PROLOGUE

You are My Sunshine

It was already midnight when he stumbled inside his apartment unit after the party. He inserted his code and the door unlocked with a beep. His sling bag was slung on his slumped shoulder. The door automatically locked itself once he was inside. He tiredly took off his shoes, not bothering to put them on the shoe rack in the foyer. He slipped on his slippers and shuffled his way to the kitchen before suddenly stopping midway when he passed the living room.

A small smile curled on his lips and all his tiredness was washed away at the sight. But at the same time, his brows slanted downward, feeling a growing guilt. A figure was sleeping soundly on the couch. Her shoulder steadily rose and fell as she breathed. 

He slowly approached her and crouched down beside the couch. He brushed away strands of her hair and his smile broadened when he saw the face of the one he loved. No matter how many times he told her not to wait for him, she would always do the opposite. It made him feel both grateful and guilty somehow.

He tucked her hair behind her ear before gently shaking her shoulder. "Yun," he sweetly called her name. "Hayun-ah." He shook her shoulder again, but the sleeping beauty wouldn't budge.

He let out a small chuckle as his hand caressed her cheek. He took a few more seconds just silently watching her sleeping before he decided to take her to the bedroom. He slipped an arm under her neck and around her back and another arm under her thigh. He lifted her up and held her close to him. He pushed the slightly opened door to the bedroom with his foot and entered the room.

He then carefully laid her down on the bed and pulled the duvet to cover her. A satisfied smile played on his lips as he sat beside her on the edge of the bed. He her head lovingly and leaned forward, giving a peck on her forehead.

"Thank you," he said after pulling away, still her head, "and I'm sorry for making you wait." He adjusted the duvet again. "I love you." 

He was sincere with those words, yet he felt those words were not enough to show how much he loved her. No words could explain how grateful he was to have her in his life. He was beyond grateful to have her, his best friend, his wife, his sunshine.