Can I Help You?

Cupid's Touch

Can I Help You?

Baekhyun nose turned up as soon as he smelt the pungent odor of wet dog and forest leaves and he tried not to look too disgusted as he disctretly cast his eyes around the classroom. This smell; it was a vampire's worst enemy, of the few creatures who were capable of killing them, a werewolf. 

 

There. His eyes landed on a handsome and strong looking boy, with tan skin and brown hair. Baekhyun narrowed his eyes, as far as he knew, a werewolf sense of smell was ten time better than a vampire's however, vampire's didn't smell like anything. Which meant they didn't smell like humans either. If he wanted to be safe, he'd just have to keep his distance. 

 

As the werewolf was sitting next to the window, Baekhyun quickly went and sent at the opposite end of the room, as close to the wall as he could, and tried to refrain from constantly looking at the boy. When finally the bell rung, Baekhyun not having paid any attention to the lesson, immediately stood up and walked quickly out of the room, hoping he hadn't drawn any attention to himself. 

 

Why out of all the schools Tao could have chosen he chose the one with a werewolf? Weren't werewolves basically exinct? Baekhyun knew vampires were rare, and werewolves were supposed to just as much so. The situation could have been quite amusing actually, a vampire, a werewolf and a mermaid all attending the same school. What were the chances?

 

His teeth began to tingle and Baekhyu's eyes widened. Not now. Why was he having a surge now? He knew why. The appearance of a werewolf had set off his instincts, and now his body was going haywire. Usually he was able to control the emergence of his teeth, but now instinct had taken over and he could feel them sharpening in his mouth. His pupils he knew were now dilated and he was hyper aware of the smell of fresh blood all around him. Young, untainted. He hadn't tasted fresh human blood in so long. He took a deep breath. It smelled so very very sweet. 

 

No. He pinched himself on the arm, which brought him somewhat back to his senses. Think. He needed blood. His bag. Not here. He looked around, the nurse's office, a few classrooms. The nurse's office would have to do. 

 

He pushed the door open, slammed it shut behind him and seeing no one around, ripped open his bag, frantically searching for the cartons of blood he'd brought for lunch. Finding one, he ripped it open, not bothering with a straw and poured it down his throat, red dribbling down his chin, panting as his thirst was quenched. But to be safe, he grabbed two more and gulped them down, more carefully this time. He pulled out his phone and quicklt scrolled before tapping on Tao's name.

 

"Baek?" The boy answered immediately.

 

"Tao, there's a werewolf here. I felt him. And," He wiped the sweat of his forehead. "I'm out of blood and if I see him again I might have another surge and I won't have anything to stop it and there's all these humans here and I might-"

 

"You had a surge?" Tao's voice rose.

 

"Shut up!" Baekhyun hissed, still relieved Tao had interrupted him as he'd been working himself up into quite a frenzy. "What if someone hears you?"

 

"Oh yeah sorry. Um okay. Well, just go home then."

 

"What if I see him again?"

 

"You can control yourself." Said Tao confidently and as much as Baekhyun appreciated the confidence Tao had in him, he was pretty sure it was unfounded.

 

But it wasn't like he had any better ideas; he needed more blood and he needed to think.

 

"Fine." He agreed and hung up.

 

He let out a sigh and picked up his bag from the floor, throwing it one one of the beds before collecting all the cartons and putting them in the bin. From the outside they looked just like cartons of tomato juice. He just needed a few minutes to calm down, his surge was still going.

 

"What are you doing?" A small and trembling voice asked and Baekhyun spun around, his teeth now fulling out and glinting, his eyes glowing with a slight golden shine.

