Eleven

Grey Smoke, Strange Stains, and Salty Faces

Joshua was sitting on one of the recliners in the Chois' living room, idly watching the episode of SpongeBob that Vernon and Sofia were watching. He pulled his eyes from the TV towards his MacBook. He was supposed to be emailing his mum, but he'd somehow never seen this episode before and he needed to know --

Mrs Choi walked in and sat down on the couch cushion between her children. She eyed the purple bruises on Vernon's neck and jawline before glancing to Joshua, her eyes asking if he knew anything about the hickeys. Joshua shrugged, even though he guessed they'd come from that Chan kid Vernon had been hanging around, and cast his eyes down to his laptop screen.

 

Sat, 10 October 2015

Hi Mom,

Yes, I told you Junghan was handsome! We can't drop everything to come see you, we're broke college students. And Junghan would be completely lost in America. If that time works for you we can video chat then no problem. He's not even your son in law yet and you're already doting on him! Way to make your only child feel loved, mom.

I'm doing fine with college, don't worry. Yes, I found out whose job it is to help me out until I get used to things.

I met Junghan's dad. He's not what I was expecting -- but nothing so far seems to have been. I'm not sure if I like him or not, but I'm dating Junghan, not his dad. I'm having dinner at one of Junghan's friends' places -- Jun. Have I talked about him yet? I don't know him too well but he seems nice enough.

I'm getting dirty looks from Vernon and his little sister, they're trying to watch TV and my typing must be loud. So, I'll email you again soon.

I love you mom!

Miss you heaps,

-- Joshua

Message sent

 

Joshua closed his laptop and stood up, then headed back to his room -- there was probably something that needed doing to distract him from a sudden wave of homesickness.

While he was busying himself with tidying his room, his phone vibrated in his pocket. He pulled it out; a message from Jun.

 

10 Oct

6:24 pm

heyy, im bord n junghan dnt wnna tlk

6:26 pm

What about your soulmate?

6:26 pm

busy

6:27 pm

So I'm third choice?

6:27 pm

yea

u rnt doin much r u?

6:28 pm

No, I'm just tidying my room

6:28 pm

cool. u wnna come 2 cafe? shift is v quiet

6:31 pm

There are a couple things I should probably do after I finish tidying my room, sorry. Find something else to do at the cafe, like clean.

6:32 pm

u sound lyk junghan

gdbye

 

Joshua put his phone back in his pocket and smiled, then went back to folding and putting away his washing.

 

 ***

 

The next day Joshua found himself at the cafe, because what else did he have to do with his time beside watch Junghan work?

He had his laptop sitting in a bag tucked safely under his leg, and a notebook, pencil, and eraser on the table. He erased a mark he made -- that note would sound rubbish there.

"What's that?" Junghan asked as he put a cup of coffee down on Joshua's table, a hint of amusement slipping into his tone.

"You've never seen sheet music before?" Joshua drew in a new mark on the page.

"Of course I have. That just looks really messy -- what does all of it mean? How can you tell what to do when?"

Joshua smiled fondly and grabbed his coffee, taking a sip of it. "This one's not that hard, I've just heaps of mistakes because I'm trying to do in my head instead of with an actual instrument. I learned to read sheet music when I was younger so..." he shrugged and grinned smugly.

Junghan scoffed and squeezed Joshua's shoulder. "Of course you can read sheet music. What can't you do? But why are you writing music right now, you're getting a degree in nutrition, not music."

"It's fun, if I'm in the right mood --"

Joshua was interrupted by Jihoon stopping right next to Junghan, four plates of food loaded in his arms. "Junghan, this is what good service looks like. I'd tell you to get your arse in the kitchen and bring out some more food, but this was the last of it." He flashed a sugary smile that looked out of place after his almost rough tone and glided off to a different table.

Junghan smiled and sat down in the chair opposite Joshua. "Can you teach me how to read that?" he asked, motioning to the notebook in front of Joshua.

"Shouldn't you be working?"

Junghan shook his head, "That was Jihoon's way of telling me he's got everything under control and that I can take a break."

"How long?" Joshua pulled out his phone to check the time -- he'd scheduled to video call his mum pretty soon.

"Fifteen minutes or until it gets busier?"

Joshua leaned closer to Junghan. "My mum'll be calling me soon, you want to join? She wants to meet you, and it only seems fair after me meeting your parents."

Junghan's eyes cast down and he worried his bottom lip between his teeth. "Really? What if she doesn't like me? What if I can't communicate with her?"

Joshua brought a hand up hold Junghan's face, and ran a thumb along Junghan's cheekbone. "She already loves you, and if it turns out she doesn't it isn't a big deal -- you're dating me, not her. She speaks Korean, don't worry."

