Eight

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

Junghan was waiting for Joshua outside of his last class of the day. Joshua readjusted his backpack. "Hey, didn't expect you here."

Junghan rolled his eyes and gave a playful smirk, taking Joshua's hand in his own. "Yeah, well, I missed you. I wanted to see you." Junghan slotted his fingers between Joshua's as they walked, and didn't let go the whole way to Junghan's. Joshua listened as Junghan complained about his day, about the public transport system (which was actually pretty good), and smiled when Junghan showed him a GIF Dokyeom had sent him.

"So, what are we going to do tonight?" Joshua asked after Junghan let them both into his apartment.

Junghan shrugged and swung his bag away. It landed with a thud on the floor. "I was thinking movies and food, and we take it from there."

Joshua nodded, "Yeah, sounds good."

Junghan grinned and pulled Joshua to the living room. He gestured to a small shelf full of movies. "Take your pick, I'll watch anything."

Joshua went over and crouched down in front of the shelf to have a look at them. He closed his eyes and grabbed out a random movie, if it was rubbish he could always choose another one. He passed it to Junghan, who put it into the DVD player, then they went and sat on the couch.

"If you don't understand something, you can ask me," Junghan told Joshua as he pressed play on the remote.

Josh held his index finger up to his lips. "Shh," he pointed to the TV, "it's starting." Junghan gave Joshua a peck on the nose and snuggled into Joshua, his head resting on Joshua's shoulder.

Less than fifteen minutes into the movie, Joshua's shoulder started getting sore. He tapped Junghan. "Can you move? My shoulder hurts."

Junghan gave Joshua an apologetic kiss on the cheek and shifted so he was laying across the couch, his head in Joshua's lap.

There was an explosion on screen and Joshua realized he had no idea what was going on. He hadn't been paying attention at all. It's not that far into it, I can just watch the rest and catch up.

Except he didn't. He started running his hands through Junghan's hair and watched him mouth along to the movie's bad dialogue. Joshua smiled fondly.

He must've done something to catch Junghan's attention, because the movie was paused and Junghan turned to look at him. "Do you even want to watch the movie?"

"I did, but now I just want to stare at you. You're gorgeous, Junghan."

Junghan smiled coyly. "Really?"

Joshua nodded and ran his hand down Junghan's face, caressing his cheek. "Really Junghan."

Junghan looked very pleased for a few seconds before he gasped like he'd just remembered something. "Shua, remember the cafe this morning?"

Joshua nodded. Seungkwan had talked with Jihoon at the cash register, then happily announced to everyone that Jihoon had asked him out on a date. Vernon had been scowling the whole while, and had even requested to talk to Seungkwan alone.

"Yeah, don't get involved in Vernon and Seungkwan's business. They've been dancing around each other for as long as I've known them -- Mingyu says even longer. We've all agreed to just let them be and hope they'll sort themselves out."

"If they've been dancing around each other for so long, shouldn't someone step in? At least tell Vernon he's in love with his best friend or something."

Junghan shook his head. "Don't want to get in the way of fate or whatever."

Then, Junghan leaned up and kissed Joshua on the lips. A nice little hum of electricity filled Joshua's veins. "So, do you want to keep watching the movie or do something else?"

Joshua Junghan's hair, his fingers catching on the knots that had formed over the day. "You seemed to be enjoying it, mouthing along to each line. Play it, I'll just spend the rest of the movie staring at you."

Junghan sighed. "You're so perfect. I don't deserve you."

"I'm not perfect, just consume too much romantic media. Everyone has their faults."

Junghan sat up and faced Joshua. "Can we cut the crap and make out? We both know that's why you're staying the night -- for some action."

"What? No! Junghan, I'm here because you said you'd get lonely."

Junghan rolled his eyes. "Which is code for I haven't gotten laid in a week. We're soulmates -- there's no reason we can't just skip straight to ."

"I'm not worried about -- really! It seems kind of gross, to be honest."

Junghan grinned, his features looking amused. "Ahh, you're a . Look, we can go slow, take it easy, you can top --"

Joshua shrugged. "I don't want to have . Simple. Kissing, making out, sure. But not ."