 

Sitting on one of the beds, peaking past the curtain, previously lying down which was why Baekhyun hadn't noticed him, was Kyungsoo. Baekhyun snarled, the curtain had been pulled shut so he hadn't noticed but there was a large window, from which the sun shined into, ignoring the scared look given to him, Baekhyun quickly ran over to the window and pulled the curtains shut, before, everything finally hitting him, sitting down on one of the beds. There were three, each surrounded by a curtain, the one he was sitting on, closest to the window, then Kyungsoo sitting on the next one, and then his bag, thrown on the third one, the one closest to the door.

 

Baekhyun looked up at Kyungsoo, who was looking at him with wide, scared eyes, and who had pulled the blanket all the way up to his chin. 

 

He had some explaining to do.

 

He stood up.

 

He winced as a few rays of sun managed to find their way past the curtains that he'd pulled across the window and pulled a small orange pot of pills out of his pocket, before swallowing a few, making a face at the sour taste. 

 

"Can you really not go into the sun?" Baekhyun turned at the soft voice and sighed when he saw the owl-like eyes perusing him with a surprising intensity. 

 

Baekhyun then groaned, throwing himself back down on the bed. 

 

"Just..." He didn't know what to say, he'd never have thought it'd be him and not Tao that'd compromise their position. 

 

Kyungsoo cocked his head to the side, seemingly waiting for Baekhyun to speak, and as he seemed to be struggling, the human decided he might as well speak up. 

 

"I'm human." He started and Baekhyun glanced at him. 

 

"And I'm a vampire." He shut his mouth, well, it wasn't like he could make excuses at this point, Kyungsoo wasn't stupid after all. 

 

To his surprise Kyungsoo didn't flinch but instead, smiled. Creepily. Like really creepily.

 

"Stop that." Said Baekhyun. "You're freaking me out."

 

Kyungsoo then laughed and Baekhyun frowned, why was he laughing and not running? Was he in shock maybe?

 

"Why am I the one freaking out here?" 

 

Kyungsoo shook his head. "No, no, no. It's just, well, I'm glad."

 

"You're glad...why excatly?" Baekhyun had never felt more confused in his life; there was something wrong with this kid.

 

Kyungsoo shrugged. "I don't really know. Maybe that there's something more to my mundane life than I'd ever imagined. Maybe, even though I'm just a average, boring, human, there's other people out there, who are extraordinary."

 

Baekhyun looked at him with wide eyes. "I barely know you, but if there's one thing you're not it's ordinary. Maybe..."

 

Baekhyun narrowed his eyes and sat up on the bed, staring at Kyungsoo for a few minutes, with the latter looking back, a questioning look on his face. 

 

"Are you bipolar?" Asked Baekhyun seriously and Kyungsoo scowled. 

 

"No!" He shook his head vigorously. "What are you talking about?"

 

Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. "Alright Mr. Boring Boy, can you blame me? You were all, shy and demure this morning and now you're contemplating the meaning of life and casually chatting. With a vampire no less."

 

Kyungsoo blinked, and then shrugged. "I don't like talking to strangers."

 

"I am a stranger." Said Baekhyun and to his surprise Kyungsoo rolled his eyes, and Baekhyun supposed he was more than a stranger, he had asked him to look after Tao, and they'd been in most of the same classes for the morning.

 

"Sure you are." Said Kyungsoo.

 

Excuse you. He was supposed to be the sassy one here, not owl boy.

 

"What do you eat?" Asked Kyungsoo curiously and Baekhyun eyed him, this kid, well, like before, he felt himself trusting him.

 

"Listen. Now that you know all this, we're in this together." Baekhyun wasn't a big fan of giving pep talks but he needed Kyungsoo to keep quiet about this. "Me, you and Tao, alright? So, this is going to stay between us."

 

"Tao?" Kyungsoo questioned, and he perked up. "Is he one too?"

 

"Kind of." Said Baekhyun. "We can talk later. Elsewhere. The point is, don't say anything."

 

Kyungsoo nodded. "Don't worry, I'm better than you at keeping things to myself."

 

"Excuse me? At least I don't eavesdrop on other people's private conversations."

