything right?”

Kyungsoo nodded. “But there’s nothing to talk about.”

Luhan shook his head. “Sure there isn’t. It has to do with that boyfriend of yours doesn’t it. I told you this when he approached you that first time, Kyungsoo. He’s trouble. You should have stayed away.”

Anger surged inside Kyungsoo. It wasn’t at Luhan, it was at Junmyeon, for doing this to him, and at himself, for being so stupid. But it ended up directed at Luhan anyways. There was no one else around for him to pin the blame to as it came bursting out of him.

“What do you know? Huh? You never had anything against him until he started flirting with me instead of you. Stop pretending you know everything about us. You’re just jealous so mind your own business.”

Luhans mouth hung open as he stared back at Kyungsoo. “Kyungsoo, you do realize that you knocked on my door this morning, right? Not the other way around.”

“I didn’t come here for relationship advice from someone who’s seen with a different guy every week.”

Luhans eyebrows knitted together at that comment. “Don’t talk about my business after telling me to stay out of yours. You know I’ve only ever tried to look out for you.”

“By antagonizing my boyfriend every chance you had?”

Luhan scoffed. “Is that why you never properly introduced us? Because you knew I’d call him out on his bull?”

“Shut up!” It wasn’t fair for him to treat Luhan like this, especially since his friend had been so right, and he had been so wrong to continually dismiss him.

“You don’t have to sit here and listen to me! No one is stopping you from leaving!”

No one was, and even though leaving was the last thing he wanted to do, he got up and did just that. A last effort to save his pride. What was left of it anyways.

----

So he found himself standing in front of Luhan's apartment about an hour after Junmyeon left. He had taken that time to calm himself down and plan what he would say. Luhan wasn’t the ‘I told you so’ type, but Kyungsoo wasn’t all that great at apologies. He needed to keep in mind that he was in the wrong.

But when Luhan opened the door, he couldn’t say anything at first. Luhan remained quiet too, which was a clear indication that he was pissed about what had happened Sunday morning. Kyungsoo hung his head and shut his eyes for a few seconds. Tears slipped through his lashes as his mind went blank. He didn’t know where to start.

He started blurting out everything he could think of. He hoped what he was saying was making sense, he only sounded like a blubbering mess to himself. He thinks he mentions what he had discovered the day before, he hopes he apologizes for all of his wrongdoings towards Luhan. He doesn’t notice when Luhan pulls him inside and holds him till his shoulders stop shaking and he’s only slightly sniffing into Luhan's shoulder.

“I know, Kyungsoo, I know.”

“You do…?” Kyungsoo asked quietly.

“I heard everything earlier, through the walls. I’m sorry.”

Kyungsoo only cuddled his head firmly into Luhan's chest instead of replying.

“I wish you’d never met him.”

Kyungsoo looked up at Luhan. His eyes were closed and his jaw was tense.

“I wish you’d never gone out with him. I wish you’d never believed anything he said.”

I wish I’d believed you. Kyungsoo wanted to say it out loud. But Luhan kept going.

“I wish you weren’t so stupid sometimes. I wish you’d just stayed. With me.”

“Luhan…”

“I would never have hurt you like this. I wouldn’t dream of it, even now.”

Kyungsoo reached up as far as he could in Luhans tight hold to finally give Luhan what Kyungsoo didn’t realize was what his friend had been waiting for all this time.

It was sloppy, their tears mixing with the saliva shared between them didn’t exactly make it appealing, but there was so much relief in the breaths they heaved into each others bodies. Luhan pulled away and pressed his forehead to Kyungsoo’s.

“You were right,” he sighed.

Kyungsoo frowned. “Don’t mock me. Especially knowing I was wrong. About everything.”

“Fine, you were half right. About what you said yesterday. I was jealous. But not of you. Not because he chose you instead of me or any like that.”

“What are you trying to say?”

“I was jealous of him, because I spent three years trying to win your affections, and it took him only a week to get you into bed.”

Kyungsoo pulled out of his grasp.

“I- I’m sorry. Kyungsoo, I didn’t mean it like that.”

“You think I’m that easy?”

“Obviously not. I did just say ‘three years’ didn’t I?”

“Well, then you’re wrong.” He caught Luhan by the shirt and pulled him in for another kiss, this one less sloppy, less salty than the first. He pulled away and brought his mouth close to Luhan's ear. “I am that easy. It was your own fault for not being more straightforward.”