"Really?" Junghan pouted, his lower lip jutting out ever so slightly, and widened his eyes a little. He looked almost innocent. "I can't even you off? I'm really good at it, Shua! Every man --"

"Junghan, no. I don't want -- I told you. We can kiss. But I don't --" Junghan looked so disappointed that Joshua had a hard time finishing his sentence. Soulmates we're supposed to make each other happy. "-- want anything ual. You seem really nice, and I'd like to get to know you better."

Junghan's appearance brightened. "So you want to get to know me better before we screw? Sure, no problem. I can wait." Junghan leaned forward and pressed his lips against Joshua's, tracing his tongue along Joshua's lips.

Joshua pulled back. "No, I mean I don't -- " He sighed, giving up for now, Junghan wasn't listening. "I'm just not interested in ."

Junghan's hand trailed down Joshua's stomach, stopping to trace small patterns along the top of Joshua's jeans. "That's because you're a , you just don't know how good it feels."

Joshua let Junghan keep tracing patterns; it felt really nice, almost calming. "No, like, even when I was younger and everybody else was getting interested in I wasn't. Why bother? I have perfectly good hands if I ever get pent up or whatever."

Junghan chuckled. " feels so much better though. Like, I can't compare it to anything." Junghan slid a hand under the hem of Joshua's shirt and started tracing patterns on his bare skin.

"I'm sure that's probably true, but apparently drugs can give you a really nice feeling but I'm not interested in any of those, either."

Junghan groaned. "It's not the same. Drugs have bad effects, too. is all good -- except for your first time bottoming, but after that it's all good. Unless you're into the stuff Jun is."

Joshua shrugged. "That's nice but --"

Junghan gasped. "You're a church kid! Oh my god, you were probably taught about chastity until marriage or you'd go to hell or something traumatic like that."

"Abstinence until marriage, Junghan. But that's kind of old fashioned. My mum more stressed waiting until I met both of my soulmates."

"That might be ages away," Junghan complained. "But," he shrugged, "if you want to wait until you can have with both of us, I can understand. You said making out was fine?" Joshua nodded. Junghan smiled and a stripe up Joshua's throat. "Doesn't mean I feel the same, but I get it."

Joshua decided to just go along with that and hope they didn't meet their other soulmate soon. At least until he could get Junghan to understand what he actually meant.

They spent the night kissing and tickling each other, Junghan suddenly stopping every now and then to complain about something that happened in the movie playing in the background or something one of his professors had said over the course of the week.

They fell asleep tangled in each other on the couch. When Joshua woke up the next morning with some of Junghan's hair in his mouth, Junghan's nasty morning breath being exhaled right into his nose, and Junghan sleeping peacefully on top of him, he thought it was something he could, maybe, get used to.

The smell of Korean food permeated through the air and Josh's stomach grumbled. "Junghan," he called softly in an attempt to wake up the man on top of him. "Junghan, wake up." He tried to shake Junghan lightly.

"He sleeps like the dead normally, just push him off and get up," a woman's voice called from the kitchen. "Then come in here and get some breakfast." Joshua assumed it must be Junghan's mother and marveled at her ability to hear him when he'd been so quiet.

Joshua struggled his way out from under Junghan, carefully untangling their legs, and made his way to the kitchen. Junghan's mum passed him a bowl of food.

"Hope you don't mind leftovers."

"No, leftovers are fine! It smells delicious."

Junghan's mum smiled and led Joshua to the dining room, a bowl of food in her own hands. They ate in near silence for the first few moments, just studying each other. Junghan's mother was beautiful, or would have been if she didn't look so tired.

"You're just as handsome as Junghan described you," she eventually said. "You wouldn't believe how relieved I was last night when I got home and saw you both asleep on the couch -- I worry about Junghan sometimes with how many nights he spends out. It's almost as bad when I see a man nearly twice his age walk out of his bedr-"

"Mum, the oldest guy was only thirty four, I think, and he didn't come over," Junghan stated. He walked over to his mother, wrapped his arms around her shoulders, and gave her a kiss on the cheek. "Is dad home?"

