Chapter 5

Payback time

From Kai:
Prepared something for you, check the bench.

The text was sent to Amber right after she pulled off her car at where she was told to. There were only a few people on the street before the peak hour, if someone was watching her, this someone could be either one of these passer-by, she thought. Nevertheless, she made her way to the only bench of the bus station, it was empty, nothing on it, and so she squatted down to have a look of its back. A black tape? Curiosity took her hand to remove it, and an ear piece was found on the tape. Not wasting any minute, Amber plugged the thing to her ear, determined to play this game with whoever behind this.

“Officer Liu~” again the robotic voices that irked her the most.
“Where’s Kai?” asked Amber with her fists clenched tightly.
“Pretty straight forward I see~”
“I don’t have time for this , now tell me what you want and where Kai is?”
“Easy, tiger. I figure out maybe you should go for a walk in the playground, the fresh air there might calm your nerves a bit.” Compared to the frustrated Amber, the mastermind sounded like he was enjoying the conversation.
“And what makes you think that I will listen to you.”
“You do know that I’m watching you, but at the same time, I’m watching your girl as well.”
“You motherf*cker! If you dare to lay your dirty finger on her, I swear to the god I’ll find you and I’ll kill you! You hear me?!” The last thing she wanted to do, is to put her precious princess into danger, the jerk knew her weakness and used it to blackmailing her, all she could do was holding the burning anger, even if it hurts her ego.
“Loud and clear~ told you to take a walk in the playground, your own frustration is killing you. Oh yeah, by the way, do you mind if I ask you to turn your phone off?” Although it might sounded like he is joking with the short-haired girl, but Amber knew that this is his demand that she couldn’t rejected, or Krystal and Kai would be in danger.


“Well done, Liu. Now, walk to the roadside, there’s this little camera at your 2 O’clock. All you need to do is ……to stare at it.” Feeling like a doll being played, Amber followed his ‘instruction’. 
“On the count of 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. Relax and smile.” Under the smile Amber cursed for the nth times, how she wanted to straggle the jerk to death, for playing the Amber Josephine Liu. From her peripheral vision, she noticed a heavy lorry speeding up and before she could react to it, she was grabbed by the hands of someone into the side opening of the vehicle. She struggled, but sooner feeling light headed as the masked man injected something into her neck.
Panting, her eyes opened widely from the dream and was immediately welcomed by the dazzling light in the room. With her head still spinning, she tried to move her arms, but to no avail as each were tied on the arm rest. 
A video was suddenly displayed on the white wall facing her, in the record stood a man holding a stumbling woman in a corridor back facing the camera. The video cut short when the man opened the door for both of them to enter inside.
Even when Amber is not in her fully sober state, she could tell who were the man and woman.
“Do you know who they were?” The husky voices from behind sounded so familiar for Amber, but she seemed to not remember whose those voices belonged to.
“What do you really want?” 
“Amber, Krystal cheated on you.” The masked man squatted down to meet Amber’s eyes.
“No she didn’t. Who are you?” asked the short haired girl, who was breathing irregularly at the moment.
“Amber, I’m your friend. I just want you to wake up and smell the coffee. Krystal, your girlfriend, she cheated on you, with your best friend_Kai.” A pair of hand pressed tightly on both side of her shoulders, Amber locked her gaze with the pair of eyes that stared at her intently, trying to recall back the old days she met these eyes.
“No. SHE DIDN’T.” 
“Pathetic.” With that, the masked man stood up, but when Amber thought that he was going to leave this room, a sudden stinging sensation spread on her neck area, she couldn’t help but to yelp in pain.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

