Letter 5: Love Problem

Dear Lady Unna: the one-stop advice centre for teens [CLOSED]

Dear Lady Unna,


Question is according to this story about my personal experience

Chapter 1:
Aftergrad was approaching and I couldn’t find anyone to drive me home for that day. My friends were getting other friends who knew how to drive. I have an oppa who has a car. We have been best friends for 4 years. I doubt he’ll mind driving me home. He agreed at first and told me he has gotten a girlfriend.

Chapter 2:
4 days to aftergrad. While I was eating at a restautrant with my friends, oppa called me and asked me if I needed a ride. Then, I could hear his girlfriend arguing with him. She then took the phone from oppa and asked me if I really needed the ride. She told me to call up a taxi to take me home as the price is pretty cheap and it drops me off straight at my house. (Does she think that I like him?)

Chapter 3:
3 days to aftergrad. Oppa apologised to me about his girlfriend snapping at me over the phone. He actually told her to talk to me. (so, I’m not sure if he planned for his girlfriend to snap at me) He then asked me if I would like to go somewhere this weekend. I agreed and he said he would text me the venue. (He would never think I like him right?)

Chapter 4:
2 days to aftergrad. I get a message from oppa telling me to meet for ice cream. After a long wait, I called him to discover that we were at different places. What happened was that it was the girlfriend that caused this misunderstanding. I start to get suspicious. My unnie advises me not to meet them at the hangout and I listened.

Chapter 5:
The day of aftergrad. My classmates and I went for dinner before the partying. Oppa messaged me and apologised for his girlfriend, also announcing their break up. I was confused on why they broke up as they had been dating for only a few days.

Chapter 6:
30 minutes after the party. Oppa called me and asked me if I liked him more than a friend. After I said no, he hung up. I called him back to ask him why he hung up so abruptly. It was then he said that he liked me.

Chapter 7:
He asked me out but I told him I needed time to think about it. I actually had a crush on him two years ago but it ended after he told me he would not date younger girls on MSN. I decided to tell oppa that I will be his girlfriend the next day on MSN. Even though I was glad, I still wondered why oppa would confess to me now.

Chapter 8:
A day after the party. On MSN, I told him that I will go out with him. We arranged a date that Saturday. Suddenly, he asked me what my ideal type was. I said ''someone talkative and outgoing'', which had always been part of oppa's personality. However, he said ''you are telling me how to act''. I got really confused so I asked for his ideal type. What he said surprised me as I had never known he wanted a girl like he described. I joked that he was picky and besides telling me that I was bossy, he tried to debate with me for 2 hours that ideal types did not exist. I then decided to pretend he had never confessed to me.

Chapter 9:
2 days until the end of the week. Oppa messaged me to ask if we were still going out that Saturday and I said yes. Just then, I happened to login to Facebook and discovered that his relationship status was ''In a relationship with Yuki'', who was his ex-girlfriend. I messaged him to clarify. Even though he said he didn't like her anymore, he told me that the status was still there because he did not want his friends to ''misunderstand''. I was confused but did not probe on. This was when things seemed really wrong to me.

Chapter 10:
I called my unnie again to ask for advice, telling her about the relationship status thing. She advised me to call oppa and tell him he and his girlfriend should get back together. I did that. There was a long pause. He got into an argument with me and finally told me to find another boyfriend, initiating a break up. I had suspicions that his girlfriend and him were trying to gang up on me as oppa had never scolded and insulted me so much before. The following week, I got a message from oppa asking if we were meeting on Saturday. I told him I would not after all that happened. When he called me, I hung up on him. The next morning he continuously harassed me by calling me.

Epilogue:
A best friend with a personality change in 5 days. A creepy girlfriend. I thought that they had planned this all along and did not want to be part of it anymore. I had gotten calls by oppa everyday for a month. Therefore, I changed my number and blocked both of them off Facebook.

Wanted to know what you think about this scenario, what was the best friend thinking, what happened to him?

 

Lady Unna advice/questions:

Heys, I’m rather confused as to what’s going on. Maybe you would like to answer them?

How did you meet this oppa? Was he your senior or something?

Well, I guess, in my opinion, I think that this scenario is purely based on some misunderstanding grounds and probably some overreaction.

I guess communication through internet means such as MSN and facebook or even SMS can give off wrong signals. This is because of the way that words are phrased. Sometimes, they give off a different vibe to the readers reading it. The reader will read it the way he/she sees it which may not be the intention of the writer. For example, exclamation marks and caps can give off two different vibes – anger or excitedness. Question marks may also be used for sarcasm besides asking questions.

As for when he spoke to you through the phone, his insults may not have been intentional. He may have thought that you were finding excuses to break up with him, which caused anger on his part. When he repeatedly asked you if you were still going out after the arguments, perhaps he was just trying to make up with you and not harassing you like you thought. Since we don't know you nor your oppa, neither were we in the situation itself, we cannot say for sure what happened but do understand that we are answering your question from our perspective.

Why did you choose not to pick up your oppa's phone call in the end? After all, you guys have known each other for 4 years and were even pretty close to each other. Indeed, there were some strange things about this whole matter. For example, the relationship status thing and not wanting his friends to ''misunderstand''. However, we do not feel that your best friend will purposely create a whole plan with his girlfriend to hurt or harrass you.

Hope this helps, or if you still need advice/consultation with us, feel free to request again :)

<3 Lady Unna