Just Trust Me

Cupid's Touch

Just Trust Me

Tao had always loved the beach, mermaid or human form. It was like the gateway to another world, the connection between the aquatic world he called home and the earth that the humans roamed. And connection it was. 

 

Tao, unlike his vampire friend, was a firm believer in fate and destiny. And how much more destined could one get than meeting the same human at the same place, with that human once again asking after Baekhyun. Now Tao wasn’t a shrewd individual, and he was well aware of that, but even he could tell that the human who’d introduced himself as Chanyeol was interested in Baekhyun. 

 

And personally if someone was interested in him he’d be pleased. But Baekhyun didn’t seem to please, in fact as soon as Chanyeol had turned around Tao had been privy to the look of absolute horror that had come across Baekhyun’s face. 

 

“Why do you look so horrified? Doesn’t he like you? And he goes to our school too! That’s even better, and his friend looks cool as well.”

 

“Tao stay away from him.”

 

“What?”

 

“Both of them okay? I don’t like the look of them.”

 

“I think they’re pretty handsome.”

 

Baekhyun sighed and sat down on the beach, and motioned for Tao to do the same. 

 

“Tao listen, you have to realize that you’re a prince. Maybe not here, but you’re still a prince okay? And you’re a mermaid as well, even if you look human. You know what you’re like, you’ll let it slip like it’s no big deal but the human world is dangerous for you okay? You’re a mermaid and you’re a prince, do you have an idea how much you’d be worth?”

 

“I-” Tao stuttered, surprised by how serious Baekhyun was being. “B-but, there’s you and Sehun right? And I’m not hopeless, I can take care of myself!”

 

“Tao.” Baekhyun sighed and in a unusual move of gentleness reached out and patted Tao hair. 

 

“What?” 

 

“You’re too young to understand. But trust me okay? Be careful of people you don’t know.”

 

“Fine...” Tao agreed, Baekhyun had always looked out for him, and he was right, compared to him Tao was basically a child.

 

 

“Thank you. And of course Sehun and I’ll always be here for you.”

 

The tension seemingly dissolved the two got up and began to walk back to the house; and Tao remembered why they’d been out arguing on the beach to begin with. He’d used his powers. As a mermaid, and a mermaid prince nonetheless, Tao was gifted with certain supernatural abilities. He was what mermaid called a SOULSINGER mermaid, he had the ability to cast out his soul over great distances, walk in animal’s skin and communicate through the currents. 

 

Communicating, like he’d done with his sister earlier in the night was a quiet affair, and didn’t make his aura flair like using his other abilities did. But the reason he’d used them was an accident. He was still young like Baekhyun said, and he couldn’t fully control them, and his soul had a tendency to travel when he fell asleep, leading to this physical body basically becoming a flaming beacon of magical energy. Even as a mermaid he had trouble controlling it, and it was ten times harder as a human. Fortunately Sehun had managed to wake him up, so his aura had only spilled slightly, causing a slight tremor but hopefully nothing too noticeable. Sehun hadn’t been to bothered, as a fairy he was used to magical spillages and such. 

 

Baekhyun on the other hand had been bothered. Tao knew the older boy disliked magic, even as a vampire he was suspicious of it and thought of it as dangerous and unstable, a view that would definitively shared by humans if they knew of magic’s existence. In fact when Tao had first met Baekhyun, he would refuse to touch for fear he’d get infected with this ‘magic’, but overtime he’d learnt more and eventually come to accept as part of the supernatural world he’d been into. That didn’t mean he liked it though. To him, it was unnatural. 

 

So he’d dragged Tao off to the beach, as not wake Kyungsoo up, so that he could scream at him. Admittedly it had made him feel better now, and in fact looking back, he was a little embarrassed by how upset he’d got. But it had just scared him, and at the same time that he was yelling at Tao for using his magic, that Chanyeol guy had shown up. And started talking about phone numbers. Baekhyun had been so scared, and so embarrassed he’d regressed back into himself and completely clammed up for a good ten minutes. Why did he feel like this? Wasn’t this Chanyeol guy a human? He smelt human, and he looked human, but he didn’t feel human. 

