Smile

EunHae: Duets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Donghae gave the troubled Hyukjae another glance before he closed the door and headed to the common room. He needs something to cheer that sulking monkey up. He can’t blame him, though. That was definitely not a good way to end a year. Being in the industry for a long time got them used to negative articles like that, but it just can’t be helped that they won’t be affected in some way. Netizens are powerful. And scary.

He gritted his teeth in anger. They were supposed to have a wonderful holiday together but how is he going to make that happen now when Hyukjae has something to worry about? Hyukjae hasn’t told him anything on how he felt about the issue but he knows Hyukjae too well. He’s not worrying about what his family, friends and fans think about him. He knows that he’ll have their support no matter what. What bothers him is the fact that he’s giving the group and the management another bad publicity to deal with. It hasn’t been long since the incident with Ji Eun, has it?

How is he going to make him feel better? The celebration they had earlier to welcome the new year was fun but it's nothing compared to how they prepare for Seollal. He already tried bribing him with strawberry milk and japchae but to no good. He consumed them alright and tried faking a cheerful mood but he won’t be Donghae if he didn’t know the other’s real feelings behind that forced smile. He also embarrassed himself with a comedic act and a few corny jokes but Hyukjae’s laughter didn’t sound as how it should be. Aish!

Is it time for his Donghae-cutesy-attack?

Or shall he exhaust him with a mind-blowing ?

Hell, no. There are other members around. And they have something on in a few hours.

So…what now?

 

“Is he doing any better?”  Ryeowook asked when he sat beside him and grabbed the cracker he was munching on. The other members either went home or are already in bed after they welcomed 2013 earlier.

“Hmm.” Donghae responded with his mouth still full, “He’s being Hyukjae.” he then added a few seconds later.

“Ah.” the younger singer said, “That’s got to be tough on you, too.”

“A little…” Donghae replied as he reached for another piece on the coffee table, “…I hate it when he’s troubled and I can’t do much about it. I hate feeling helpless.”

Ryeowook just nodded in acknowledgement. Donghae fell into silence, obviously thinking of what else could he do to lighten Hyukjae’s mood.

Ryeowook then said out of the blue, “I miss Teukkie hyung…”

Donghae sighed. Indeed. Leeteuk hyung will definitely know what words to say in times like this. “Yeah.”

 

Ryeowook has already returned to his room a few minutes ago but Donghae decided to stay at the common room. He wanted to give Hyukjae some time alone. He needs that, he knows. And while he was cooped up at the couch, memories of his and Hyukjae’s most embarrassing moment, not too long ago, on this same spot came flooding in…

 

A smirking evil maknae welcomed them home. They just got back from a quick stroll short drive outside. And by quick, it means it was only less than 20 minutes. As usual, Donghae is being Donghae, acting all baby-ish when it comes to Hyukjae. He badly wanted to eat ice cream (there’s ice cream on the fridge by the way, but he wanted a different flavor) so he dragged Hyukjae out of their room then went on to the nearest but less frequented store, which happened to be 8 blocks away.

“What’s with the smirk?” Hyukjae asked the moment he saw the youngest of them flashing his trademark smirk.

Kyuhyun, having seen Hyukjae’s reaction, appeared to have been delighted even more, “You’re being summoned.”

“Oh? What about?” Hyukjae asked as he grabbed the plastic bag from Donghae when he saw him having a little trouble untying his shoes

“Just see him immediately. He’s been behaving like a mother hen the moment he knew that you went out.”

“Is he angry that we stepped out?” Hyukjae thought aloud, “But he gave us permission to go.”

“He did?” Kyuhyun confirmed, “Hmmm…”

“Hyuk, what could it be?” Donghae decided to join in the conversation and asked Hyukjae, “Anything in mind?” he asked while taking the grocery bag back from Hyukjae.

“None.” Hyukjae replied while shaking his head.

“Maybe yo—”

“You two! See Teukkie hyung now.” interrupted Yesung who just got out of the leader’s room.

“Two?!” Donghae asked, “Me, too?”

“Especially you.” Yesung replied nonchalantly as he slightly shoved Hyukjae to the side to make way for himself

“Hyung!” Donghae called just as Yesung passed by him

Yesung stopped and turned around. This is Donghae we’re talking about. If he chose to ignore him, he would surely follow him around, in all his childlike glory, until he got what he wanted, “Yes?” he then asked, opting to surrender early

“Is he angry?” Donghae asked, his expression shows that he was hoping to hear anything aside from…

“He was…” Yesung paused, probably to think of the best words to accurately describe their leader before he left his room minutes ago.

“… smiling THAT smile.” Yesung replied deviously then took his leave.

 

Oh. That smile? THAT smile??!!! This is not going to be good.

Donghae was starting to freak out inside when Hyukjae nudged him by the elbow, “Let’s go. It can’t be that bad.” Hyukjae said, trying to reassure him that everything will be okay. But the thing is, he has known Hyukjae like the back of his palm. This Hyukjae he’s seeing now is the reassuring-and-comforting-but-actually-worried-and-anxious-Hyukjae.

Aish!

“The monkey and the fishy in trouble…”

[ lyrics from the just-composed song Kyuhyun was singing in between humming while he was on his way back to his and Sungmin’s room.]

“That little…” Donghae clicked his tongue in annoyance. Kyuhyun sure holds the title “Evil Maknae”, doesn’t he?!

 

[The night before.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter