Mirror

Drabbles

(It is late at night as I am writing this. There is something about writing at night that makes me enjoy it. Maybe it’s the loneliness, or quietness that makes me feel at peace. But then, it makes me worried because I don’t like to sleep late. I know, it’s foolish, but oh well, I like to keep my body well-rested…)

 

Ji Hyo waited anxiously in front of her mirror, watching as the clock strikes 12. The mirror was long and wide, attached to her bedroom’s wardrobe.

Hey, she wrote on the mirror. She had wrote it the mirror image. It was easy, most of the time. But it was the long sentences that were difficult. But she guessed it was still readable.

Hey, Ji Hyo, the other person replied.

There were a few things she learnt about him. After all, they chatted for close to a month.

Like, for example,

  1. He is a guy (DUH) and his name is Gary.
  2. He is from a parallel universe. (She freaked out when words started to appear on her mirror one day. What terrifying experience was that…)
  3. Somehow, the mirror only works at 12 midnight, for around 10 minutes.
  4. He is in high-school like her, but a year older.
  5. He likes music.

Anyhow, they chatted for a couple of minutes, before Gary wrote:

I think I like you.

 

She felt her heart beat increase. I, she wrote. She planned to write I like you too.

But it isn’t going to work out between them. It will never work out. How can you like a person you can’t even meet? (And, who isn’t even in your universe?!)

So in the end, she wrote, I got to go.

Gary stared at the message, stunned. Did he scare her away?

I am sorry, he wrote.

She was looking at the message, but she didn’t reply.

 

For the next few days, she refused to look at the mirror despite the niggling in her heart to do so. She blocked it with posters and pictures and everything she could think of, but she finds herself awake at 12 every night, looking at the mirror longingly.

And by the end of the week, she couldn’t restrain herself anymore. At 12, she took down the posters.

I am sorry, she wrote.

For a few minutes, he didn’t respond. She thought he had given up.

But later, he wrote, Hey.

I like you too, she wrote. But we aren’t going to work out, she wrote again.

But I still like you, he replied.

You shouldn’t, she wrote.

Why, he wrote.

Because we should find real people in our own universe to like, she wrote.

People will think we’re crazy if we continue to do this, she wrote.

But, I can’t control my feelings, he wrote.

I think I’m crazy too, he wrote.

I don’t even know how you look like, or whether you are even a real person, he wrote.

But I still like you, he wrote.

And even if we can’t go on dates like a normal couple, or kiss or hold hands or share ice creams and giggle in each other’s arms, I still want to like you, he wrote.

Gary… she wrote.

But this can’t go on forever, she wrote.

I mean, it probably won’t go on forever, she wrote.

Someday, maybe the mirror will stop working, or maybe you’ll find a real person you like, or I’ll find a real person I like, and what do we do then, she wrote.

Then, we’ll have to move on, he wrote.

But for now we can freely like each other, he wrote.

Why do we have to worry about the future that hasn’t arrived yet, he wrote.

But what’s the point, she wrote.

Then we’ll just face an unnecessary heartbreak, she wrote.

What’s the point of living when you know you are dying anyway, he wrote.

Sometimes, we don’t need a reason to do things, he wrote.

We can just do things based on our feelings, he wrote.

 

Ji Hyo blinked as she read the message on the mirror. A surge of confidence, or irrationality, washed over her.

Ok then, I like you too, she wrote.

 

 

 

 

 

(Okay this is so nonsensical but……… okay I got inspired by a book so bam. It’s not even a drabble what is this HAHA)