 

Was it because his touch didn’t hurt him in the same way all other humans touches did? Maybe Chanyeol had a super rare blood type that didn’t burn vampires. Was that possible? As far as he knew a vampire’s skin was allergic to blood, it was a some sort of mechanism that was a result of blood being their primary source of nutrition. And as their skin was so cold, the human’s body temperature burnt them, he didn’t really understand it. Baekhyun had hated human biology so there was no way he was about to research vampire biology. But why didn’t Chanyeol burn? Was he sick so that his body temperature was lower than usual? But even then, a vampire’s body temperature should be much lower than that. 

 

It didn’t make sense. 

 

Tao could practically hear the gears grinding in Baekhyun’s head so he decided it’d be better for him just to stay quiet on the way home and he mulled over his thoughts. He’d never really thought that anyone would willingly go out of their way to hurt him. It didn’t make sense to him, of course revenge did, if he hurt them then it made sense for them to want to hurt him. But why would someone want to hurt someone else if they hadn’t done anything. His sisters had always told him it was because they were bad people in the world, and there were good people too, and then there were indifferent people, that’s just how it was. 

 

He pursed his lips, Baekhyun’s words coming back to mind. The older one was right. He was a prince, so he should be more careful. They arrived back at the house and Baekhyun turned to Tao. 

 

“Remember what I said; try and stay away from those guys on the beach, they’re nothing but trouble.”

 

“I will.” Tao nodded and Baekhyun smiled at him. 

 

“Good. Let’s sleep now, it’s been a long night. And try not to soul walk or whatever it is you do.”

 

“I can’t help it. It just kinda happens.”

 

“Well stop it from happening then.”

“It’s not that easy Baekkie.” Tao was about to launch into a full detailed explanation about how difficult it was to control his powers and what he had to do to be able stop himself from ‘soul searching’ in his sleep but Baekhyun could tell what was coming and interrupted him. 

 

“I’m really tired so I’m gonna go to bed, night Tao.” He laughed as Tao muttered curses at him as he ran up the stairs, had a shower, cleaned himself up and threw himself down on his bed. 

 

Tao did the same thing in his room, popping his head in Sehun’s room and then Kyungsoo’s, both of his friends peacefully sleeping before he went to do just that in his own. 

 

The light filtered in through the blinds and Kyungsoo cracked his eyes opened. He looked around and bolted up, where was he? He was lying in a large bed with white sheets and a light blue blanket, cream walls with a random assortment of paintings of trees and the beach and posters of what he recognized as TVXQ and H.O.T. Slowly he remembered coming over to Baekhyun and Tao’s and his lips parted in revelation. That’s right; he stayed here last night. 

 

“Kyungsoo you awake?” Baekhyun’s voice asked from outside the door and Kyungsoo nodded until he realized that Baekhyun couldn’t see him and called out. 

 

“Yes.”

 

“Get out here and get some breakfast then.”

 

Kyungsoo found it interesting how Baekhyun would fluctuate between being sweet, being arrogant and being downright sassy. 

 

“Okay.” He slipped out of bed and quickly slipped out of bed, pulling on his clothes from yesterday and opening the door, to find Baekhyun hammering on where he remembered Tao’s room being. 

 

“Tao get up! You have school! I’m going to leave your lazy behind this time I mean it!”

 

“Baekhyun your cooking’s burning.”

 

Baekhyun spun around and Kyungsoo couldn’t help but giggle at the light pink apron with a little bow at the front that he was wearing. 

 

“.” He said running past Kyungsoo. “Wake up Tao for me would you?”

 

“What?” Kyungsoo paused and then went to knock on the door. “Hello? Tao? Are you awake?”

 

There was a groan from inside that gave Kyungsoo hope and he raised his voice a little. 

