Three

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

When the car pulled up at the Chois' house -- while everybody else was taking off their seatbelts and getting out of the car -- Joshua lifted his hips to pull out the piece of paper Junghan had slipped into his pocket.. He added the number to his contacts and saved it as "Junghan".

 

26 Sep

3:33 pm

Hey, it's Josh! Just got back to the Chois. Safe

3:33 pm

omg ur so formal. liten up. im ur soulmate

3:34 pm

and i better not be saved as junghan in ur phone

make it sumthin cute

 

Joshua shook his head, a fond smile playing at his lips. Of course Junghan was the type to message lazily. Joshua didn't understand Korean text talk, but he could kind of decipher what Junghan meant. He decided to look up common Korean text slang later. But what do I change his contact to? Should I ask him to pick something?

"Joshua, you have to get out the car so I can lock it." Mrs Choi broke Josh's train of thought. He undid his seatbelt and climbed out the car, closing the door firmly behind him.

"Sorry, Mrs Choi, I promised a friend I'd message them when I was back here."

Mrs Choi chuckled. "Finally a kid that can close a car door without slamming it," the car beeped, signalling it was locked, "and who messages people when he says he will. Maybe you could teach my two a few things."

Joshua and Mrs Choi started walking towards the house. When he stepped inside, Joshua could hear a TV blaring in another room.

"Joshua, could I have a word in the kitchen?" Mrs Choi asked while they slipped off their shoes. Joshua nodded, wondering what she could possibly want to talk to him about -- he hadn't been there very long and had made sure to be as respectful as possible -- and followed her through to the kitchen.

He stood in the doorway and watched as Mrs Choi checked the cupboards and fridge. "Don't worry, it's nothing bad. I just want to make sure you're settling in OK, and see if there's anything my husband and I could do to help," she explained.

That made sense, Joshua supposed. His mother was an old friend of Mr Choi's, it made sense they wanted him to be comfortable while he stayed with them.

"Come in, sit down!" she encouraged. "You always look so unsure and awkward."

Joshua hesitated, there weren't any chairs or stools he could sit on. Mrs Choi must've noticed, because she gestured to the kitchen counter. "Just sit on the counter, it isn't like my own children don't."

Joshua boosted himself up onto the counter, feeling uncomfortable about it. Sitting on the kitchen bench back home was always something he'd gotten in trouble for if he'd ever gotten caught. It was a pretty gross idea, sitting where you prepared food.

"We've got a few chairs around that I can bring in sometime for you to sit on, if you want?" Mrs Choi offered.

"Yes, that'd be nice. Sitting on the counter around an adult's kind of weird, mom always scolded me for it."

Mrs Choi chuckled, and moved over the dishwasher to unstack it. "Oh, Joshua, there's always going to be things that feel weird when you do them around adults. Then you realise you're a full grown adult that does taxes and drives kids everywhere." She shook her head. "Anyway, how are you settling in?"

Joshua nodded. "Still getting used to everything. I'm sure it won't take long, especially with starting college here on Monday. That'll make things feel more normal, having some sort of schedule."

Mrs Choi made a noise to show she was listening as she moved to put away a few pots and pans. "Sometimes a schedule is all you need to feel more comfortable. I also want to discuss a few house rules with you. The biggest rule is no illegal drugs or drug paraphernalia in my house."

Joshua nodded, that was fair and wouldn't be an issue.

"The next one is not to play loud music after Sofia's bedtime. And don't play violent or overly angry music loudly, either. Other than that, feel free to play your music loudly and eat whatever you want from the kitchen. If you want to have a friend or two over I don't mind, and as long as they're adults you guys can have a few drinks in your room. Most of anything else is just standard; don't run inside, no swearing at anyone, don't wander around ."

Mrs Choi went back to dishwasher and started stacking it. "You mother told my husband and I that you met your soulmate?" she enquired politely.

"One of my soulmates, yeah. He's umm, one of Vernon's friends -- Junghan," Joshua supplied.

"He's a nice young man, always keeping the younger boys out of trouble. Polite, too." She sighed wistfully. "I remember when I met Hansol's father. It was such an exciting feeling, knowing he was the person I was made for. It was so easy, getting to know each other. By the time we'd known each other for a month it felt like years." She smiled fondly, before straightening up. "Any ideas for dinner?"

Joshua shook his head. "I'll eat most things."

Mrs Choi shook her head, amused. "They all say that Joshua, then you pass them a plate and they're picking at it. Go on, out you get. Go spend all afternoon on the phone to Junghan," she shooed him.

