Chapter 1

Coffee

It was a chilly winter morning even though the morning sun shone rather brightly, it made no difference towards the bone freezing temperature outside.

 

Taehyung entered the cafe, basking in the sudden warmth he felt and sighing rather audibly in pleasure. The scent of caffeine and freshly baked goods immediately filled his nose as he walked past several tables, making his way to his usual spot.

 

He came here often, after his friend Jimin recommended the place to him. The coffee and food were great but Taehyung actually came here for another reason. A reason that he kept to himself because he would get either scolded or roasted (or maybe both) if anyone found out.

 

Taehyung didn't know why he was standing outside this cafe that Jimin had recommended. The boy had rambled on about how good the food was and for once Taehyung was silent while he listened to his friend because there was no space to interrupt but the only words he caught that came from Jimin’s mouth were “You've gotta try their chocolate muffins!” And “Their lattes are to die for!” and he wasn't sure if he heard “The workers are pretty good eye candy too!” maybe he was saying “The workers give nice candy too!”? He tried to refuse but Jimin insisted that he went and quickly scribbled down the address on a piece of paper.

 

Now he wasn't here for some eye candy mind you, he was here for a reason any normal person would go to a cafe for...or at least that's what he tried to tell himself. He sighed and walked into the cafe and took a seat at a table in the corner. He looked around and saw many adults and students alike chattering, enjoying their food. He looked around again trying to sight a waiter so he could place an order.

 

“Are you ready to order sir?”

 

Taehyung whipped his head up and looked at the waiter who now stood before him. His eyes locked with a pair of soft brown ones. The man before him was very much the eye candy that Jimin had mentioned. High cheekbones, full lips and a pointed chin. He felt his throat go dry and the ability to speak left him as he gawked at the waiter who was still waiting for his response.

 

“Sir?” He asked, tilting his head.

 

Taehyung snapped out of his daze and finally responded

 

“Uh….sorry it's my first time here and I don't really drink coffee but my friend told me to come because I heard the food here is really good but I don't really know what to get…” He hurriedly said, slowing down at the last words making the waiter raise an eyebrow at him. His words were just strung up excuses, anything to make the waiter think he wasn't gawking at him even though he clearly was. The waiter chuckled softly, the sound warming up Taehyung’s insides.

 

“Okay, does a caramel macchiato and a chocolate muffin sound good then?”

 

Taehyung just nodded his head profusely as the handsome waiter scribbled down his order and turned to walk away. The college student let out a breath he didn't know he was holding and felt his heartbeat speed up for an unknown reason.

 

The waiter returned with his order and placed it on the table, his smile blinding Taehyung.

 

“One caramel macchiato and one chocolate muffin.” He stated and looked at Taehyung.

 

Taehyung felt his heart skip a beat and muttered a ‘Thank you’ before taking his food. He looked up at the waiter and saw a name tag which read ‘Kim Seokjin’

 

He sat there mesmerized and didn't hear the waiter say “You're welcome” before he turned around and walked away, much to Taehyung’s disappointment.

 

Since then Taehyung had frequently visited to see the waiter. He befriended an employee there and he only ordered caramel macchiatos and chocolate muffins.

 

He took a seat and glanced around, trying to see if that particular waiter was in. He glanced at his watch and looked up again still catching no sight of his target. He heard someone pull a chair out next to him and plop onto it rather aggressively, causing him to look.

 

“Oh God, work is exhausting!” The person let out with an exaggerated sigh while removing his apron.

 

It was the employee he befriended, Hwang Minhyun. The man bore a striking resemblance to Kim Seokjin but had a completely different aura and personality and his hair was blonde instead of brown. He was also a waiter at the cafe and had taken Taehyung’s orders from time to time, the two becoming quick friends when he heard Taehyung’s favorite was caramel macchiato as well prompting Minhyun to take his break early to talk to the college student, which he did pretty often when Taehyung visited

 

They even talked about Kim Seokjin. Minhyun told him that the other workers called him Jin. Little did Taehyung know, he had already caught on that Taehyung was visiting the cafe with ulterior motives but decided not to bring it up because the other must have thought he was being subtle in his endeavors.

 

“Hey Minhyun-hyung” he greeted casually, eyes still scanning the cafe for Jin, unaware of Minhyun’s questioning stare.

 

“You know, Jin’s shift isn’t for another half hour” he stated plainly, not missing Taehyung’s visible reaction at the sound of Jin’s name.

 

Minhyun let out a loud laugh, catching the attention of nearby customers and receiving questioning stares from them.

 

Taehyung punched Minhyun not so lightly in the arm, effectively shutting him up.

 

“What the hell? What was that about?” He whispered harshly “And why would I b-be interested in when Jin’s shift starts anyway? Taehyung heard himself stutter and silently cursed. He was like a deer caught in front of headlights.

 

Minhyun smiled playfully at Taehyung while rubbing his arm. “You're terrible at lying! I remember the way your face lit up when you first saw me and how quickly that expression faded when you read my name tag! And you aren't so subtle at changing topics, you make it obvious that you want to talk about Ji-”

 

“Okay shhhhh!” Taehyung whispered loudly, feeling his cheeks heat up in embarassment as he reached over the table and covered Minhyun’s mouth with his hand.