 

“Tao? Baekhyun said breakfast is ready.”

 

There was a loud thump and the door was ripped open and Tao’s eyes were wide and panicked. 

 

“You have to help me. He’s going to make me eat it again.” He grabbed Kyungsoo’s shoulders. “I love Baekhyun but I cannot eat one more of his pancakes, I don’t know what he does to them but they’re inedible.” 

 

“I can cook if you like...” Kyungsoo hesitated; he didn’t want Baekhyun to get offended, and he from what he knew of his new friend, Tao was a little bit of a drama queen. 

 

“Yes, oh my god yes please! Thank you so much!” Tao kissed Kyungsoo on the cheek and then grabbed his hand, pulling him down the stairs to find Baekhyun holding up a burn pan and crinkling his nose. 

 

“I can’t believe I used to eat this type of .”

 

“You didn’t. You ate food.” Sehun strolled into the kitchen and grabbed the pan off him and chucked it in the bin. “I don’t think you could even consider that food anymore.”

 

“Well...no breakfast for you guys I suppose.”

 

“No Kyungsoo said he can cook.” Tao burst into kitchen, pulling Kyungsoo behind him who dug in his heels and caused Tao to jerk back. “Ugh, sorry Soo.”

 

“I can cook if you need me to.” Said Kyungsoo and Baekhyun nodded. 

 

“Sure. It’s your house too now human.” Baekhyun said jokingly, and strolled out, untying the apron as he did so, trying not to look too pleased that he didn’t have to cook anymore, because honestly he hated cooking, and Sehun scowled after him. 

 

“It’s not your house to give, vampire.” 

 

“Yes Kyungsoo, go!” Tao was excited at finally being able to eat normal food again, and brightened even further when he saw noticed Sehun. 

 

“Morning Honey~” He spun over to his friend and hugged him.

 

“I’m surprised you’re up.” Sehun didn’t look too impressed but slung an arm over Tao’s shoulder none the less. 

 

“Soo woke me up with the threat of Baekhyun’s cooking.” Tao’s arm wrapped around his wait and he leaned on him in a relaxed manner, his head resting on 

 

“That’d get anyone out of bed.”

 

Kyungsoo smiled slightly as he bustled around the kitchen, making himself at home, the last vestiges of awkwardness at being in someone else’s house fading away as he listened to Sehun and Tao’s chatter and later Baekhyun came back, changed out of the apron to dark jeans and soft jacket. 

 

“Go get changed Tao, we’re leaving after breakfast.” He eyed Baekhyun. “You sure you don’t want a spare change of clothes?”

 

“No I’d rather wear my own.” Kyungsoo said and Baekhyun raised an eyebrow. 

 

“Don’t sass me young man.”

 

“I didn’t.”

 

“You so did, don’t pretend! Behind that squishy exterior is a fierce, ruthless little thing!” 

 

Kyungsoo found out that despite actually being quite a lot older than him, Baekhyun could be as equally as childish as Tao, and he spent the rest of the time making he was making breakfast arguing with the vampire. Both Tao and Sehun had gravitated to the sofa, and were listening to the conversations, sometimes butting in or laughing at their conversation.

 

“Well, you’d be a lot hotter if you showed off a little more.” Baekhyun said.

 

“That’s not on the top of everyone’s priorities.” Said Sehun lying across the sofa, his head resting on the armrest, his eyes closed as his feet rested on Tao who was sitting at the other end. 

 

“That’s easy to say when you look like you.” Baekhyun retorted. “But aren’t humans are blessed with natural beauty like us vampires and fairies.”

 

“And mermaids!” Piped up Tao and Baekhyun raised in an eyebrow. 

 

“I wouldn’t call you blessed.”

 

“You’re right. I’m divine.” Tao flipped imaginary hair over his shoulder and Kyungsoo laughed as Sehun light poked his cheek with his toe. 

 

“Divinely dumb I’d say.”

 

“You guys are so mean...Kyungsoo help me, I’m being bullied.”