Mrs Yoon shook her head. "No, his flight got delayed. He'll be back this afternoon."

Junghan's expression twisted into one of disgust and annoyance. "Of course his plane was delayed. It's always 'delayed'. Tell him to come up with a better excuse next time."

"Hannie, not in front of your guest. We'll talk about this later, OK?"

Junghan rolled his eyes and hummed. "Yeah, when dad's here." Then he sat down on Joshua's lap. "Morning Shua," he said brightly. He kissed Josh, his eyes slipping closed, and Joshua tried to ignore the feeling he'd heard a conversation he shouldn't. Instead, he focused on the fact Junghan was trying to shove his tongue down his throat in front of Junghan's mother.

 

***

 

4 Oct 

12:00 am

u kno wat day today is?

12:02 am

Sunday. Can't you just check your phone/a calendar?

12:03 am

i thnk u need 2 eat, u seem grmpy. or cam dwn on th sass, or sklwrk. lyk, take a break n fap or sumthin - jun

12:07 am

Hello, Jun. Junghan, why's Jun with you so early in the morning?

12:08 am

[Image attached]

were gonna get drunk

12:09 am

well, i am

jun only drinks wine

12:10 am

That looks like a lot of alcohol for one person. What's the occasion?

12:12 am

ma bday

im getting old

ill look afta him, dnt wrry - jun

12:13 am

Happy Birthday, then

Thanks Jun, I guess.

12:14 am

no shua i want u lookin after me!

im at juns, pls come

we havent started yet -- we can pick u up

12:16am

I'll pass, but thanks for the offer. You're messy enough as it is, let alone drunk

12:16 am

hes whinin, were in th car. b ther in 20. ill call wen were out front - jun

 

Joshua sighed and set down his phone. Junghan was a handful and he didn't think he had the energy to deal with him right then. It was just past midnight -- what was Junghan thinking? Joshua had studying to do, he couldn't drop everything to watch Junghan get drunk for his birthday.

 

12:18 am

never mind, you can nurse me back to health tomorrow

help me get over my hangover, b a good soulmate

ur probly busy anyway

12:19 am

sorry for being selfish

u still go to church right?

pls pray for my soul

12:20 am

dnt wrry, i jst took his fone off him. ill giv it bak 2 him 2moro - jun

12:22 am

Thank you Jun, you're a lifesaver.

12:25 am

i got my phone back. cant believ ud betray me like this, shua. i expect it from jun, but ur my soulmate. i trusted u. were comin to get u. i need to teach u the importance of me havin my phone

12:26 am

srry. i tried. u get 2 c hell in <30min

 

Joshua threw his phone onto his bed. What had he gotten himself into with Junghan? He almost wished he'd just stayed in LA. He picked his phone back up and called Junghan.

"Hey Shua! You getting ready? We're just going to be at Jun's, so wear whatever you sleep in."

"Junghan, I can't go out tonight. I have things to do, I have to be up early tomorrow for church. I have studying to get done. I can't just spend the night watching you drink."

"Shua! You're so boring, come on it'll be fun. And besides -- it's technically morning."

"I'll make you a deal -- I miss tonight, and --"

"You owe me a favour, remember?"
"I'll send you a selfie."

Junghan made a noise of surprise. "Like, nudes? Or just shirtless?"

"OK, no selfie. I'll uh, look after you this afternoon!"

Junghan scoffed. "That was already part of the plan."

"I'll cook you food. Breakfast in bed, American style -- pancakes, eggs and bacon, sausages, toast. You name it."

"I do love being fed. You'll be feeding it to me too, right?"

"Of course. And I'll play you a song on the guitar and serenade you, and I'll give you a massage. Back massage, hand massage, foot massage, whatever you want." Joshua was getting desperate.

Junghan hummed. "I do love getting pampered. Let's review; breakfast in bed -- which you feed me; a serenade lasting no less than four minutes accompanied by acoustic guitar; a foot massage; and, you hold my hair back when I puke my guts up."