 

The two stayed in their awkward position with Taehyung bent over the table and Minhyun’s head pushed against his chair from the former’s hand until he felt Minhyun stop muffling sounds.

 

He removed his hand and glared at Minhyun who just continued smiling.

 

“Shouldn't you be back on already?” He asked Minhyun who just stood up and put his apron back on.

 

“Actually yes I should be back on, I’ll see you later!” He said while waving at Taehyung and walking to the counter.

 

The college student was left to his own devices once again and sighed in relief and disappointment at his friend’s departure.

 

“Another half hour?” He thought as he sat there bored out of his mind.

 

Just then, he heard the door open and Taehyung felt his heart leap out of his chest when he saw who entered.

 

Minhyun was at the register when he heard the door open and Jin walked in. He thanked the customer he was serving after giving them their change and looked over at Taehyung’s table. The college student was staring shamelessly at Jin who appeared oblivious to it. Taehyung saw Minhyun looking at him from the distance and gasped, hiding his face behind a menu in shame. Minhyun laughed and returned to doing his work.

 

Taehyung peeked over the menu he was hiding his face with and saw Minhyun and Jin talking. The pair laughed over something which made Taehyung narrow his eyes (in jealousy?). Minhyun pointed at the table he was seated at and Jin nodded and walked into the staff room to get changed.

 

Taehyung felt his heart do a flip and he began mouthing threats at Minhyun who laughed and gave him a thumbs up and a wink. He was going to kill him later for this.

 

He did want to talk to Jin but he wanted to do so through his own means. Then again, he'd been here countless times and did nothing but nod his head like an idiot when the handsome waiter asked him if he wanted the usual, having already caught on what the student wanted. Maybe he would thank Minhyun later for the help later instead. Maybe.

 

He took a deep breath (and no it did not calm him down) and gathered some courage. “I'm gonna do it today” he repeated in his head like he did every other time he prepared for Jin to walk to his table.

 

Jin re-entered the room and Taehyung found himself staring again. Even though it was just a simple uniform composed of a white dress shirt, a black vest, black slacks and a black bow tie, Jin never failed to make it look anything but simple. Taehyung caught himself staring this time and forcefully drew his eyes back down to the menu, wanting to look back up but knowing he shouldn't.

 

He felt Jin approach his table and looked up as if on cue wearing an abnormally normal smile as he waited for Jin to ask him what he wanted.

 

“The usual?” Jin asked casually with his pen and notepad ready for Taehyung’s answer. This time, Taehyung found the courage to respond with an actual word.

 

“Yes please” his voice cracked and his face immediately went red as he broke eye contact immediately and looked down. His confidence plummeted and he had to hold in the urge to scream and run away. He looked back up at Jin who laughed while looking at his notepad as he scribbled down his order. He smiled at Taehyung who laughed too.

 

“I'll be back then” Jin said, his voice hiding something. Taehyung raised an eyebrow at the retreating waiter but shrugged his shoulders and waited.

 

Jin returned with Taehyung’s order shortly after and placed it on the table. He smiled when Taehyung’s face lit up at the sight of his food and walked away while chuckling to himself. Taehyung noticed it and raised an eyebrow as he looked back and forth between his food and the waiter.

 

A folded paper was stuck into his muffin and he pulled it out. Taehyung unfolded the paper and his eyes widened.

 

“Hey I heard about you from Minhyun, Taehyung right? You're pretty cute and I saw you staring at me the other day. Call me some time?

~Jin”

 

Taehyung blushed madly and saw a number neatly written on the corner if the note. He wasted no time in putting the number on his phone. He quietly enjoyed his food and left the cafe smiling like an idiot.

 

He pulled out his phone and quickly typed up a message while walking

 

To: Minhyun

 

12:42 pm

 

Thanks for the help, I owe you! :)

 

He clicked send and bit his lip in contemplation on whether to text Jin or not. He wanted to wait but he also didn't want to wait. Well he wasn't the shyest or most patient person in the world (even if his attitude towards Jin said otherwise about being shy) so he decided to text Jin

 

To: Jin

 

12:44 pm

 

Hey, it's me Taehyung how does tomorrow sound? :)

 

He clicked send but realized too late that he forgot to add in a time and place and his message was bland as hell. He facepalmed himself internally multiple times but his phone vibrated and he saw two new messages.

 

From: Minhyun

 

12:51 pm

 

Anytime! Keep me updated on what happens. ;)

But you owe me caramel macchiatos for a week!

 

Taehyung chuckled and opened the next message, he almost dropped the phone and his eyes widened

 

From: Jin

 

12:52 pm

 

How does dinner sound then? I know a place we could go to, my treat :)

 

He was smiling like an idiot as he typed out a response

 

To: Jin

 

12:53 pm

 

Sure! I'll see you then? :)

 

He internally faceplamed at his blandness again but his face lit up at Jin’s instant response

 

From: Jin

 

12:53 pm

 

See you then, I'll pick you up around 8pm ;)


Taehyung broke into a run as he went back to the dorms. He had to tell Jimin. Taehyung didn't stop running or smiling, high on happiness (and also caffeine).