Shopping for Christmas (JeTi, 2Eunha)

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

OMG I'm so sorry you guys! This wasn't supposed to be published until today. I accidentally forgot to check hide so what you guys actually read was an unfinished draft. That's why it stopped at an inconvenient time. (Nobody asked but longstory short my school held the annual christmas celebration yesterday and I had too much to drink). But anywhooos, here's the finished version. <3

 


If there's one thing SinB hates about Christmas, it's her inevitable fate of having to accompany her mothers around town to shop for the holidays because apparently, Wendy unnie wants the food to be a surprise so she can't stay to help (which is a lie. SinB can't cook to save her life and Wendy's too nice to say it to her face). What grinds SinB's gears more is her mommies' insistence on scouring the whole town to buy stuff when there's a perfectly stacked mall where they can buy anything from.

Adults can be so stupid.

They're at the fourth shop that sells trinkets and SinB swears the moment her mommy Tiffany buys another jewelry just because it has pink on it, she's going to throw a tantrum because that's what mature seven year olds do when they have to prove a point. Mommy Jessica is of no help either. She's either busy indulging her wife's whims or looking for ideas for her fashion line. Really, why do they even take her along?

"Sweetheart, can you hold these for a second? I have to go take one more pair from that shelf." says Tiffany, effectively pulling her away from her thoughts.

"Mom, you already bought about ten earings," SinB says.

"Yeah, well I have a lot of people to give them to," replies Tiffany. "Besides, that studded one I bought from the other shop would look great on your aunt Taeyeon."

SinB scrunches her face. "Wouldn't mommy Jessie get mad? If you give her a gift, I mean."

"Exactly," Tiffany beams, winking at her daughter.

The young girl often wonders if she too would talk in riddles when she grows up. Adults are very weird. She ponders a little if her mommy Tiffany secretly hated her mommy Jessica. But when Jessica comes back from the back aisles of the shop with a wide grin on her face and her mommy Tiffany smiles that gentle smile and sighs a little too soft, SinB is made to think otherwise.

"Ready to pay yet?" Jessica asks her wife.

"Yep. Just need to bring these to the counter. I'll be right back," she says.

Tiffany walks away with her loot leaving Jessica and SinB standing by the necklace display. The little girl is still wondering why her mommy Tiffany wants to make her mommy Jessica mad but thought better than to ask. She does not want to be a war casualty.

This is why she hates shopping with her mothers. She's forced to listen to things she would rather not hear and now she's stuck thinking about it the whole day.

"Are you okay, cupcake?" asks Jessica noticing her daughter's rather sour mood.

Being the big, mature seven-year-old that she is, SinB immediately releases a whine before complaining about how much she hates shopping.

"We've been literally browsing through the same kind of stores and I'm really tired," she says. "And we haven't even been to the clothing store yet!" She knows she'll have to wait for another thousand years before her mothers would be done the moment they step inside a clothing store. "And we both know mommy Tiffany's just going to buy another pink Mrs. Claus dress anyway. Like every year."

Jessica manages to stiffle her laugh at the mini tantrum but there's amusement shining in her eyes. She doesn't say anything as little SinB dramatically huffs out a breath. She knows the little tyke isn't done with her rant yet.

"The worst part is that you just let her do whatever she wants," SinB says.

"How is that a bad thing?" asks Jessica.

"Because!" SinB says, her arms akimbo. "She's running around buying everything and we have to follow her. It's too tiring."

"Have you seen your mom's face? It's impossible to say no to that face," Jessica says back.

"You buy her things because of her face?" asks her daughter.

"That and the fact that I'm so in love with her I'd rather end up working all night to earn more money and losing sleep than see her not smiling." Jessica playfully pinches the girl's cheek lightly. "Don't tell her I said that, though."

"Why not?" she asks, thoroughly confused as to why her mommy Jessie would hide such a romantic thing away from her mommy Tiffany. Maybe it could even stop her mommy Tiffany from intentionally making her mommy Jessica mad.

"Just cause," her mother says and ends it there.

SinB rolls her eyes and turns to check the necklace display. Jessica has to go to the bathroom and asks her if she'd be okay by herself for a bit. The little girl nods head and instead starts looking at the shiny shimmery chains of what seemed to be gold inside the large glass case with the sticker 'Don't Lean on Glass' stuck at a corner. Really, what do people see in these things?