"Yep. All that for me to be able to stay in tonight," Joshua agreed.

"And a shirtless selfie, with your face in it."

"What? No. Just my face."

"Collar bones and up, collarbones exposed."

Joshua sighed. "How about a fitted shirt, my face, collarbones covered?"

Junghan groaned. "Shua, you're killing me."

"White fitted shirt." People liked white fitted shirts, right?

"Fine. But I expect the photo by two am. No photoshop, no make up, decent lighting. Deal?"

"Deal."

"See you in the afternoon, Shua!"

 

***

 

Sunday 4 October 2015

Hi Mom,

I'm sorry it's been so long since I emailed, I've been busy with Junghan. It's his birthday today -- he got really drunk early this morning so now I'm at his friend's apartment looking after him. He's so hungover and acting like such a big baby -- it's difficult not to laugh.

Things at college are pretty good so far -- don't feel bad, I'll get used to all the Korean. I was joking about you redoing my room, of course I plan to visit you! You still don't need to keep all my stuff, though. Think of all the space you'll have if you get rid of some of it.

I don't have any pictures of Junghan yet. But, tomorrow I'll make sure to take a photo and send it to you.
Sorry the email was so late.

Love you

- Joshua

Message sent

Joshua pocketed his phone, blowing out a small puff of air. He was sat on Jun's nice couch in his nicely decorated apartment, trying to waste time until Junghan called out for him again from Jun's room.

"You can leave for about half an hour if you want," Jun announced as he sat down on his couch next Joshua. "He's out like a light."

"I'll stay, if that's OK -- just in case. He can be pretty demanding."

Jun smirked. "He's got you wrapped around his little finger already."

"Is that bad? We're soulmates -- nothing wrong with wanting to keep him happy."

"I guess not," Jun hummed. "Make sure you stay honest though, don't give in on everything bunny wants."

Joshua nodded, wondering if Jun was talking about anything in particular.
"Wait, bunny?"

Jun nodded, "Yeah, it's my nickname for him."

"Why?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Joshua shook his head. Jun snickered. "When you know Junghan well enough, it'll make sense. I'm not ruining anything for you."

There was a groan and retching from Jun's room, and Josh took it as his cue to stand up -- if Junghan was vomiting he'd want someone to hold his hair back.

So much for half an hour.

"Shua?" Junghan asked when Joshua closed the door behind him.

"Yes?" Joshua asked, climbing onto Jun's bed to to hold Junghan's hair back.

"Can you get me a glass of water?"

Joshua rubbed Junghan's back comfortingly, then squeezed his shoulder. "Of course, I'll be right back." He shifted to get off Jun's bed.

"I changed my mind, can you give me a massage? I'm sore all over," Junghan whined.

Joshua moved so he could reach Junghan's back from a better angle and started massaging. Junghan groaned and leaned into Joshua's hands.

"You're so good at this, I bet you're great with your hands," Junghan moaned after a while.

"I guess? I mean, I play --"

"Shh, Shua, I've got a headache. Don't talk about that stuff unless you're going to finger me."

"Does Jun even have lube?"

Junghan laughed. "Of course he's got lube -- doesn't everyone? But seriously shut up unless you're going to screw me -- I'm so damn right now." Joshua took his hands off Junghan's shoulders.

"Don't stop though, I'll live. Give it another fifteen minutes before I start sounding desperate though."

Joshua continued the massage, amazed at his soulmate. Junghan didn't seem to have a filter when he was completely sober; he was somehow even worse hungover. Josh never wanted to see drunk Junghan.

"Yeah, you can stop now. Thank you so much. Can you cuddle me while I go back to sleep?"

"What if you vomit all over me?"

Junghan pointed to his bucket. "I think I'm empty -- nothing came out last time. Please Shua? I don't wanna be alone."

Joshua consented and quickly found himself entangled with Junghan under Jun's blankets, Junghan's lips against his throat, the quietest little snores emitting from Junghan.

 

 

===========

A/N:

I really wanted to get this up quicker, but I couldn't get the conversation about Joshua not being interested in right.