 

"At least I have the common sense to not have these "private" conversations in the hallway of a highschool during lunch break."

 

"At least I'm not too scared to talk to people."

 

"At least I'm not going around those people's blood."

 

"At least I don't have your face." Baekhyun came back and Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow.

 

"At least I can come up with good comebacks." He finished with a satisified (and rather terrifying) smile and Baekhyun mock-glared at him. 

 

"Not such a shy butterfly after all are you Satansoo?"

 

"Satansoo?"

 

"Suits you doesn't it?" Baekhyun answered smugly; a little too proud of the nickname he came up with.

 

"How so?" There was a glint in Kyungsoo's eyes that made Baekhyun grin, not a shy butterfly at all. "I'd have thought it'd suit the vampire more."

 

"Well firstly, that doesn't work. Because I'm called Baekhyun, a name I'm quite fond of. And also, my smile can get anyone I want, your smile can strike fear into the hearts of demons."

 

"Sure." Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and Baekhyun stood up from the bed.

 

"You've taken all this well." He commented over his shoulder as he walked past the human, towards the exit.

 

"Would you rather I freaked out?" Asked Kyungsoo, also standing up and following Baekhyun out. 

 

"Oho." There was a boy with dark hair outside, with a mischevious eyes and his lips seemingly curled in a constant smile. "What were you two doing in there?"

 

Baekhyun ignored him, strolling down the school corridor and Kyungsoo ran after him. 

 

"Hold up." The human called out and Baekhyun turned around.

 

"What?"

 

"I have questions."

 

"Huh." Baekhyun didn't look impressed but pulled out his phone from his pocket and gestured to Kyungsoo to do the same. "I'll text you."

 

They exchanged numbers and went their separate ways. 

 

"Don't go sprouting weird !" Called out Baekhyun as Kyungsoo walked away, the latter only waving a hand in acklodgement over his shoulder, not even bothering to look back as he slowly began to realize what had happened. 

 

He hadn't comfortably spoken with someone like that for years. He'd missed it. Just being able to say what he thought; to be able to bite back. Kyungsoo didn't care that Baekhyun was a vampire. He guessed he should be shocked that such things existed, but, well, to him, it was no more shocking that actually being to be himself with another person. He walked down the hallway, a certain spring in his step that he'd been devoid of for a long time. 

 

He was a bit too sprightly in fact, accidently bumping into someone and loosing his balance, tottering back as he attempted to regain his balance, fortunately he was successul, and he looked up to apolgize, and froze. 

 

A pair of ight chocolate brown eyes were only inches away from his coal black ones, and it was then Kyungsoo realized how he, with his limited athletic ability had managed to regain his balance. A hand was circled around his arm, the stranger having pulled him up so gently Kyungsoo hadn't even noticed his touch. Kyungsoo eyes travelled from the tanned, toffee skin of the hand of his savior, rising up the face of an extremely handsome boy. Soft, rounded features, with gentle warm eyes, full lips and messy auburn hair that perfectly framed his face. Kyungsoo was suddenly hyper aware of how much skin, very nice and soft looking skin that it was (what was that thought???), the stranger had exposed, completely bare arms, as he was only wearing a dark singlet with dark blue jeans. 

 

Kyungsoo felt his face explode into a blush and he quickly took a step back.

 

"I'm sorry." He bowed slightly in apology and before the boy could notice his blush, he bolted.

 

"Hey, are you al-?" The boy called after him but Kyungsoo had already dissapeared around the corner, attributing the uneven beating his his heart to his sudden burst of exercise and not being only millimetres away from the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen in his life. 

 

When he figured he was far enough that whoever it was wouldn't be able to find him Kyungsoo paused and took in deep breaths. He didn't run as a general rule, so when he did, the afthermath was his wheezing and what felt like the imploding of his heart, although that could be because of those beautiful chocolate eyes. Kyungsoo put his head between his hands and groaned. Today was the weirdest day of his life.