Luhan tugged his head back harshly to reattach their lips. He wouldn’t be pulling away anytime soon.

----

Hours later, with Luhan sound asleep, pressing Kyungsoo between the wall and his body, a blanket wrapped around them tightly, is when Kyungsoo starts to panic.

 

Tuesday

He manages to leave when Luhan rolls over and he can detangle himself from the blanket. He gets dressed quickly trying not to think about what he's just done. Sleeping with his friend only an hour after he breaks up with Junmyeon is probably not one of his best decisions, and it's worse because he can't tell if he actually wanted to or if he was just too overcome with emotions and wanted a distraction.

And thankfully he has one, in the form of his two friends. Junmyeon comes over to collect his stuff but Kyungsoo slips out before then and makes his way over to Minseok and Jongdae’s place. Minseok had just started medical school, so he wasn’t around, but Jongdae seemed to have some time to kill before he had to go to his own classes—reminding Kyungsoo that he should have been in his own classes.

“Has anyone ever told you that you’re kind of an idiot.” Jongdae told him after he relayed some parts of his stressful last few days, leaving out the specifics of the wife and kid, just mentioning that he ended up sleeping with Luhan only a few hours after breaking up with Junmyeon who had been seeing him while seeing someone else.

“I repeat it to myself every morning.”

“Well you are.” Jongdae playfully smacked him on the side of the head. “Do you even like Luhan like that?”

“I- I think so. Maybe.”

“Okay, then you’re an even bigger idiot. If you do like him then where’s the ing issue?”

“The issue is that I’m a person. And I don’t want Luhan to end up just being a rebound because what if what I’m feeling is only there because of the break up? What am I going to do when I recover and I don’t actually like Luhan the way he wants me to? I’ll just have screwed over someone I’ve known and trusted for four years.”

“Well you two already ed so really… you’re kinda in a messed up situation either way. So what now? Are you going to break his heart right now and never find out what he might mean to you? Or are you going to go through with this and only maybe break his heart in the end because youmight genuinely like him?”

Kyungsoo wasn’t sure, but he was very afraid of what might happen if what he was feeling was just due to the pain of the breakup, so to him only the first option worked, even though it was obvious Jongdae thought the second option was a better idea.

“Honestly, Kyungsoo, take my advice. He’ll never treat you like you say Junmyeon treats you.”

He didn’t know if the anxiety coiling in his stomach would let him.

----

When he got back to his apartment, Junmyeon hadn’t yet left. He seemed to be waiting for Kyungsoo to return, but he had for sure been busy packing up his things. All his belongings were ready by the door.

“Reconsider what you’re doing Kyungsoo,” he said, his voice holding an obvious threatening tone.

“I don’t have to. I’m done with you.”

Before Junmyeon could reply, there was a knock on the door. Kyungsoo reached it before Junmyeon could even think about moving, anticipating who it might be immediately.

And he was right. Luhan stood in the doorway, looking unsure of himself. Kyungsoo quickly stepped outside and closed the door behind him before Luhan could see who was inside and before Junmyeon could see who was outside.

“Kyungsoo…”

“He's in there right now,” Kyungsoo said. Seeing Luhan purse his lips, he quickly elaborated. “He's just getting his things. He’ll leave after that.”

Luhan nodded. “You left pretty early this morning. I thought you might have just needed to get to the campus early but you weren't in any of your classes today.”

“I-I’m sorry.”

“It's okay! I get that you're going through a lot, I just want to make sure you're okay.”

“No, Luhan, it's not that. I really am I sorry. I can't—”

The door opened behind him and Junmyeon stepped out with his bags. The look on his face was anything but friendly. He didn't say a word as he walked past the pair in the hallway, bumping Luhan's shoulder roughly.

“Keys,” Kyungsoo called after him. Junmyeon stopped, but didn't turn around.

“What?”

“I-I want my spare keys back.” Kyungsoo hated when he stuttered. Junmyeon turned around swiftly.

“So you can give them to him?” Junmyeon's accusing glare landed on the back of Luhan's head.

Luhan faced Junmyeon. “Whether he gives them to anyone else or not isn't your problem. They're his keys, it's his apartment. So give them back.”