Junghan nodded, still biting at his lip, and Joshua leaned in to peck Junghan's nose. Joshua's phone vibrated in his hand. Junghan gave him a mischievous smile before tapping the button to accept Joshua's mother's call.

"Oh, Joshua, it's him!" Joshua's mum exclaimed as she waved excitedly. Joshua nodded and told her of course it was.

"I can't believe how good you two look together! Oh, it's a pity two men can't have children -- you'd give me the most adorable grandkids," she cooed in Korean.

Junghan perked up, his features arranged into a charming smile. "We'll make sure to adopt the cutest kids when the time comes around, Mrs Hong."

"Enough about grandkids, that's years away. Junghan, tell me about yourself! The only things I know about you are through Joshua's emails."

Joshua's mum listened as Junghan told her about himself. She asked questions, probing for information and details. Joshua had to step in once after she asked something that had Junghan squirming in his seat. Eventually, Junghan had to get back to work -- a gaggle of kids who could only be twelve or thirteen years old had wandered in.

"What do you think mum?" Joshua asked, his heart was beating in his throat and his stomach was below his knees.

Joshua's mum paused. Joshua searched the background while he waited, saw she was in the living room. Spotted the vacuum cleaner tucked up against his recliner.

"He's charming, has a nice smile. The type of nice boy I imagined you'd stay away from."

Joshua felt the corners of his mouth lift. "Yeah, I'm always thinking how different we are. But, we're getting used to each other."

"You know, I'm thinking of things I could do with your room. Especially after seeing you two together," Joshua's mum joked. "I don't think you'll be home anytime soon."

Joshua nodded absently. He could feel the call coming to an end and was struggling to fight the tears pooling in his eyes.

"I've got to go, it's getting late." Joshua's mum punctuated her statement with a yawn. Joshua could see her eyes twinkling with unshed tears, too.

"See you soon, mum. I miss you."

Joshua's mum waved, and the video cut off. Joshua locked his phone and shoved it in his pocket, then started doodling in his notebook. He wasn't in the mood to play around with music anymore.

 

***

 

"Breathe, it's just Jun," Junghan assured him as he squeezed Joshua's hand. "You've got his phone number, you know what he's like; don't be nervous. You've been here before."

Joshua nodded, twice, three times, and changed his grip on Junghan's hand so their fingers were slotted together.

Junghan didn't even knock, just opened the door to Jun's apartment. Joshua readjusted his grip on the bottle of cheap booze in his hand that wasn't holding Junghan's, and stepped inside. They took off their shoes, then Junghan took the bottle from Joshua.

Joshua was surprised, once again, by how nice Jun's apartment looked. Everything matched, was clean, and none of the decor was over the top or gaudy. Junghan motioned for Joshua to go sit on the couch next to Minghao, Jun's soulmate, then went to put the alcohol in Jun's fridge. Joshua made his way to the couch, waving hello to Minghao as he sat down.

Minghao was a nice kid, a little shy -- but that was possibly because of the language barrier. Joshua had heard a little about Minghao from Vernon, due to them school friends, and had met Minghao a couple times at the cafe.

Joshua looked around absently, just looking at the little knick knacks Jun had around his home, as he waited for something to happen. Minghao was playing around on his phone and Joshua could hear snatches of a whispered conversation between Jun and Junghan. He wondered what they were talking about, but didn't care enough to go over and find out

 

Junghan had been right, Jun could cook. When Jun served dinner, towering plates of food placed on a towel on his lounge room floor because he didn't have a dining table, just the smell of it had Joshua's mouth watering.

Jun handed out plates and chopsticks, then joined Minghao on the couch. Junghan sat down on the floor and gestured for Joshua to join him. Joshua got off the couch and sat cross legged next to Junghan, then followed the others in piling his plate with food.

The evening went well, much better than the dinner with Junghan's parents had. Full of laughter and joking around, and Jun and Junghan getting more than a little tipsy from the cheap bottle of wine Junghan had brought around. Joshua had seen Jun a pull a second bottle out, but he was choosing to ignore that. He didn't even want to think about the amount of damage they were probably doing to their livers.

At the time of night when the line between late and early gets blurry, Junghan announced it was time for him and Joshua to get going. Joshua helped Junghan put on his shoes, with much complaining from the long haired man.

"I'm not drunk, Shua! I can do it," Junghan whined, his cheeks flushed.

Joshua ran his hand down Junghan's head, stopping at his jaw to cup his cheek. "Junghan," he said carefully, "you can hardly stand upright. Do you think you can tie your own shoelaces?"

