Nineteen

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

Junghan bounced into the cafe the next day. "Jun, you'll never guess what happened!"

Jun sighed. "Can this wait? Look how busy it is right now."

Junghan looked around -- it was unusually busy for a Sunday. The boss's boyfriend was even there waiting tables.

"I'll be at a table when you're done," Junghan told him, already making his way to the table farthest away from the rest of the customers.

Jun hummed. "I'll get to you when I can."

It wasn't much later that Jun sat down opposite him, a cup of coffee in hand. He placed the cup down in front of Junghan.

"You look like you're glowing, what happened?"

Junghan couldn't help the smile that spread across his face. "I got laid. Seungcheol's even better at than he is at kissing."

"And Joshua?"

"He was really nervous, I think. He didn't do much -- but I was right! All his years of guitar playing definitely paid off," Junghan wiggled his eyebrows.

Jun wrinkled his nose. "I don't want the nasty details. Especially not at work."

Junghan sighed. "I still can't believe we had . I thought I was dreaming until I woke up this morning to the message I did."

Jun raised an eyebrow. "Did Joshua learn to t?"

Junghan snorted, pulling out his phone. "Seungcheol." He opened it to the message and shoved it in Jun's face.

"You probably shouldn't be so eager to show off your soulmate's hard on."

Junghan locked his phone. "He said he dreamed about yesterday."

Jun pretended to gag. "When did you develop such a crap idea of romance? That photo was not romantic."

Junghan rolled his eyes. " trumps romance."

Jun groaned. "I hate you."

"Just because you can't get any."

"My soulmate's seventeen! He's a child, he shouldn't be having !" Jun protested, looking outraged.

Junghan shook his head teasingly. "You'll just have to wait then, won't you?"

Jun's face twisted in disgust. "Minghao's my soulmate, not just someone custom made for me to have with."

Junghan scoffed. "Is that how you think I see Shua and Cheollie?"

Jun nodded. "You spend more time talking about having with them than you spend doing anything else. What other conclusion am I supposed to draw?"

Junghan remembered to yesterday when Joshua had asked him not to say that he loved him.

"Really?"

Jun gave an unimpressed hum as he stood up. "You look troubled, bunny," he said, Junghan's cheek in an almost patronising manner.

Junghan shook his head. "It doesn't seem like that, does it?"

Jun folded his arms, an eyebrow cocked. "Bunny, your first thought once you met Joshua was boning him. When you found out he'd never had before you got excited about deflowering him. Your first instinct when you and Joshua got it confirmed Seungcheol's your soulmate was to take him back to yours to screw "

Junghan's eyebrows knitted together. It wasn't meant to come across that way, Junghan just liked having . He was used to having plenty of it -- it only made sense he'd start getting a little antsy about it when his soulmates were so good looking.

"You're seeing the pattern, right?"

Junghan nodded, a lump growing in his throat.

 

***

 

"Jihoon?" Seungcheol asked, laid out on Jihoon's carpet.

"Shut up, I'm trying to write lyrics here," Jihoon snapped from his office chair.

Seungcheol sat up, an eyebrow raised. Jihoon was spinning around on his chair, trying to get it to go up and down as he spun.

"Getting the creative juices flowing?" Seungcheol asked, his tone teasing.

Jihoon came to a stop. He shot Seungcheol a glare before pointedly picking up his pen and humming a tune.

"You've been doing the same since you were fifteen; I know you, Hoonie."

Jihoon groaned and resumed spinning around on his chair. " you want?"

Seungcheol sighed and flopped back down. "What's it feel like when you have ?"

There was a pause.

"Haven't we talked about this?"

"Probably. But I want to talk about it again."

There was the sound of what was probably Jihoon's elbow smacking into his desk. "It's fine? Why you wanna talk about it now?"

Seungcheol's eyes traced along a weird crack in Jihoon's ceiling. "I had with Junghan and Joshua."

Jihoon whistled. "Fun?"

Seungcheol nodded. "Joshua didn't seem to think so, though. I asked him and he said wasn't that high up on his to do list. I know you're not really into dating." Seungcheol shrugged.

"Because I don't do mushy feelings, you know that. I like when I can get some."

Seungcheol rolled over. "So you can't help?"

Jihoon shrugged. "Maybe he's always had other things to focus on? I don't bloody know, ask him."

"You think I didn't try yesterday?"

"You probably fell asleep before he could get comfortable talking about it. We both know how much ing tires you out."

"When else should I ask, then?"

Jihoon cackled. "Not my problem."

Seungcheol groaned. "You're my best friend -- help a bro out."

", you really need help. Fine, uh, try asking when you're alone with him next? Or look it up or some ?"

Seungcheol sat up. "Thanks for noticing I'm serious here. The would I look up?"

"Try 'my soulmate's bored during '?"

Seungcheol snorted. "The internet suggested I try 'spicing up our life'."

Jihoon shook his head. "If he was a that's not gonna help."

"Tell me about it."

"Try using different search terms?" Jihoon suggested.

"Like?"

Jihoon pursed his lips. "I'll think about that and get back to you."

Seungcheol sighed. He hoped Jihoon would get back to him quickly.