Riverbank Meetings

A Healthy Cup of Crazy

A short! Because I laughed more than I should at High School Boys and Literature girl. Life is short.


 

The sky casts a deep orange glow as the wind blows softly against the short grass making them sway to the music only nature knows how to play. The water, calm and gentle, adds a sentimental atmosphere to the riverbank that Friday afternoon.

A lone girl sits curled up on her petite body as her long blonde hair sways along to the gentle blowing wind. She sits by the riverbank, a solemn expression on her face. Her eyes are trained towards the glistening water, looking at nothing in particular, schoolbag neatly tucked by her side with a 'T' dangling on a zipper. She releases a sigh.

She's been sitting here for a while.

Jessica walks slowly towards the figure who has now burried her head on folded arms, her steps softly padded by the riverbank grass and stopping only a few steps behind. The girl doesn't look up. Instead, she clutches harder at the paper she held in her hand. Jessica speaks up.

"I have a friend who likes to tell his problems to the wind."

When the sitting girl's posture tenses, Jessica knows she's paying attention. So she continues.

"He said the wind will carry his sadness away."

The girl doesn't react. Jessica shifts her weight to one foot before continuing.

"I think it's stupid." She looks at the sitting girl who now looks more relaxed. She's listening. "People should feel their sadness and understand it, not throw it away. Because only then will we be truly happy."

Silence passes and Jessica breathes out.

"What I mean to say is, it's okay to be sad. Because I think people who knows how it feels to be sad, understand what it's like, can really value happiness when it comes."

The girl lifts her head up and slowly stands up. She turns her body towards Jessica with a grateful smile on her pretty face. Jessica, in turn, gives out a smile of her own before casually turning around and walking away and back up the road, leaving the girl behind looking at her retreating figure.

Only when she's finally sure that she is nowhere near the girl does she bring both her palms on her now reddened face. She screams and whines at herself internally, fighting back tears.

"What the heeeeell. It wasn't Irene. I got the wrong girl. Why did they have to wear the same uniform. I don't even know her. Goddamnit that was embarassiiiiing. And what up with those liiiines? So uncool. Ugh. Just kill meeeeee."

Irene arrives shortly and sees a red-eared Jessica with face burried in her hands. Irene thinks she's mad at her for being late.

"Unnie, sorry I took so long. There was a sale on a nearby mart and I just had to buy them cheap."

Jessica doesn't say anything and just looks at Irene with a teary face.

"I won't be late next time. Please don't be mad at me."

"Cut your hair shorter and don't dye it blonde. It's all your fault!"

She grabs the groceries from Irene's hand and storms off towards the road to their shared house. Irene stands there dumbfoundedly for a few moments before deciding to just shrug it off and follows Jessica home.