He hopped of the bench, wincing when he landed on the wrong part of his foot, and headed to his room. He grabbed one of his textbooks and laid on his bed. He thought he should at least try go over his textbooks while he messaged Junghan.

 

3:57 pm

So, what should I change your contact to?

3:57 pm

do I really need to help u??

cant u b cute on ur own

3:58 pm

suggest things

let me c ur creativity

 

Joshua paused to think. Maybe he could make a pun out of Junghan's name? Jung... Han... Why was this so hard? A pun out of them being soulmates?

 

3:59 pm

Please. I really can't think of anything. What am I saved as in yours?

4:00 pm

shua

4:01 pm

Shua? And you said something cute.

4:01 pm

omg u typ so slo

hang on, im calling

 

Of course I type slowly, I'm still getting used to the Korean keyboard. Joshua waited for his phone to ring. As soon as he heard it vibrate he picked it up.

"I type slowly because I write correctly. And I'm still slow with hangeul."

Junghan laughed. "Sorry, forgot about the hangeul thing. I'll try be more patient. You know, I think I prefer calling, though. You're voice is so nice and smooth, like melted chocolate or something."

Joshua rolled over so he was laying on his stomach. "Can you type normal Korean, too? I don't understand text talk."

"Like, type how I speak normal Korean?" Junghan groaned. "It takes so long! How are you meant to ever understand it if I baby you?"

Joshua sighed. "Fine, I'll just look it up. Anyway, what am I supposed to save you as?"

"Can't you make an English joke with my name?"

Joshua shook his head, even though Junghan couldn't see it. "I can't think of anything besides 'honey' which is a term couples use," Joshua explained.

"So? Put me down as that."

"OK, I'll change it to 'honey'."

Junghan squealed on the other side. "Yes! I'm down as something cute!"

Joshua found himself laughing at Junghan's reaction. "That was so over the top. I've gotta study to make sure I'm up to date with my classes."

"Aww, can you stay on the line so we can talk? I can explain words you don't understand to you," Junghan begged.

Joshua grinned. "I think you'll just distract me. Besides, I have the internet."

"I promise I'm much better than the internet. What are you studying, anyway?"

"Nutrition. It's important."

Junghan groaned, and there was some rustling, which Joshua assumed was Junghan shifting. "No, I retract my offer. Hang up now -- nutrition is boring."

Joshua smiled. "OK then. I'll message you once I've gotten a fair chunk through this textbook. Goodbye."

"Study well!" Junghan encouraged before hanging up. Joshua threw his phone to the side and grabbed his textbook, opened it to a random chapter, and began to read.

Who knows how much longer, he heard a knock on his door. "Come in."

The door opened to reveal Sofia. "My mom wants you in the kitchen," she said before backing out, leaving the door open behind her.

Joshua laid the book on his bed, cover up to keep his page, and followed Sofia to the kitchen. He was hit by the smell of garlic and cooking meat.

"Smells delicious, Mrs Choi," he complimented.

"It's only half done. Can you go tell the boys they can eat in Hansol's room tonight? It's been a while since they had quality time alone together without any of their friends and I don't want to interrupt them."

"Sure thing, Mrs Choi."

Joshua made his way to Vernon's room. He heard them talking, but couldn't make out any distinct words. He waited for a lull in the conversation before knocking. Without waiting for an answer, he poked his head in. The two boys were seated on Vernon's bed, Vernon's laptop in front of them.

"Your mum said you and Seungkwan could eat in your room tonight. Something about it being too long since you two had 'quality time alone'? I'll bring in dinner for you two when it's done."

Vernon made a gesture of acknowledgement. "Yeah, sure, thanks. Any idea what she's cooking?"

Joshua shrugged. "Can't tell yet, but it smells good." Then he left, closing the door behind him, and headed back to the kitchen. "I told them I'd take dinner in to them," he told Mrs Choi. She nodded, and Joshua went back to his room to read more of his textbook.

His phone vibrated before he read past the first line, and Joshua glanced over at. A message from Junghan.

 

5:12 pm

shua im bored

stop studying, i want to chat

pls, um gonna die from boredom

5:13 pm

If I don't read my textbooks I'll be behind when I start classes on Monday

5:13 pm

if u keep studying you won't b behind me anytime soon

 

Joshua had to take a moment to think of how to respond to that. He didn't want to be behind Junghan, or anyone really, anytime soon, if ever. But he couldn't say that, could he?

 

5:16 pm

Are you trying to t or something?

5:17 pm

aww shua, that took you so long to reply!!

did I embarrass u?

5:18 pm

and no, i'm not trying to t. if u think thats timg uv clearly never dun it bfore

but i can totally send u sumthin hot if u want

u want a pic?