"Is the necklace that pretty?" asks a lilting voice beside her.

She could hve gotten a whiplash with the speed of her neck's turning towards the source of the voice. She'd know that voice anywhere. Heck, she'd know that voice even there were thousand other voices talking with it.

"Eunha-unnie!" she exclaims. "When did you get here?"

"I've actually been standing here for a little while now but you seemed to be too focused with that necklace."

"Oh, I was?"

"Yes," Eunha giggled.

"Oh..."

"The necklace must be really pretty for you to stare at it so much," teases Eunha.

"You're pretty," SinB says almost immediately before she could catch herself. "I-I mean, yeah. The...umm... necklace. Gosh." At this point, a blush runs from her cheeks up to her ears. SinB keeps her eyes closed out of sheer embarassment until she hears Eunha giggle.

"So," the older girl says as SinB opens her eyes one after the other. "Are you here for Christmas shopping too?"

Relieved with the thought that Eunha probably didn't find her weird, SinB enthusiastically nods her head and says she's here with her mothers. Eunha's here with her mom and dad, she's told. They talk for a little, the younger girl finding out just how much Eunha loved Christmas each second of their conversation as she animatedly express how nice it is to see presents under the tree.

"It's nice to know people work hard to find someone a present," says Eunha. "They love you enough to think about what to give you."

SinB doesn't really understand but her ears did pick up the words "presents", "work hard" and "love" so she flashes a wide smile and tells Eunha she thinks so, too. Entirely mesmerized by the small smile her friend gives her, SinB doesn't even notice her mommy Jessica approach them both.

"Your mom's not here yet?" asks Jessica while placing her palm on SinB's head.

Eunha looks up at Jessica, her eyes widening for a fraction of a second and her arms automatically moves to her back. SinB removes her mother's hand from her head and tries to subtly fix her hair with her fingers but ultimately fails anyway. So she does what she's always been good at. SinB pouts. When the two kids don't say anything, Jessica initiates a conversation.

"So, who's your friend?"

"Her name is Eunha unnie," SinB says. "We go to the same school and she's on a higher grade."

The gears in Jessica's head starts turning as she observes the young girl who is now bowing and introducing herself. Then all of a sudden, she sees the girl wearing white, walking down the aisle with her baby girl. She fights back a shiver and puts on forced smile, eyes zeroing in on the obviously shaken girl. 

"Hello Eunha."

Great, SinB thinks. My mother sounds like a killer from a horror movie. She wanted to bury her face on her hands or kick her mommy Jessica in the shin but figures it wouldn't look attractive so she tries to make her mom leave instead.

"Don't you want to check on mommy Tiffany and see why she's taking too long?" the younger girl says, excessively batting her lashes at her mother.

"Why? You wanna leave your friend already?" asks Jessica.

"No," SinB says through her teeth. "I just want to know what got her caught up is all."

"Probably something pink," says Jessica. "I can wait for her for forever anyway."

Knowing her mother knows her intentions and the thought that she's going to be stuck with them the whole day, SinB groans. She catches herself at the last moment and flashes a worried look at Eunha's direction.

"Erm..."

"O-oh, I uh... think my mom's calling me," says Eunha. "I better go."

SinB wants to tell her to stay because she didn't hear anyone call Eunha's name (she can hear anyone who says "Eunha" a thousand miles away because she's hopeless like that). But when she gets a hug and a small kiss on the cheek, nothing seemed to matter anymore.

"Merry Christmas, SinB." Eunha turns to Jessica and bows politely. "Merry Christmas SinB's mom."

Positively dazed, SinB reaches a hand to her cheek and another to wave a shy goodbye to the retreating figure of Eunha. Her face is warming up already. She doesn't see Jessica's frozen look nor hear Tiffany animatedly talking as she saunters towards them. She barely registers her moms holding her hands as they walk her half-draggingly towards their car.

SinB is the first one to hop out of the car the moment her mommy Jessica finds a parking space, running towards the shop and yelling something about working hard to find presents for love.

Tiffany is surprised at her daughter's sudden change in attitude.

Jessica, meanwhile, surfs through her phone to look up Eunha's parents.