Junmyeon threw the bags to the floor and walked over to Luhan, getting right into his face. Luhan didn't step back or show any sign of intimidation.

“Listen here you little runt—

“Junmyeon just give me the keys,” Kyungsoo said, exasperation flooding into his voice.

Junmyeon glanced at him briefly before his eyes were challenging Luhan again. Still, he rummaged through his pocket before pulling out a key on a generic key chain and dropped it on the ground. He picked up his bags again and was gone, taking the stairs.

Kyungsoo let out a sigh of relief, but knew he couldn't relax yet. He still had to confront Luhan. Luhan picked up the keys for him and turned back to face him. He reached for Kyungsoo's hand, and gently pried apart the tight fist his fingers were rolled into before pressing the key into his palm and folding his fingers back over them. Kyungsoo mumbled out a soft ‘thank you’.

“Is he gone for good?”

“I hope so,” Kyungsoo muttered quietly. Then he raised his voice to more normal volume. “Luhan… we can't do this.”

“Do what?”

“I don't think—” He took a deep breath. “Anything. We can't do anything.”

Luhan frowned. “What are you talking about?”

“After this— after him, I don’t think I can see anyone right now.”

His face fell in understanding. “Kyungsoo if you’re afraid I’m going to hurt you like he did… please tell me you don’t think I would actually do that.”

‘I don’t! I’m not afraid of you hurting me at all. I trust you, Luhan. Honestly, more than anyone else.”

“Then, I’m sorry, but I don’t see the problem. I just want to help you, Kyungsoo. Help you get over him, and protect you from him. I won’t let him touch you just give me a chance—”

“Luhan, I don’t want you to just be a rebound, okay? Everything I’m feeling right now is completely messed up and I can’t tell what’s real and what’s not! Part of me wants cling to you and never let you go and another wants to run after him and beg him to stay. Can you see the problem? If I can’t trust the part of me that wants him back… I don’t know if I can trust myself at all.”

Luhan remained quiet for a few moments, frowning down at the floor. When he spoke up, his voice was low, not betraying how he was feeling. “I understand.”

“I don’t know how to get in control of my emotions right now. I just need a little bit of time to sort myself out. Please don’t hate me for this.”

“I said I understood, didn’t I?!” Luhan was definitely angry, which only indicated to Kyungsoo that maybe, Luhan was taking things the wrong way.

“Just a little time, please.”

“No Kyungsoo, I get it. You can stop trying to make me feel better. You’re not interested, last night was a mistake. Fine, whatever, I’ll get over it. It was my fault for confessing to you when you were vulnerable.”

“Luhan, no—”

But it was too late. Luhan disappeared into his own apartment, slamming the door behind him.

Kyungsoo accepted his defeat. There wasn’t anything he could do or say that would make Luhan listen to reason until he had calmed down, so there was no use trying. Not yet, anyways. Immediately after getting Luhan’s reaction, he felt he had maybe made a mistake. His heart sunk down to his stomach at the thought of being estranged from the only person who had so far been able to make him feel better, to forget his problems, even for a little while.

But he couldn’t do anything now. He sniffles as he gets into bed. But his thoughts are racing and sadness is building up inside him. Or it’s sitting right on his chest. He can’t tell, but either way, it’s difficult for him to breathe. It doesn’t feel much better as tears start flowing out onto his pillow and sobs rack through his whole body. He tries to keep quiet. There’s only a thin wall separating him from Luhan, and he knows Luhan’s classes start early the next day. His do too. He hopes his pillow is enough to muffle the sounds so Luhan can sleep.

 

 

 

 

 


How long has it been? I don't even know I think like four days or something.

Anyways! First out of probably three installments of Kyungsoo's side of the story. If it were in the regular setting of the story it's basically Kyungsoo telling Jongin everything after Jongin accuses him of being a murderer.

So yes, this is set in the past, and if it wasn't entirely clear, Luhan lived in the apartment Jongin currently lives in. I decided to only write about the important week instead of Kyungsoo and Junmyeon's entire relationship so just know that Junmyeon has been manipulating ksoo this entire time but ksoo didn't start suspecting anything for a long time.

I know nothing has been explained yet, but I need to basically set up the explanation with this back story. When the story gets back to realtime it'll be Kyungsoo telling Jongin why things are the way they are etc.

Tell me your thoughts so far about the change in the story.