 

Joshua wondered how someone could be so forward.

 

5:20 pm

You caught me off guard, is all. I'll pass on the pictures and ts; I'm trying to concentrate. How do you type so quickly?

5:20 pm

just lots of practise typing, I guess

u sure don't want anything?

5:21 pm

I'm sure. I really need to concentrate

 

When Joshua didn't get a text back immediately, he figured Junghan must've found something to entertain himself with. Well, that's my biggest distraction gone for now.

Sometime later Sofia swung by to tell him dinner was ready, and he delivered Vernon and Seungkwan's to them before grabbing a plateful of spaghetti and meatballs for himself.

"It's not fair Joshua gets to eat in his room and I can't," Sofia whined while Joshua was rifling through the kitchen cupboard for parmesan cheese.

Joshua heard someone sigh. "He's an adult, and he doesn't spill sauce on his carpet," Mr Choi said. There was a noise of complaint before Mrs Choi cut in.

"Sofia, last time I let you eat dinner in your room your brother had to get mashed potato off the ceiling. You aren't a small child, I don't even understand how it got up there."

Joshua stifled a chuckle as he pulled out the grated parmesan cheese. He went back to where he'd put his plate on the kitchen bench, and lazily shook some over his pasta.

"Josh, could you please pass that to me once you're done?" Mr Choi asked. Joshua nodded and slid the small container of cheese to him. Then, Josh picked up his plate and carried it to his room. He ate it on his bed while skimming through his textbook. After about forty five minutes Sofia came in with three bowls of cake and ice cream; she put them down on one Joshua's set of drawers.

"Two of them are for my bro and Seungkwan, so be sure to deliver them quickly, alright?" She instructed before turning on her heel and marching out of Joshua's bedroom. Joshua turned his textbook over as he got off his bed and picked up two of the bowls. When he entered Vernon's room he caught them dancing of all things.

At least they're keeping fit, he told himself as he put the bowls of dessert down on Vernon's bedside table and collected their dinner dishes. Joshua took them back to the kitchen and rinsed the dishes off before heading back to his room and burying his nose in his textbook again.

Sometime later he noticed he was four chapters from where he'd started off and sat up to check the time on his phone. 9:23. He sighed and rubbed his eyes; he still wasn't too great with hangeul. He deserved a short break -- he'd spent hours reading the textbook.

Joshua pulled his laptop out from underneath his bed and booted it up. An esipode or two of the anime he'd started before coming to South Korea would be just what the doctor ordered. Except two episodes turned into half a dozen, and before Joshua knew it he was finishing up the most recent episode. The clock in the corner of the screen told him it was past one thirty am.

He sang jumbled nonsense along to the tune of the closing credits, and powered down his laptop when it was over. He rubbed his eyes with the heels of his hands, and got up to turn off the light. His knees protested and his back ached from being haunched over for so long, so he stretched.

He felt the unmistakable heaviness in his bladder that signalled having to pee. Joshua made his way slowly and cautiously to the bathroom -- he didn't want to bump into anything.

When he finished up he found he'd used the last of the roll, a few measly sheets still clinging to it. And he had no idea where the toilet paper was kept. He could only hope Vernon and Seungkwan were still awake so he could ask them.

He crept his way back through the house, being careful to stick to the walls and feel his way around before stepping anywhere, and made it to Vernon's room without incident. There was a crack of light creeping out from under the doorway, so Joshua knocked lightly. When he didn't get an answer he opened the door slightly -

To reveal Vernon and Seungkwan sleeping peacefully, pressed close together so neither would fall off Vernon's single bed. Vernon was holding Seungkwan to his chest, his forehead against the back of Seungkwan's neck. Seungkwan's head was pillowed on Vernon's forearm.

Joshua smiled, they were too cute.

He noticed Vernon's laptop had fallen to the floor, so he picked it up and gently placed it on Vernon's desk before backing out of the room. He flipped the lightswitch as he the swung door closed.

Still no closer to toilet paper.

He went back to the bathroom for another search and saw the toilet roll had been replaced. He shrugged and made his way to his bed, stubbing his toe on something and bumping into a doorway on his way.

 

 

============

A/N:

I promise jihan will start happening in the next few chapters. I'm also pretty sure I've got the POV thing sorted out. I'll write Junghan or Seungcheol POV to give insight into their lives and thoughts/emotions on things, but won't have too much plot advancement happen in those chapters.

 

You guys will figure it out as it they appear, and if it's crap and you guys think they don't add anything/you guys don't like them you'll be able to skip them without worrying about not understanding things. (Hopefully, if I do my job as the writer of this fic decently.)