A Little Story

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

"Target spotted."

SinB crawls stealthily on the wooden floor from the kitchen until she reaches the back of the big comfy chair in the living room. She holds her precious nerf gun close to her chest as she peeks at her target once more.

Ah, there she is. Her favourite target sister, Wendy.

Wendy stands by the entrance of the living room, thoroughly absorbed by whatever social media account she's logged in to and more than possibly messaging her girlfriend.

Eyes steady and hands on the trigger, SinB shoots at her sister in three successions.

Wendy gets hit once but manages to avoid the other two darts. Doesn't matter to the shooter, though. At least she got a hit this time and thats more than enough reason to celebrate.

"I got you!" SinB yells as she jumps out from behind the chair to point at her older sister then laugh raucously.

Her ever so patient older sister, however, rolls her eyes at the immature display. Wendy tucks in her phone and picks up the darts from the floor before making her way to her younger sibling. She deposits the darts on SinB's hands then ruffles her hair affectionately.

"Nice job, squirt. You should still work on your aim, though. It's too easily predictable."

SinB looks at the darts on her hand then shifts her gaze to her sister who now has her phone back on her hand as she makes way to the kitchen, probably off to bake some carrot cake that's not for her. Again. So she leaves the nerf gun on the couch -- because she does NOT want to listen to another lecture from her mom about throwing things -- and walks up the stairs.

Originally, she planned on sulking the rest of the day in her room but when she heard humming as she passed by the study, she changes her route and enters. Sulking on Jessica's lap is a better option.

"Hey mom," she greets.

Jessica looks up from the designs on her desk to watch her youngest child walk sluggishly towards her. Judging from the iconic pout on SinB's face and the exaggerated furrowing of her eyebrows, the little girl is upset about something.

"Hey there," she says as SinB climbs over to her lap.

"Hug," she demands.

Jessica complies and holds her daughter close without saying anything. Her youngest isn't usually dramatic -- tha'ts more of Wendy's specialty -- so she she secretly cherishes cute little moments like this.

"Mom?" the little girl finally talks.

"Yes?"

"Why is life so unfair?"

"Sweetie, you're six years old. What could life have done to you that is so unfair?"

SinB just burrows her face to her mother's chest and clutches on closer. Jessica adjusts her arms so that she can hold her child better while she waits for her to talk.

"Mom, can you tell me again how I got my nickname?"

A lightbulb lights up on Jessica's head. She knows what this is about but decides to play along anyway. She also makes a mental note to talk to her oldest daughter later.

"Well," she begins as she starts to SinB's hair softly, "When you were a little bit more younger and was just starting to crawl, you had the tendency to end up in your unnie's room."

SinB's heard this story a hundred times, it's not even anything special, but she would still listen to it anyway.

"One afternoon, when your sister was solving her advanced math problem set and having a hard time, you crawled up to her and started to bother her. Lucky for you, your sister thinks you're too adorable to be annoying so she played with you for a while."

"So she picked me up?"

"Mm-hm. She picked you up and tickled you like this~" Jessica says as she procedes to lightly tickle her now giggling little girl.

"And then what happened?"

The cuddled up duo had become engrossed enough to the story that they didn't notice Wendy leaning on the doorframe, listening in the whole time. Only when Wendy speaks up and continues the story do they look up and acknowledge her presence.

"And then," Wendy says, "the word problems I had been solving didn't seem to be that difficult anymore. And that was because you were there to cheer me up."

SinB looks at her imploringly.

"And you called me SinB?"

"Yes. And I called you SinB. It's childish but you were my math lucky charm."

Jesica smiles at the exchange. SinB's always looked up to her older sister and, even though they were eight years apart, Wendy's always been there for the little kid. Nowadays, however, Wendy has been spending more and more of her time with her school friends. Jessica thinks SinB might have felt a little neglected. Wendy, her precious little braniac, must have caught on.

Luckily, SinB's quite easy to placate.

"Wanna go finish up that Finding Dory puzzle, SinB squirt? We still have about 700 pieces to go through," says Wendy.

"You're not going to go out and play with Irene unnie?"

"Nope," Wendy affirms. "I'm going to play with you."

"Okay," she says as she gets off from her mom's lap and straight to Wendy's arms.

"You're too big to be carried now!" Wendy exclaims, even though she's holding on to her little sister in an upright cuddle as they make their way down to the Rec Room.

Shaking her head in amusement, Jessica reaches for her phone to send a text to her wife. Their kids are getting along so well, maybe it's time to have a new one?

 


 

An extra, because I didn't know where to insert it for it to fit in the story.

 

"Irene's not coming over?" Jessica asks her oldest daughter.

Wendy shakes her head. "She doesn't want to. At least until SinB stops shooting her chest with nerf bullets." She raises her eyebrows at her little sister, as if silently asking her to explain herself.

The little culprit looks at the grown ups in the room and blinks innocently.

"Well, my darts only stick to flat surfaces so I tried it on Irene unnie. It was an experiment!"