 

“Stop bullying him.” A voice spoke up before the human could and all four of them jumped; they all turned to the door where it’d come from. 

 

“Jesus Christ Suho don’t do that!” Baekhyun relaxed when he noticed who it was and Sehun pulled his legs off Tao and stood up, the latter doing the same thing, the two greeted him and he then turned to the human, who’d been watching the new arrival carefully, and trying to deduce whether he was human or not.

 

“I’m Kyungsoo.” He bowed, and the stranger smiled politely at him. 

 

“Suho, it’s nice to meet you.”

 

There was silence for a while and Kyungsoo decided he might as well just finish cooking and went cooking to scrambling eggs. As soon as his back was turned Suho raised an eyebrow at Baekhyun who shrugged and then mouthed human to him, causing the older to turn back to Kyungsoo and casually started the conversation. 

 

“So, you know about all this then?” 

 

Baekhyun’s stomach curled into a knot and tried to shoot a warning glance at Kyungsoo but his back was turned to them as he cooked. The vampore cast a look at Suho, was leaning back against the door frame while Sehun and Tao were sitting behind them, back on the sofa and eyeing Suho suspiciously. Tao opened his mouth but Sehun quickly elbowed him and put his finger to his lips.

 

“Um, what about?” Kyungsoo didn’t know how much he could say so he decided to leave it at that, and he could almost sense the tension behind him, he may be human, but that didn’t mean he was stupid, and the lack of anyone else talking after he was asked that question was a pretty clear indicator that something wasn’t right.

 

“Suho’s an old friend of mine. He’s a bit uptight about rules...so he’s probably wondering why we aren’t at school yet.” Baekhyun said easily but Kyungsoo caught on to the warning tone in his voice. 

 

“Ah I see. I just met them at school and they let me stay the night, I’m making them breakfast as thanks. I’ll be going soon.” Kyungsoo started talking and pulled the pan off the oven, tunring around and Suho gave him on last look before turning around looking at Tao. 

 

“You’re being careful aren’t you Tao?”

 

“Of course Suho, I’m not going near any saltwater or anything like that.” Tao was a terrible liar, but it looked like Suho believed him. 

 

“I’ll see you guys later then. Just wanted to see how you were doing. It’s nice to see again Sehun, and it’s nice to meet you Kyungsoo.” Suho nodded at him before walking out the door and Tao stuck his tongue out behind his back, with Sehun hitting him over the head. 

 

“He’s not my favorite guardian anymore.” Tao pouted after Suho’d left and slumped back in his seat. 

 

“Pardon?” Kyungsoo was confused, as he pulled out plates and dished out eggs before handing a plate to Sehun and Tao, the latter nodding with a words of thanks and a smile, before taking one for himself and digging in. 

 

“Suho’s from the council, guardians they’re called, he deals with affairs, and he used to be an ambassador for the mermaid kingdom, but he’s the ambassador for the last Angels now. Tao’s still upset about it.” Baekhyun explained quickly.

 

 

“It’s all Yixing’s fault.”

 

“You can’t blame really Suho for falling in love.” Said Sehun looking at Tao out of the corner of his eye. “You can’t help who you fall in love with.”

 

“Uhm I know.” Tao started sassily. “Maybe but that doesn’t mean you’ve got to ditch your job.”

 

“You just don’t like him because he got replaced with Yunho, who’s got better things to do than talk to you.” Sehun said finishing off the last of his eggs and handing his plate to Baekhyun.

 

“I’m not your maid.”

 

“But you are staying in my house.”

 

“Tao finish up then let’s go.” Said Baekhyun holding out his hand for Tao’s plate and taking Sehun’s.

 

Sehun waved them off as the three of guys set off for school. As they reached the entrance Baekhyun gave Tao a pointed stare before he and Kyungsoo went to their class and Tao went to his own, planning on staying out of trouble and following Baekhyun’s advice. 

 

But things don’t always go to plan. And people often have trouble following their own advice don’t they?