3rd day since Amber went MIA, 3rd day since Krystal had her good sleep and proper meals. She applied a temporary leave on her work, which was approved by her sweet understanding dean. Jessica, who were by her side all the time, accompanied her in and out the quarter, trying to grab the latest news of the case. However, all the things were vanished together with Amber since that day, no clues, no video, not a single traceable evidence left. Everyone were started to having doubt on their once trusted leader, except Krystal and Jessica. 
“Thanks, unnie… Thank you for trusting me, trusting Amber. You are the only one that believe me when I said I don’t have a thing with Kai. I see the way they looked at me….and they thought Amber did this because of the so-called affair.” The younger Jung hugged her sister tightly, feeling the only warmth she could get right now.
“Nah, I’ve known you since you’re in your diaper. And for the stupid llama, I doubt she would have the guts to pull this kind of things off, knowing that I’m gonna kick her once I found out.” Jessica patted her sister back, joked warmly. Both of them were sitting on the Yuri’s office now, waiting for the tanned girl to bring them news about Amber.
“Guys! There is a hidden video in an anonymous email from my mail box!” Taeyeon yelled, gaining everyone’s attention in instant. Krystal and Jessica immediately rushed out upon hearing it.
In the video stood one man holding a stumbling woman in some sort like a hotel and they entered the room. Just when they thought the video would end at there, the face they were looking for in this past few days appeared on the screen. The bloodshot eyes lost their once spirited twinkles, were now replaced by hatred and anger.
“Why would you cheat, Krys?”
“Why?”
The long haired girl shook her head in disbelief, tears forcibly escaping from the edges of her soul windows.
“And you said you didn’t!” Henry, unable to suppress his anger anymore, himself to the younger Jung, attempting to land a slap on the porcelain face. It was once again being stopped by Key.
“Krystal.” Spoke Yuri in a demanding tone.
“No. I didn’t! I swear!” 
Before Krystal could make her explanation, a certain ringing tone grabs her attention, caused her to fish out her phone immediately and slide the green button.
“Amber! It’s that you?!” Upon hearing the name ‘Amber’, Henry and the rest stop shouting at each other instantly.
“No! No! I didn’t cheat on you and you know it!” Failed to control her vent up frustration, Krystal raised her voice, trying to knock some senses into Amber’s head.
“Wait, Amber. Wait! No! You can’t do this! No.” No one know what the two were talking about, but they noticed how’s Krystal expression changed from sad to horrify.
“Krystal, what did Amber said?” asked Yuri in concern.
“She said Kai is gonna get his punishment now. She’s gonna kill Kai!” Krystal’s face was pale, like she was going to faint at any moment now.
“Taeyeon, did you locate the signal?” Yuri tuned her head to the computer genius who was punching the keyboard since Krystal received the call.
“The signal comes from 133 Jinreok road. It’s an abandoned warehouse!” 


“A….Am…Amber! Stop! You’re not in your right mind now! He used you!”
The injured man grabbed a chance to grab a hold of the iron bar and used his remaining strength to pin the over raged girl down on ground, gaining himself a upper hand.
“You were my best friend! Yet you betrayed me with Krys!” Amber hissed harshly, freed her right arm to give Kai a hard elbow on his bruised bleeding face.
“He’s manipulating you!!!”
“On the count of 3, 2, 1.” Key pressed the trigger that immediately caused the planted bomb to blow off the locked door.
Wasting no time, the whole crew rushed in only to find their once admired leader raising the iron bar up wanting to land it on the beaten up Kai who was now lying lifelessly on the ground.
The warehouse was ringing with the echo of the loud gun shot, Yuri had pulled the heart breaking trigger out of reflex, and she immediately embraced by the waves of regretting.
“Amber!” Henry couldn’t stand still witnessing how the short haired girl crushed on the ground, ran himself to catch her in his arm.
Key slowly approached the breathless man, pressed his fingers to check for pulse. To his dismay, Key shook his head locking gaze with the stunned woman.
“Please…. Amber….stay with me….Just stay with me.” The traumatized long haired girl mumbled, clasping her hands tightly outside the surgery room, which was only 1 door away from her love.
In fact, everyone closed with Amber was gathering at the long corridor, fidgeted. 
Men in black suit came, Yuri’s attention were immediately drawn by those familiar faces.

“Lieutenant Kwon.” Said the man.
“Commander Choi, what’s bring you here?” 
“The higher-up decided to let us step in this case and handle the rest of it. As for your crew, I was told to inform you guys that all of you are put in stand-by mood. You know, commander Liu, turns out to be the murderer….They are worried that you guys will be emotionally influenced….So yeah….” The man flashed Yuri an apologetic smile, telling her how sorry he felt for everything that happened.
In return, Yuri gave him an understanding nod, she actually was relieved, for she was still in a horrible state, blaming herself for the gunshot even though Key told her that she did the right thing.

The red light turned green, signaling that the surgery has been completed. Krystal was the first to greet the surgeon with her tight grabs.
“How’s Amber?! How’s Amber?!” Contrast to her rush with bombarding questions, the surgeon slowly took off his mask, flashing everyone his small smile.
“Amber, she’s alright. The pullet just an inch away from her right atrium, I must say that was pretty close.” 
“C-Choiza….?” People were surprised to once again meeting their old acquaintance in the past.