Junghan nodded and bent over, lost his balance, and fell backwards onto his . "In my defence --" he brought a hand up to emphasise his point, his index finger raised "-- my balance was never that good to begin with."

"Really?" Joshua questioned, an eyebrow raised. Junghan nodded and tied up his shoelace, then reached a hand up. Joshua grabbed it and helped Junghan stand up.

"I might need your help to get home, though. What time is it?"

Joshua slipped his shoes on and wrapped an arm around Junghan's waist. He guided Junghan out the door and listened for a click to show someone had locked it behind them before trying to move forward.

Junghan gasped. "Shua! I didn't say goodbye to Jun!" He tried to turn around, but Joshua's arm around his waist stopped him from wiggling around too much.

"You can message him after we've gotten you home, OK? I'm sure he'll understand."

Junghan nodded and started moving forward. It wasn't quite a stumble, but it definitely wasn't his usual gait. In the block to the bus stop, Junghan had stopped no less than eight times to insist something about the dark or the city smog or how they should definitely go on a camping trip to see all the pretty stars. Apparently drunk Junghan was incapable of multitasking.

Junghan fell asleep on the bus, his head tucked into the crook of Joshua's neck and legs thrown over Joshua's. Joshua wasn't sure if it was a blessing or a curse. It meant the bus ride would be relatively simple, only having to put up with the occasional glances from other passengers, but it also meant having to wake Junghan up when the bus stopped.

Joshua decided to think about that problem when the time came, and to just enjoy having Junghan so close.

Thankfully, Junghan roused when the bus pulled to a stop. The short nap seemed to have energised Junghan, who walked the rest of the way to his home with much more vigour.

When they reached the door to the apartment, Junghan stopped so Joshua could dig the key out of one of Junghan's jacket pockets.

"Make sure you're quiet, Shua. Mum and dad are home. Shh." He put a finger to his lips.

Joshua nodded as he slipped the key into the lock. "Yes, Junghan. Shh." 

The door was barely open before Junghan took hold of Joshua's forearm, dragging him through to his room.

"Junghan, the door. And our shoes," Joshua reminded him. He collapsed onto his bed and kicked his shoes off.

"Go close it then come back to sleep. It's late."

Joshua turned to do just that.

"Or leave. If you want."

Joshua toed his shoes off at Junghan's bedroom door, picked them up, and carried them to the front door. Then he grabbed the key out the door, closed and locked it again, left his shoes amongst the pile, and headed back to Junghan's bedroom.

"You came back to say goodbye!" Junghan exclaimed, his face the picture of excitement. Then he winced and raised a finger to his lips. "Shh, Shua, shh."

Joshua nodded, his lips tugging into a fond smile. He lifted one of the top corners of Junghan's blanket. "I not saying goodbye, silly, I'm staying the night." Junghan's smile lit up even more and he dove under the covers.

Once they were settled in and cuddling, Joshua felt a hand make its way under his shirt, up his stomach, and rest on his chest. Junghan's open mouth pressed against his throat, and Junghan's whole body shifted. Joshua could feel Junghan's pressed against his thigh.

"Shua, I know we talked about it, but please? Just a little something tonight. I haven't had since I met you and its killing me."

Joshua shifted his legs away from Junghan. "Yeah, we talked about it. We agreed not to do anything like that until we meet our other soulmate, remember." Joshua tried to soften his voice, to sound gentle but firm.

Junghan whined and pressed kisses to Joshua's throat and what he could get to of Joshua's collarbones. "It doesn't have to be , Shua. I'll be gentle, I promise. You don't need to be nervous."

Joshua pulled away and sat up, the blanket pooling around his waist. "Junghan, no. I don't want to."

Junghan sat up, too, and rested his head on Joshua's shoulder. Joshua felt something tiny and wet hit his shoulder. Junghan was crying.

"Sorry, I just want to feel close to you and know that you're not too disappointed to have me as a soulmate."

It was said in such a small voice that Joshua would have missed it if it weren't for the near silence of the night, not even any cars or buses passing by on the street below. Junghan gave Joshua a hug before laying back down, his body turned so he was facing the edge of the bed.

Joshua blinked a few times, ran a hand through his hair, and went through everything he knew about Junghan. He heard a few quiet sniffles, and reached a hand out to rest on Junghan's hip.

Junghan hadn't said or done anything to show that was how he felt, had he? Joshua hadn't missed anything, had he?

But it had sounded so sincere that it couldn't be a way to get into Joshua's pants -- Junghan didn't seem like that kind of person.

Joshua laid down on his back, his arm against Junghan's shoulder blade, and tangled their legs together.

Well, .